strawberry perl installation error num 2908 Huh?

David Combs

Trying to load, on to xp, perl 5.12.

Installation error meg:

strawbery perl setup

the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code is 2908.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

David
..

David Canzi

Trying to load, on to xp, perl 5.12.

Installation error meg:

strawbery perl setup

the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this
package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code
is 2908.

Any suggestions?

Search for 2908 in the strawberry perl documentation.

Search Google for: strawberry perl 2908

David Combs

Search for 2908 in the strawberry perl documentation.

Search Google for: strawberry perl 2908

I did the google you suggested. One guy said you have to use administrative
priviledges. Well, here's the whole (short) thread (minus one signiture
quotation):

Comment on strawberry perl installation
Re: strawberry perl installation
by CountZero (Canon) on Jul 02, 2010 at 20:30 UTC
Error code 2908 for MSI is "Could not register component".
Try running the MSI installer under administrative privileges.

CountZero

[reply]
Re^2: strawberry perl installation
by rahed (Scribe) on Jul 03, 2010 at 12:39 UTC

That was it, thank you. That's been the first time I had to use the
administrator like this.

Radek
[reply]
Re: strawberry perl installation
by adsard (Initiate) on Dec 24, 2010 at 07:28 UTC

I too am facing the same problem and I am installing with a user
having administrative rights? Can there be some other cause to the
issue?

[reply]
Re^2: strawberry perl installation
by Anonymous Monk on Feb 07, 2011 at 03:14 UTC

I thought I was installing Strawberry Perl as administrator (Using the
default administrator logon that appears in Windows XP when you
haven't created any other users) but I kept getting error 2908. It
wasn't until I made a new user and gave them admin privileges that I
could install without that error. When is an admin not an admin? When
on Windows.

[reply]
Re: strawberry perl installation
by Anonymous Monk on Feb 14, 2011 at 13:19 UTC
Same problem!

So now I'll go see about admin priviledges, and will
report back.

David

Dr.Ruud

So now I'll go see about admin priviledges, and will
report back.

IIRC, you can right-click and then "Run as ...".

(though maybe that only exists on Win-NT)