strange problem in running c++ program...

Discussion in 'C++' started by kunal, Dec 16, 2006.

  1. kunal

    kunal Guest

    Hello Friends,
    I am facing a strange problem which i would like to share with you
    people and get ur ideas and knowledge about it. Whenever i try to run a
    C++ program after successfully compiling i get the following error.

    The title of the window is: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
    c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe -tc
    The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
    CS: c000 IP:359e OP: 0f 03 20 12 03 Chose 'Close' to terminate the
    application.

    I only get two options one is close on clicking close the tc program
    ends and if click the ignore button then the screen goes blank. now i
    have an AMD Turion 64 bit dual core processor. Intially when i used to
    run the c++ programs on intel processors it never gave me any issues.
    so is the problem due to the processor. if it is then can you tell me
    the solution and if it is not due to the processor what problem would
    it be and what could be the solution.

    Thanks in advance
    Kunal Ramesh Lalwani
    Sr Process Executive.
    Styx Infosoft Pvt Ltd
    ahmedabad 380054
    (091) 9979391229 (M)

    kunal, Dec 16, 2006

  2. On 2006-12-16 20:08, kunal wrote:
    > Hello Friends,
    > I am facing a strange problem which i would like to share with you
    > people and get ur ideas and knowledge about it. Whenever i try to run a
    > C++ program after successfully compiling i get the following error.
    >
    > The title of the window is: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
    > c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe -tc
    > The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
    > CS: c000 IP:359e OP: 0f 03 20 12 03 Chose 'Close' to terminate the
    > application.
    >

    > I only get two options one is close on clicking close the tc program
    > ends and if click the ignore button then the screen goes blank. now i
    > have an AMD Turion 64 bit dual core processor. Intially when i used to
    > run the c++ programs on intel processors it never gave me any issues.
    > so is the problem due to the processor. if it is then can you tell me
    > the solution and if it is not due to the processor what problem would
    > it be and what could be the solution.

    Seem like you compiled the program for the wrong CPU, check out your
    compiler-documentation. It's also possible that you compiled your
    application as a 64-bit application but are running a 32-bit OS. You
    should ask in a Windows-group since this seems to be a Windows-problem.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Dec 16, 2006

  3. kunal

    Salt_Peter Guest

    kunal wrote:
    > Hello Friends,
    > I am facing a strange problem which i would like to share with you
    > people and get ur ideas and knowledge about it. Whenever i try to run a
    > C++ program after successfully compiling i get the following error.
    >
    > The title of the window is: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
    > c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe -tc
    > The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
    > CS: c000 IP:359e OP: 0f 03 20 12 03 Chose 'Close' to terminate the
    > application.
    >

    > I only get two options one is close on clicking close the tc program
    > ends and if click the ignore button then the screen goes blank. now i
    > have an AMD Turion 64 bit dual core processor. Intially when i used to
    > run the c++ programs on intel processors it never gave me any issues.
    > so is the problem due to the processor. if it is then can you tell me
    > the solution and if it is not due to the processor what problem would
    > it be and what could be the solution.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Kunal Ramesh Lalwani
    > Sr Process Executive.
    > Styx Infosoft Pvt Ltd
    > ahmedabad 380054
    > (091) 9979391229 (M)

    [OT] Your off-topic here. Try an MS newsgroup for your particular
    platform.

    If i recall, cmd only supports 32 bit applications. Try using
    command.com instead.
    You also have the option of configuring a shortcut with the appropriate
    compatibility mode, etc.
    I can't really provide any additional details since i don't run Windows.

    Salt_Peter, Dec 16, 2006
  4. kunal

    kunal Guest

    Salt_Peter wrote:
    > kunal wrote:
    > > Hello Friends,
    > > I am facing a strange problem which i would like to share with you
    > > people and get ur ideas and knowledge about it. Whenever i try to run a
    > > C++ program after successfully compiling i get the following error.
    > >
    > > The title of the window is: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
    > > c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe -tc
    > > The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
    > > CS: c000 IP:359e OP: 0f 03 20 12 03 Chose 'Close' to terminate the
    > > application.
    > >

    > > I only get two options one is close on clicking close the tc program
    > > ends and if click the ignore button then the screen goes blank. now i
    > > have an AMD Turion 64 bit dual core processor. Intially when i used to
    > > run the c++ programs on intel processors it never gave me any issues.
    > > so is the problem due to the processor. if it is then can you tell me
    > > the solution and if it is not due to the processor what problem would
    > > it be and what could be the solution.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > > Kunal Ramesh Lalwani
    > > Sr Process Executive.
    > > Styx Infosoft Pvt Ltd
    > > ahmedabad 380054
    > > (091) 9979391229 (M)

    > [OT] Your off-topic here. Try an MS newsgroup for your particular
    > platform.
    >
    > If i recall, cmd only supports 32 bit applications. Try using
    > command.com instead.
    > You also have the option of configuring a shortcut with the appropriate
    > compatibility mode, etc.
    > I can't really provide any additional details since i don't run Windows.

    Well thanks for your help but right now i have installed windows xp
    professional service pack 2 which is only designed for a 32 bit
    processor hence i couldnt use the power of the dual core processor. but
    still i will try to get a solution to this problem.

    Thank you for ur help and support
    Thanks in advance

    kunal, Dec 17, 2006
  5. kunal wrote:
    > Salt_Peter wrote:
    >
    >>kunal wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello Friends,
    >>>I am facing a strange problem which i would like to share with you
    >>>people and get ur ideas and knowledge about it. Whenever i try to run a
    >>>C++ program after successfully compiling i get the following error.
    >>>
    >>>The title of the window is: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
    >>>c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe -tc
    >>>The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
    >>>CS: c000 IP:359e OP: 0f 03 20 12 03 Chose 'Close' to terminate the
    >>>application.
    >>>

    >>>I only get two options one is close on clicking close the tc program
    >>>ends and if click the ignore button then the screen goes blank. now i
    >>>have an AMD Turion 64 bit dual core processor. Intially when i used to
    >>>run the c++ programs on intel processors it never gave me any issues.
    >>>so is the problem due to the processor. if it is then can you tell me
    >>>the solution and if it is not due to the processor what problem would
    >>>it be and what could be the solution.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance
    >>>Kunal Ramesh Lalwani
    >>>Sr Process Executive.
    >>>Styx Infosoft Pvt Ltd
    >>>ahmedabad 380054
    >>>(091) 9979391229 (M)

    >>[OT] Your off-topic here. Try an MS newsgroup for your particular
    >>platform.
    >>
    >>If i recall, cmd only supports 32 bit applications. Try using
    >>command.com instead.
    >>You also have the option of configuring a shortcut with the appropriate
    >>compatibility mode, etc.
    >>I can't really provide any additional details since i don't run Windows.

    > Well thanks for your help but right now i have installed windows xp
    > professional service pack 2 which is only designed for a 32 bit
    > processor hence i couldnt use the power of the dual core processor. but
    > still i will try to get a solution to this problem.
    >
    > Thank you for ur help and support
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    >>>Kunal Ramesh Lalwani
    >>>Sr Process Executive.
    >>>Styx Infosoft Pvt Ltd
    >>>ahmedabad 380054
    >>>(091) 9979391229 (M)

    Sr Process Executive !!! what the hell is that?

    Uenal S. Mutlu, Dec 17, 2006
  6. kunal

    frame Guest

    Uenal S. Mutlu wrote:

    > Sr Process Executive !!! what the hell is that?

    Hey! don't break wind???...
    [NOTE: As long as you post this kind of stuff in this group, I shall
    follow up with this advice!]

    frame, Dec 17, 2006
  7. kunal

    Salt_Peter Guest

    Re: [OT] strange problem in running c++ program...

    kunal wrote:
    > Salt_Peter wrote:
    > > kunal wrote:
    > > > Hello Friends,
    > > > I am facing a strange problem which i would like to share with you
    > > > people and get ur ideas and knowledge about it. Whenever i try to run a
    > > > C++ program after successfully compiling i get the following error.
    > > >
    > > > The title of the window is: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
    > > > c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe -tc
    > > > The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
    > > > CS: c000 IP:359e OP: 0f 03 20 12 03 Chose 'Close' to terminate the
    > > > application.
    > > >

    > > > I only get two options one is close on clicking close the tc program
    > > > ends and if click the ignore button then the screen goes blank. now i
    > > > have an AMD Turion 64 bit dual core processor. Intially when i used to
    > > > run the c++ programs on intel processors it never gave me any issues.
    > > > so is the problem due to the processor. if it is then can you tell me
    > > > the solution and if it is not due to the processor what problem would
    > > > it be and what could be the solution.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance
    > > > Kunal Ramesh Lalwani
    > > > Sr Process Executive.
    > > > Styx Infosoft Pvt Ltd
    > > > ahmedabad 380054
    > > > (091) 9979391229 (M)

    > > [OT] Your off-topic here. Try an MS newsgroup for your particular
    > > platform.
    > >
    > > If i recall, cmd only supports 32 bit applications. Try using
    > > command.com instead.
    > > You also have the option of configuring a shortcut with the appropriate
    > > compatibility mode, etc.
    > > I can't really provide any additional details since i don't run Windows.

    > Well thanks for your help but right now i have installed windows xp
    > professional service pack 2 which is only designed for a 32 bit
    > processor hence i couldnt use the power of the dual core processor. but
    > still i will try to get a solution to this problem.
    >
    > Thank you for ur help and support
    > Thanks in advance
    > > > Kunal Ramesh Lalwani
    > > > Sr Process Executive.
    > > > Styx Infosoft Pvt Ltd
    > > > ahmedabad 380054
    > > > (091) 9979391229 (M)

    [OT]
    XP does support dual-core, you have to change the HAL (hardware
    abstraction layer).

    How to force a Hardware Abstraction Layer during an upgrade or an
    installation of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299340 ( see ACPI Multiprocessor PC )

    A 32-bit operating system will not become a 64-bit OS once you
    reconfigure it for dual-core.
    A 32-bit dual-core is not a 64 bit processor. This system's
    architecture, for example, is a 64-bit dual-core and that is not a
    128-bit processor. It just runs on a 64-bit OS with SMP.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric_multiprocessing

    Again. you should refer your questions to the appropriate newsgroups.

    Salt_Peter, Dec 17, 2006
  8. kunal

    White Wolf Guest

    Uenal S. Mutlu wrote:
    [SNIP]
    > Sr Process Executive !!! what the hell is that?

    Just another thing you will never understand. Don't sweat it.

    --
    WW aka Attila
    :::

    White Wolf, Dec 19, 2006