Strange problem

Phil Hunt

I have a VB6 application calling a .NET 20. web service. It is sucessful on
20 of all the workstation. However on one workstation I got this message
"The Operation is only supported on Windows 200 SP3 or higher ...." The
thing is they are all XP Sp 1a machine set up exactly the same. I tried
repair the .Net framewok 2.0 and still got the same message. Does anyone
know what the real problem could be ??

Thanks.

AMDRIT

Are you simply using msxmlhttp and generating soap requests manually? If
so, then the 2.0 framework on the client side has nothing to do with the
error you are recieving. Also, I think you will find that the issue machine
is not configured exactly as the other 20 are. Look at your calling
statement, are you using late binding (createobject) or have the component
as a reference and using the New statement?

Your target machine may be grabbing a dll that is a different version than
on the other machines. Perhaps it was copied from a Win2K machine and not
an XP build?

Phil Hunt

Thanks. But I did think about all the possibility you raised here.
This much I know for sure:
1) All the machines are ghosted from the same image. (they are all legit
machine, it's just too much work to set each up individually)
2) There is no Win2K machine there, it's either NT or XP.
3) I am using early binding, and the exe and dll are all the same. No chance
to grab the wrong dll because it is really the first .Net deployment.