Streamable File Format + Interactivity

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by zaemin, May 9, 2004.

  1. zaemin

    zaemin Guest

    Hello,

    I'm designing streamable animation format like flash.

    I have some questions.

    My animation format has interactive feature by script. A designer can
    insert 'gotoFrame' action on the first frame to go to the end frame.
    So the player should access data stream randomly(any position of data
    stream at anytime). But in streaming case, the data for the end frame
    may not be in the buffer when the action is performed on the first
    frame. What can I do?

    I wonder what the flash does in this case.(Just waiting until the data
    of the end frame is downloaded?)

    And does the flash read data stream randomly for interactivity?(like
    me).

    Please give me some idea. Thank you.

    zaemin, May 9, 2004

  2. "zaemin" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm designing streamable animation format like flash.
    >
    > I have some questions.
    >
    > My animation format has interactive feature by script. A designer can
    > insert 'gotoFrame' action on the first frame to go to the end frame.
    > So the player should access data stream randomly(any position of data
    > stream at anytime). But in streaming case, the data for the end frame
    > may not be in the buffer when the action is performed on the first
    > frame. What can I do?

    u can build a stream with nodes, then load them as u need, and during idle
    time.

    > I wonder what the flash does in this case.(Just waiting until the data
    > of the end frame is downloaded?)
    >
    > And does the flash read data stream randomly for interactivity?(like
    > me).
    >
    > Please give me some idea. Thank you.

    np

    Martin Johansen, May 9, 2004

  3. "zaemin" <> wrote in message
    > I'm designing streamable animation format like flash.
    >
    > I have some questions.
    >
    > My animation format has interactive feature by script. A designer can
    > insert 'gotoFrame' action on the first frame to go to the end frame.
    > So the player should access data stream randomly(any position of data
    > stream at anytime). But in streaming case, the data for the end frame
    > may not be in the buffer when the action is performed on the first
    > frame. What can I do?
    >
    > I wonder what the flash does in this case.(Just waiting until the data
    > of the end frame is downloaded?)
    >
    > And does the flash read data stream randomly for interactivity?(like
    > me).
    >
    > Please give me some idea. Thank you.

    First, format your file either with fixed-size records or unique markers, or
    both, so that a reader seeking randomly in the file will be able to re-sync
    with the data.

    Second, when reading the file over the network, transfer byte ranges instead
    of using one endless read. That way, if you need to seek around in the
    file, you can start retrieving a new byte range as soon as the current one
    is done, instead of having to download and buffer the entire file before
    using it.

    Stephen Sprunk, May 9, 2004