Strange Request Size problem

Marina

Hi,

When posting to a particular ASP.NET page from ASP, we get a generic DNS
error when one of the form variables gets beyond around 1290 characters or
so. The error can litterally be eliminated and reproduced by the deletion or
addition of a single character

Now, the maxrequestlength in machine.config is at 4096KB - which is around
4MB. There is no way we are going over this. And there is no .NET error -
there is a generic DNS error. And again, the size of what is being posted is
so small compared to the limit. However, there doesn't seem to be any
information on what else could be causing this.

Any ideas?

bruce barker

you are probably doing a form GET which encodes all the form data in the
URL. there is no set min length for a URL. common limits are 2k and 4k. IE
and wininet have a 4k limit (but because they use unicode internally, its
actually a 2k limit). 1290 + site url + other form fields is pretty close to
the 2k limit. switch from a GET to a POST, which will not limit form data
length.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Marina

We are actually doing a post to the asp.net page.

However, through some more digging, it seems as if this asp.net page, may be
doing a redirect to yet another page: and putting the form values in the
URL. We are still trying to investigate to see exactly what is going on.

If this is the case, then your answer would definitely explain it.

Thanks.