Strange Threads Behaviour...

Discussion in 'Python' started by rodmc, May 3, 2006.

  1. rodmc

    rodmc Guest

    I have written an application which uses threads and the XMPP library -
    this is a library which supports the jabber instant messaging protocol.
    The application works fine when run from Idle, however I get thread
    errors when I try to run it as an EXE created with Py2Exe or when it is
    run within other editors such as SPE.

    I need to ship the application to end users so any pointers on thread
    handling when creating shipping apps would be useful.

    For reasons of confidentiality I cannot post all the source code,
    however the error log is below.

    Thanks in advance.

    Best,

    rod

    update (server adddress deleted)
    Jabber Login Successful
    Greg forced SASL not to be used. Auhentication fails if it is used.
    Warning: unable to perform SASL auth os (serger address deleted). Old
    authentication method used!
    idname:
    glocopex executing
    Exception in thread Thread-1 (most likely raised during interpreter
    shutdown):
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Python23\lib\threading.py", line 442, in __bootstrap
    File "I:\My Documents\pyscripts\Newclient\newclient.py", line 368, in
    run
    File "I:\My Documents\pyscripts\Newclient\newclient.py", line 404, in
    GoOn
    File "I:\My Documents\pyscripts\Newclient\newclient.py", line 399, in
    StepOn
    File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\xmpp\dispatcher.py", line 116, in
    Process
    File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\xmpp\transports.py", line 101, in
    receive
    Script terminated.

    rodmc, May 3, 2006

  2. > I have written an application which uses threads and the XMPP library -
    > this is a library which supports the jabber instant messaging protocol.
    > The application works fine when run from Idle, however I get thread
    > errors when I try to run it as an EXE created with Py2Exe or when it is
    > run within other editors such as SPE.
    >
    > I need to ship the application to end users so any pointers on thread
    > handling when creating shipping apps would be useful.
    >
    > For reasons of confidentiality I cannot post all the source code,
    > however the error log is below.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > rod
    >
    > update (server adddress deleted)
    > Jabber Login Successful
    > Greg forced SASL not to be used. Auhentication fails if it is used.
    > Warning: unable to perform SASL auth os (serger address deleted). Old
    > authentication method used!
    > idname:
    > glocopex executing
    > Exception in thread Thread-1 (most likely raised during interpreter
    > shutdown):
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "C:\Python23\lib\threading.py", line 442, in __bootstrap
    > File "I:\My Documents\pyscripts\Newclient\newclient.py", line 368, in
    > run
    > File "I:\My Documents\pyscripts\Newclient\newclient.py", line 404, in
    > GoOn
    > File "I:\My Documents\pyscripts\Newclient\newclient.py", line 399, in
    > StepOn
    > File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\xmpp\dispatcher.py", line 116, in
    > Process
    > File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\xmpp\transports.py", line 101, in
    > receive
    > Script terminated.

    I got errors in this style when shutting down a multi-threaded app. Does
    this appear by any chance when quitting your client? Then you can ignore
    it.

    diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, May 3, 2006

  3. rodmc

    rodmc Guest

    Hi Diez,

    No this occurs when the client is executed. Basically it runs as you
    see above then terminates. It should be noted that the errors involving
    the /xmpp libraries seem to change each time. I have no doubt it is
    connected to that, but the error does not happen at all when I run the
    client through IDLE.

    Best,

    rod

    rodmc, May 5, 2006