Strange Window.Open problem

Melissa

I have inherited an intranet ASP.NET (C#) page running on
Windows 2000.

The page populates a label control with some javascript
to open a pop-up to a document (xls, doc, pdf, etc.).
This is what is output onto the page:

<script language="javascript">
<!--
window.open("./SomeFolder/SomeDocument.doc");
//-->
</script>

If the user has javascript turned off there is also a
link provided.

Here's the problem:

The window.open has begun not allowing the document to
open. The File Download diaglogue initially appears then
the message "Cannot open {pathnamehere}." appears. The
odd thing is ... if you click the standard direct link it
opens no problem.

Another odd thing is when you open a brand new window and
type in the address manually it gives the same "Cannot
open" error.

I initially thought someone had mucked with permissions
but then why would it allow them to access it via direct
link.