    thnk u

    --
    mfg, heinrich :)

    Heinrich Pumpernickel, Dec 4, 2007

  2. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    U Guest

    On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:52:35 -0800 (PST), Heinrich Pumpernickel <> wrote:

    > i got the following strange extra question in a written test today .

    There's nothing really strange about that question; I used to ask these
    kind of extra credit question all the time.

    > since the test was abt c/c++

    Are there really combined C / C++ courses these days?

    > i guess this is on topic here

    Probably not (although I have no idea where it might be topical).

    > --8<--
    >
    > 22) Consider the following quote:
    >
    > "If Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, Pluto's a dog... What's Goofy?"
    >
    > a) Who said that?

    <OT> I KNOW!!!1 </OT>

    Gordie Lachance (see, only takes 1 minute to find out)

    > b) What is the correct answer to that question?

    Inconclusive...

    b.1) "Goofy's a dog! He's definitely a dog."

    b.2) "He can't be a dog. He wears a hat and drives a car."

    b.3) "That's wierd! What the hell *IS* Goofy?"

    Extra-extra credit: Who said these lines, and where?

    > doz ne1 know?

    ???

    > thnk u

    Well, um... you're wlcm.

    U, Dec 5, 2007

  3. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Mark P Guest

    Heinrich Pumpernickel wrote:
    > i got the following strange extra question in a written test
    > today . since the test was abt c/c++ i guess this is on topic here
    >
    > --8<--
    >
    > 22) Consider the following quote:
    >
    > "If Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, Pluto's a dog... What's Goofy?"
    >
    > a) Who said that?
    > b) What is the correct answer to that question?
    >
    > --8<--
    >
    > doz ne1 know?
    >
    > thnk u
    >
    > --
    > mfg, heinrich :)

    23) Multiple choice:
    a. Haven't you heard of Google?
    b. No, it's not on topic
    c. We speak English here, not txt
    d. All of the above

    Mark P, Dec 5, 2007
  4. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Joel Haugen Guest

    Heinrich Pumpernickel wrote:
    > i got the following strange extra question in a written test
    > today . since the test was abt c/c++ i guess this is on topic here
    >
    > --8<--
    >
    > 22) Consider the following quote:
    >
    > "If Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, Pluto's a dog... What's Goofy?"
    >
    > a) Who said that?
    > b) What is the correct answer to that question?
    >
    > --8<--
    >
    > doz ne1 know?
    >
    > thnk u
    >
    > --
    > mfg, heinrich :)

    Too bad this is off-topic but it was from the movie Stand By Me (I
    think) and I believe that the answer is a dog.

    Joel Haugen, Dec 5, 2007
  5. Heinrich Pumpernickel wrote:
    > i got the following strange extra question in a written test
    > today . since the test was abt c/c++ i guess this is on topic here

    The mythical language "c/c++" is not topical in either comp.lang.c or
    comp.lang.c++.

    > 22) Consider the following quote:
    >
    > "If Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, Pluto's a dog... What's Goofy?"
    >
    > a) Who said that?
    > b) What is the correct answer to that question?

    <http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2/frontend.php/question?qid=20070812180505AAajO3n>
    labels as the best answer: "An adjective".

    see also
    <http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070425182001AAN1dBe>
    <http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_077.html>
    <http://ask.metafilter.com/31890/What-is-the-deal-with-Goofy-and-Pluto>

    What was your C question? What was your C++ question? Why can't you
    post to the one concerned with the language you use? Why not post to
    the Fortran, Lisp, and Cobol newsgroups as well?

    Martin Ambuhl, Dec 5, 2007
  6. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    CBFalconer Guest

    [OT] Re: strange test question

    Joel Haugen wrote:
    > Heinrich Pumpernickel wrote:
    >
    >> i got the following strange extra question in a written test
    >> today. since the test was abt c/c++ i guess this is on topic here
    >>
    >> 22) Consider the following quote:
    >>
    >> "If Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, Pluto's a dog...
    >> What's Goofy?"
    >>
    >> a) Who said that?
    >> b) What is the correct answer to that question?

    > Too bad this is off-topic but it was from the movie Stand By Me
    > (I think) and I believe that the answer is a dog.

    What's goofy is the foolish action of posting this on c.l.c.

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, Dec 5, 2007
  7. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Chris Dollin Guest

    Heinrich Pumpernickel wrote:

    > i got the following strange extra question in a written test
    > today . since the test was abt c/c++ i guess this is on topic here

    *ping*

    No.

    > 22) Consider the following quote:
    >
    > "If Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, Pluto's a dog... What's Goofy?"
    >
    > a) Who said that?

    No-one. Standard C doesn't have any functions for saying anything. It's
    just a string literal.

    > b) What is the correct answer to that question?

    "Question 22".

    > doz ne1 know?

    You don't have to use an acoustic coupler on an analog phone line any more.

    --
    Chris "mary hopkins" Dollin

    Chris Dollin, Dec 5, 2007
  8. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Doug Guest

    On Dec 5, 8:43 am, CBFalconer <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > What's goofy is the foolish action of posting this on c.l.c.

    What's goofy is that this is pretty obviously just a troll to get you
    all stirred up. Probably some newbie you regulars were "charming" to,
    but could also be just a simple troll.

    A couple of non-regulars took it in the sprit in which it was intended
    and played along. All the regs started jumping up and down shouting
    OT in a highly predictable fashion. OP seems to have acheived his
    goal.

    Although the best course of action here would have been to ignore the
    post, I don't mind people playing with the trolls now and then. But
    feeding them (i.e. shouting OT) is like shouting at the wind. Better
    to just save your breath.

    Why is my compiler so slow today...

    Doug

    Doug, Dec 5, 2007
  9. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Chris Dollin Guest

    Doug wrote:

    > On Dec 5, 8:43 am, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> What's goofy is the foolish action of posting this on c.l.c.

    > What's goofy is that this is pretty obviously just a troll to get you
    > all stirred up. Probably some newbie you regulars were "charming" to,
    > but could also be just a simple troll.
    >
    > A couple of non-regulars took it in the sprit in which it was intended
    > and played along. All the regs

    All? Not yet-here, all.

    > started jumping up and down shouting OT in a highly predictable fashion.

    I should be less predictable, or less regular.

    But it was indeed seriously off-topic.

    --
    Chris "noise" Dollin

    Hewlett-Packard Limited registered no:

    Chris Dollin, Dec 5, 2007
  10. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    santosh Guest

    Doug wrote:

    > On Dec 5, 8:43 am, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> What's goofy is the foolish action of posting this on c.l.c.

    > What's goofy is that this is pretty obviously just a troll to get you
    > all stirred up. Probably some newbie you regulars were "charming" to,
    > but could also be just a simple troll.

    No. Pumpernickel has trolled here on and off for quite some time. It's
    disappointing how many posters chose to respond to him.

    > A couple of non-regulars took it in the sprit in which it was intended
    > and played along. All the regs started jumping up and down shouting
    > OT in a highly predictable fashion. OP seems to have acheived his
    > goal.

    No. The post is a troll and a troll post is always OT. So the "regulars"
    are correct.

    But both the "regulars" and the others should not have responded at all
    in the first place to this blatant troll.

    > Although the best course of action here would have been to ignore the
    > post,

    Agreed.

    > I don't mind people playing with the trolls now and then.

    Oh no. Trolls have destroyed some groups.

    > But feeding them (i.e. shouting OT) is like shouting at the wind.
    > Better to just save your breath.

    Yes. Feeding them is unwise, but this applies to all respondents
    concerned, not just those who said OT. Even you and me are responsible
    for keeping this useless thread going.

    This will be my last post to this thread.

    <snip>

    santosh, Dec 5, 2007
  11. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Default User Guest

    Doug wrote:

    > A couple of non-regulars took it in the sprit in which it was intended
    > and played along. All the regs started jumping up and down shouting
    > OT in a highly predictable fashion. OP seems to have acheived his
    > goal.

    Didn't I plonk you already? Maybe it was at home. Rectified.

    Brian

    Default User, Dec 5, 2007
  12. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Doug Guest

    On Dec 5, 7:23 pm, "Default User" <> wrote:
    > Doug wrote:
    > > A couple of non-regulars took it in the sprit in which it was intended
    > > and played along. All the regs started jumping up and down shouting
    > > OT in a highly predictable fashion. OP seems to have acheived his
    > > goal.

    > Didn't I plonk you already? Maybe it was at home. Rectified.
    >
    > Brian

    Phew, that was close!

    Doug, Dec 5, 2007
  13. Doug said:

    > On Dec 5, 7:23 pm, "Default User" <> wrote:
    >> Doug wrote:
    >> > A couple of non-regulars took it in the sprit in which it was intended
    >> > and played along. All the regs started jumping up and down shouting
    >> > OT in a highly predictable fashion. OP seems to have acheived his
    >> > goal.

    >> Didn't I plonk you already? Maybe it was at home. Rectified.
    >>

    > Phew, that was close!

    But what do you *expect*, if you say dumb things? Any statement including
    the words "all the regs" is very likely to be wrong, especially in a
    cross-posted thread. In fact, on this occasion most of the "regs" in clc
    didn't respond at all, and I would venture to suggest that most of those
    in clc++ didn't, either.

    If you want people to take you seriously, don't make silly claims. If you
    make enough silly claims (and you've made a great many, if I recall
    correctly), people will start killfiling you. If that is your objective,
    then well, okay - but it seems strange that someone should post to a
    newsgroup because they *don't* want people to read their articles.

    Email: -http://www. +rjh@

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 6, 2007
  14. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Doug Guest

    On Dec 6, 7:36 am, Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    > Doug said:

    > >> Didn't I plonk you already? Maybe it was at home. Rectified.

    > > Phew, that was close!

    > But what do you *expect*, if you say dumb things? Any statement including
    > the words "all the regs" is very likely to be wrong, especially in a
    > cross-posted thread. In fact, on this occasion most of the "regs" in clc
    > didn't respond at all, and I would venture to suggest that most of those
    > in clc++ didn't, either.

    Yep, I forgot how bloody pedantic "all the regs" are here. I should
    have said "many of the regs".
    I didn't reply to clc++ because that group's in much better condition,
    as far as I can see with my cursory daily glances. At least, it
    doesn't make me grimace with the thought "what an asshole" every day.

    > If you want people to take you seriously, don't make silly claims. If you
    > make enough silly claims (and you've made a great many, if I recall
    > correctly)

    Mmm. I'd be interested to know what these "great many" silly claims
    are.

    A few OT posts (wich you guys hate), one or two minor (imho, ymmv)
    errors, quickly corrected by others. And I'll point out, accepted by
    me.

    It is certainly not my intent to make "silly claims", and I appreciate
    corrections on techinical items. (And, as I've said before, I try not
    to post on techincal items [boredom beats me some days] because you
    guys cover it better.)

    But I'm not a great fan of my behaviour being corrected by obnoxious
    and arrogant social incompetents. (This is not primarily directed at
    you.)

    I'll try not to post further in this thread; it's a waste of time.
    Which, as has been mentioned upthread, is what "many of the regs"
    should have done in the first place.

    Doug, Dec 6, 2007
  15. Doug said:

    > On Dec 6, 7:36 am, Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >> Doug said:

    <snip>

    >> [...] Any statement
    >> including the words "all the regs" is very likely to be wrong,
    >> especially in a cross-posted thread. In fact, on this occasion most of
    >> the "regs" in clc didn't respond at all, and I would venture to suggest
    >> that most of those in clc++ didn't, either.

    > Yep, I forgot how bloody pedantic "all the regs" are here.

    Not all of them. Some aren't interested in accuracy (or "pedantry", as you
    call it).

    > I should
    > have said "many of the regs".

    Two, in fact, at the time that your article appeared on my newsfeed: Chuck
    Falconer and Martin Ambuhl. Hardly "many", let alone "all".

    <snip>

    > I'll try not to post further in this thread; it's a waste of time.
    > Which, as has been mentioned upthread, is what "many of the regs"
    > should have done in the first place.

    And that's exactly what "many of the regs" had done, at the time that you
    made your claim.

    If you want to be taken seriously, don't make silly claims.

    Email: -http://www. +rjh@

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 6, 2007
  16. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Doug Guest

    On Dec 6, 4:24 pm, Richard Heathfield <> wrote:

    > Not all of them. Some aren't interested in accuracy (or "pedantry", as you
    > call it).

    He he! That's very good. Nicely put, with the usual RH subtlety.
    Ok, I'll bite, but just this last time, just for you.

    I tend to expend my accuracy points on things that are actually
    important, not silly word games that make me feel superior. But since
    you like playing so much and have slipped in a few subtle personal
    insults along the way, I'll join the game.

    If 10% of the population had a problem with unctuosity, you could
    fairly claim that "many of the population...". 2 out of what I
    consider to be the number of regs here would therefore pass muster as
    "many".

    Your turn.

    <snip>

    > If you want to be taken seriously, don't make silly claims.

    Since you're just repeating yourself, I'll do the same.

    Doug, Dec 6, 2007
  17. Doug wrote:

    > I'm not a great fan of my behaviour being corrected by obnoxious
    > and arrogant social incompetents.

    And you would be what exactly?

    Welcome to the bitbucket.

    Mark McIntyre, Dec 6, 2007
  18. Doug said:

    <snip>

    > I'm not a great fan of my behaviour being corrected by obnoxious
    > and arrogant social incompetents.

    You may find it helpful to learn to distinguish between "people who post
    corrections to your incorrect statements" and "obnoxious and arrogant
    social incompetents". There is a significant difference.

    If you don't want your statements to be corrected, don't post incorrect
    statements.

    Email: -http://www. +rjh@

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 6, 2007
  19. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    CBFalconer Guest

    Doug wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Yep, I forgot how bloody pedantic "all the regs" are here. I
    > should have said "many of the regs". I didn't reply to clc++
    > because that group's in much better condition, as far as I can
    > see with my cursory daily glances. At least, it doesn't make me
    > grimace with the thought "what an asshole" every day.

    Point of order. Yes, you did post to c.l.c++. Look at the
    cross-posts configured. Of course, you could have removed the
    c.l.c++ cross-post if you really desired to.

    CBFalconer, Dec 6, 2007