    Thanks!

    David
    ..

    David Combs, Apr 10, 2011

  2. David Combs

    David Canzi Guest

    In article <inqv2p$s85$>,
    David Combs <> wrote:

    >Trying to load, on to xp, perl 5.12.
    >
    >Installation error meg:
    >
    > strawbery perl setup
    >
    > the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this
    >package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code
    >is 2908.
    >

    >Any suggestions?

    Search for 2908 in the strawberry perl documentation.

    Search Google for: strawberry perl 2908

    --
    David Canzi | Life is too short to point out every mistake. |

    David Canzi, Apr 10, 2011

  3. David Combs

    David Combs Guest

    In article <inssca$u8m$>,
    David Canzi <> wrote:
    >In article <inqv2p$s85$>,
    >David Combs <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Trying to load, on to xp, perl 5.12.
    >>
    >>Installation error meg:
    >>
    >> strawbery perl setup
    >>
    >> the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this
    >>package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code
    >>is 2908.
    >>

    >>Any suggestions?

    >Search for 2908 in the strawberry perl documentation.
    >
    >Search Google for: strawberry perl 2908
    >
    >--
    >David Canzi | Life is too short to point out every mistake. |

    I did the google you suggested. One guy said you have to use administrative
    priviledges. Well, here's the whole (short) thread (minus one signiture
    quotation):

    Comment on strawberry perl installation
    Re: strawberry perl installation
    by CountZero (Canon) on Jul 02, 2010 at 20:30 UTC
    Error code 2908 for MSI is "Could not register component".
    Try running the MSI installer under administrative privileges.

    CountZero

    [reply]
    Re^2: strawberry perl installation
    by rahed (Scribe) on Jul 03, 2010 at 12:39 UTC

    That was it, thank you. That's been the first time I had to use the
    administrator like this.

    Radek
    [reply]
    Re: strawberry perl installation
    by adsard (Initiate) on Dec 24, 2010 at 07:28 UTC

    I too am facing the same problem and I am installing with a user
    having administrative rights? Can there be some other cause to the
    issue?

    [reply]
    Re^2: strawberry perl installation
    by Anonymous Monk on Feb 07, 2011 at 03:14 UTC

    I thought I was installing Strawberry Perl as administrator (Using the
    default administrator logon that appears in Windows XP when you
    haven't created any other users) but I kept getting error 2908. It
    wasn't until I made a new user and gave them admin privileges that I
    could install without that error. When is an admin not an admin? When
    on Windows.

    [reply]
    Re: strawberry perl installation
    by Anonymous Monk on Feb 14, 2011 at 13:19 UTC
    Same problem!

    So now I'll go see about admin priviledges, and will
    report back.

    David

    David Combs, Apr 10, 2011
  4. David Combs

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    On 2011-04-10 23:59, David Combs wrote:

    > So now I'll go see about admin priviledges, and will
    > report back.

    IIRC, you can right-click and then "Run as ...".

    (though maybe that only exists on Win-NT)

    --
    Ruud

    Dr.Ruud, Apr 11, 2011