Strange `Storable' behavior

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Lev Serebryakov, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. Hello, perl hackers!

    I write script, whcih process some data step-by-step. Each step takes
    some time (typical time is from 1 to 10 minutes, depends on input data)
    and each step could fail.
    I store full state of processing after each step with `Storable'
    module. Full state is describing by array of references: some references
    to array and some references to hashes. After first step only first
    array is not empty (it contains parsed input data), after second step
    some data is in some hashes, etc.
    I see very strange timings of Storable::store() function calls. After
    first 3 steps it is small (about 10 seconds for very big amount of input
    data), after 4th step it is very big (about 240 seconds for same input
    data), and after 5th step it is small again (12-14 seconds).
    But each step only ADDS data tosaved state. So, every next dump is
    GREATER in size that previous. And results of 4th step PRESENTS in
    results of step 5. But results of 4th step are saved 20 times longer!
    What does it mean and how this could be fixed?

    I use Activestate's perl 5.8.0 on Win2K Pro.

    --
    Lev Serebryakov

    Lev Serebryakov, Sep 27, 2003