Strange Problem With Asp.Net WebService,Help Needed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by batista, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. batista

    batista Guest

    Hi there,

    My problem is that, i've created a simple hello world web service
    project, and then, when i run it to test the operation,the invoke
    button does not open any window.

    I mean there is no response when i click the invoke button, no window
    containing the output opens.

    It just does nothing, no error no exception nothing.

    Just to clarify,

    my web service url is this
    http://localhost/TestWS/Service1.asmx, when i browse it,
    it displays helloworld function
    the url is

    http://localhost/TestWS/Service1.asmx?op=HelloWorld, and it's written

    "To test the operation using the HTTP POST protocol, click the 'Invoke'

    button "

    now when i click on the invoke button link it does nothing?
    why?????????

    But when i try to browse the url

    http://localhost/TestWS/Service1.asmx/op=HelloWorld

    it gives me the following exception:

    System.InvalidOperationException: Request format is unrecognized

    BTW, i'm using asp.net v1.1..

    So now plz any help on this.....

    Wats wrong in this.???????????

    batista, Jan 24, 2006

  2. batista

    CG Guest

    You might want to enable tracing. That way you will be able to find out if
    Web Service is working fine on the server. If your web service fails, you
    would not get error message if not programmed correctly.

    CG, Jan 25, 2006

  3. batista

    RyanRounkles Guest

    I am having a similar problem, but only on one machine. On my desktop, the
    web service (for testing purposes the template with "hello world" section
    uncommented) works fine. On my notebook, the WSDL form works, as does the
    ?op=HelloWorld page. However, clicking on the "Invoke" button opens a blank
    "the page cannot be displayed" generice IE error. I have tried reinstalling
    IIS (no affect). I am VERY reluctant to reinstall .NET, as I have had no
    other problems on this machine.

    Both Desktop and Notebook are Windows XP Pro SP2 with all the latest
    patches.

    Thanks!

    Ryan

    RyanRounkles, Jan 30, 2006
  4. batista

    klynn Guest

    Did you ever figure out this problem> I have the exact same problem. On one
    machine it works fine. On the other, it doesn't work at all.
    Karen

    klynn, Apr 20, 2006
  5. batista

    RyanRounkles Guest

    I did find a solution to the problem, although I don't like it. I had to
    uninstall ALL versions of visual studio, followed by uninstalling all
    versions of .NET (which took SQL 2005 with it), then uninstalling IIS (in
    windows components). After that was all cleaned out, I installed IIS +
    FrontPage extensions again, rebooted, then installed everything I had removed
    (VS 03 & 05). At that point, everything was working again (even if I had to
    waste a day doing it).

    Hope this helps!

    Ryan

    RyanRounkles, Apr 21, 2006
  6. batista

    klynn Guest

    nope. I moved the app to another machine (XP) where it works. Problem is on
    my Win2000 machine. But I would like to know why its not working.
    Karen

    klynn, May 3, 2006