strange web page behavior

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by swp, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. swp

    swp Guest

    I have a site created using ASP, HTML, and JavaScript. I use frames
    to manage a few things, and requires SSL to connect. The site is on a
    secured network, not meant to be cross-browser compatible, and only
    works with IE 5.5 or higher. IIS v5 is used, with all patches
    applied. "Keep Alives" are enabled.

    I have a login page that uses session variables to know things about
    who logged in, such as preferences and what rights they have. I also
    have a logout page that records when a user terminates their session,
    either explicitly or by closing the browser window. All pages use a
    meta tag to automatically refresh the page every 10 minutes.

    All of this works wonderfully for all of the users, except 1.

    The Problem: On 1 client workstation, when the user hits the REFRESH
    button it terminates their session. Using right-click and selecting
    refresh from the popup menu works fine, refreshing the current page.
    This happens on any page within the site. The session terminating is
    recorded as a logout, per my logout page. The user sees a "page can
    not be displayed" error.

    The Questions:
    What is causing this on the client side?
    Shouldn't it do the same thing for all 3 ways of refreshing?
    Is it possible to "fix" or "deal with" this with code on the server
    side? (probably not)
    Is it a setting from the security or advanced tab in the browser?
    Will my headache ever go away?

    I am having a mental block on the cause of this...

    Thanks in advance for any and all help.

    swp
    swp, Jan 26, 2004

  2. swp

    Michael Guest

    1.-sure sounds like a browser/cookie problem to me, specifically the one
    that stores the session, it seems that your browser is dropping that cookie
    and the server thinks a whole new session is starting.
    Somethings you might try-
    -change your cookie security to accept all cookies, and see if it
    still does that behavior.
    -play around with global.asa, specifically the
    Session_OnStart/Session_OnEnd, do some kind of logging, to a textfile or
    something, that states when every session starts/ends

    2.-You would think that wouldn't you

    3.- You answered this one, I'm 99.9% this is a browser issue, unless you are
    doing some crazy Session.Abandon calls somewhere.

    4. - probably, same behavior on other pc's?

    5. - Depends, Advil, Aleve, or Motrin?

    --Michael

    Michael, Jan 26, 2004

  3. swp

    swp Guest

    1. yeah, that's what I thought too. Unfortunately, the local browser
    is set to accept all cookies. And I am already logging all session
    start/end event. Telling me that the session ended when the user hits
    REFRESH isnt exactly useful right now.

    2. I still think that all 3 ways of refreshing should produce the same
    result.

    3. no session.abandon calls used, except in the explicit logout
    procedure. Removing the logout procedure does not affect the REFRESH
    killing the session.

    4. This behavior only occurs on 1 machine, and any we clone from it
    using GHOST software.

    5. Excedrin Migrane is working for now ... I seem to have built up an
    immunity to Advil

    Thanks Mike. Any other thoughts? Anyone?

    swp

    swp, Jan 27, 2004