strange problem in running c++ program...

kunal

Hello Friends,
I am facing a strange problem which i would like to share with you
people and get ur ideas and knowledge about it. Whenever i try to run a
C++ program after successfully compiling i get the following error.

The title of the window is: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe -tc
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
CS: c000 IP:359e OP: 0f 03 20 12 03 Chose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

I only get two options one is close on clicking close the tc program
ends and if click the ignore button then the screen goes blank. now i
have an AMD Turion 64 bit dual core processor. Intially when i used to
run the c++ programs on intel processors it never gave me any issues.
so is the problem due to the processor. if it is then can you tell me
the solution and if it is not due to the processor what problem would
it be and what could be the solution.

Thanks in advance
Kunal Ramesh Lalwani
Sr Process Executive.
Styx Infosoft Pvt Ltd
ahmedabad 380054
(091) 9979391229 (M)

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

[...]

Seem like you compiled the program for the wrong CPU, check out your
compiler-documentation. It's also possible that you compiled your
application as a 64-bit application but are running a 32-bit OS. You
should ask in a Windows-group since this seems to be a Windows-problem.

Salt_Peter

kunal said:
[...]

[OT] Your off-topic here. Try an MS newsgroup for your particular
platform.

If i recall, cmd only supports 32 bit applications. Try using
command.com instead.
You also have the option of configuring a shortcut with the appropriate
compatibility mode, etc.
I can't really provide any additional details since i don't run Windows.

kunal

Salt_Peter said:
kunal said:
[...]

Well thanks for your help but right now i have installed windows xp
professional service pack 2 which is only designed for a 32 bit
processor hence i couldnt use the power of the dual core processor. but
still i will try to get a solution to this problem.

Thank you for ur help and support
Thanks in advance

Uenal S. Mutlu

kunal said:
Salt_Peter said:
kunal said:
[...]

Sr Process Executive !!! what the hell is that?

frame

Uenal said:
Sr Process Executive !!! what the hell is that?

Hey! don't break wind???...
[NOTE: As long as you post this kind of stuff in this group, I shall
follow up with this advice!]

Salt_Peter

kunal said:
Salt_Peter said:
kunal said:
[...]

[OT]
XP does support dual-core, you have to change the HAL (hardware
abstraction layer).

How to force a Hardware Abstraction Layer during an upgrade or an
installation of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299340 ( see ACPI Multiprocessor PC )

A 32-bit operating system will not become a 64-bit OS once you
reconfigure it for dual-core.
A 32-bit dual-core is not a 64 bit processor. This system's
architecture, for example, is a 64-bit dual-core and that is not a
128-bit processor. It just runs on a 64-bit OS with SMP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric_multiprocessing

Again. you should refer your questions to the appropriate newsgroups.