Streaming audio using m3u playlist file

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Barry Koopersmith, Aug 21, 2005.

  1. I created a webpage with this line of code:

    The referenced "Scenic-3songs.m3u" file contains this one line:

    http://www.thefireandreason.com/TFaRLive1.mp3

    Here is the webpage:

    http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/audio/TFaR_audio_streaming.htm

    When I view the webpage in Mozilla Firefox, Netscape or Opera, when I
    click on the link, it pops up the WinAmp mp3 player and it immediately
    starts streaming and playing the referenced 11 mb size mp3 file. When I
    view and click on the link in Internet Explorer (version 6.0), it pops
    up the WinAmp mp3 player but it does not play the mp3 file. When I view
    the html file locally on my computer in Internet Explorer and click on
    the link, it pops up WinAmp and plays the mp3 immediately.

    What code can I use that will stream the mp3 file in Internet Explorer
    on the website (as well as the other web browsers)?

    Thanks to anyone who can help me out.
    Barry Koopersmith, Aug 21, 2005

  2. On Sunday 21 August 2005 04:46, Barry Koopersmith wrote:

    > I created a webpage with this line of code:

    > The referenced "Scenic-3songs.m3u" file contains this one line:
    >
    > http://www.thefireandreason.com/TFaRLive1.mp3
    >
    > Here is the webpage:
    >
    > http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/audio/TFaR_audio_streaming.htm
    >
    > When I view the webpage in Mozilla Firefox, Netscape or Opera, when I
    > click on the link, it pops up the WinAmp mp3 player and it immediately
    > starts streaming and playing the referenced 11 mb size mp3 file. When I
    > view and click on the link in Internet Explorer (version 6.0), it pops
    > up the WinAmp mp3 player but it does not play the mp3 file. When I view
    > the html file locally on my computer in Internet Explorer and click on
    > the link, it pops up WinAmp and plays the mp3 immediately.
    >
    > What code can I use that will stream the mp3 file in Internet Explorer
    > on the website (as well as the other web browsers)?
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

    I suspect that you need to configure Internet Explorer to pass control to
    Winamp differently. It's natural to imagine that winamp.exe is passed some
    extra arguments that tell it how to handle the input file (e.g. enqueue,
    play). To say it differently, I don't think you should be dealing with this
    at source code level unless there is some M$-specific hack, which would not
    be valid HTML. This still doesn't explain why you get a different behaviour
    when viewing the page locally. Does the MP3 file reside locally as well? I
    assume not.

    Try to change your filetypes in Windows and see if the default application
    for opening MP3 files gets assigned different behaviours depending on where
    it comes from.

    It is also worth mentioning that by embedding the URL's in an
    application-specific (Winamp) format, you might peril users who use other
    players. XMMS playlists, for example, are constructed differently.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz "Signature pending approval"
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 21, 2005

  3. Barry Koopersmith

    Spartanicus Guest

    Barry Koopersmith <> wrote:

    There are many media players capable of handling m3u/mp3 files, leave
    that choice to the user, don't assume that they use the same player that
    you use.

    >When I
    >view and click on the link in Internet Explorer (version 6.0), it pops
    >up the WinAmp mp3 player but it does not play the mp3 file.

    What happens if you feed Winamp the url to the m3u or the mp3 file
    direct?

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Aug 21, 2005
  4. Barry Koopersmith

    Greg N. Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > It is also worth mentioning that by embedding the URL's in an
    > application-specific (Winamp) format, you might peril users who use other
    > players. XMMS playlists, for example, are constructed differently.

    The format used is not app-specific. Presenting an MP3 file through an
    M3U playlist should be handled without problem by every MP3 player on
    the planet.

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
    Greg N., Aug 21, 2005
  5. Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > On Sunday 21 August 2005 04:46, Barry Koopersmith wrote:
    >
    >>I created a webpage with this line of code:

    >>The referenced "Scenic-3songs.m3u" file contains this one line:
    >>
    >>http://www.thefireandreason.com/TFaRLive1.mp3
    >>
    >>Here is the webpage:
    >>
    >>http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/audio/TFaR_audio_streaming.htm
    >>
    >>When I view the webpage in Mozilla Firefox, Netscape or Opera, when I
    >>click on the link, it pops up the WinAmp mp3 player and it immediately
    >>starts streaming and playing the referenced 11 mb size mp3 file. When I
    >>view and click on the link in Internet Explorer (version 6.0), it pops
    >>up the WinAmp mp3 player but it does not play the mp3 file. When I view
    >>the html file locally on my computer in Internet Explorer and click on
    >>the link, it pops up WinAmp and plays the mp3 immediately.
    >>
    >>What code can I use that will stream the mp3 file in Internet Explorer
    >>on the website (as well as the other web browsers)?
    >>
    >>Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

    > I suspect that you need to configure Internet Explorer to pass control to
    > Winamp differently. It's natural to imagine that winamp.exe is passed some
    > extra arguments that tell it how to handle the input file (e.g. enqueue,
    > play). To say it differently, I don't think you should be dealing with this
    > at source code level unless there is some M$-specific hack, which would not
    > be valid HTML. This still doesn't explain why you get a different behaviour
    > when viewing the page locally. Does the MP3 file reside locally as well? I
    > assume not.
    >
    > Try to change your filetypes in Windows and see if the default application
    > for opening MP3 files gets assigned different behaviours depending on where
    > it comes from.
    >
    > It is also worth mentioning that by embedding the URL's in an
    > application-specific (Winamp) format, you might peril users who use other
    > players. XMMS playlists, for example, are constructed differently.
    >
    > Roy

    Does the mp3 play in Internet Explorer if anybody else clicks that link?
    Please let me know.

    Is there a better method for streaming mp3 files on a webpage (so it
    starts playing immediately instead of waiting until the entire file
    downloads)?
    Barry Koopersmith, Aug 21, 2005
  6. Spartanicus wrote:

    > Barry Koopersmith <> wrote:

    > There are many media players capable of handling m3u/mp3 files, leave
    > that choice to the user, don't assume that they use the same player that
    > you use.
    >

    >>When I
    >>view and click on the link in Internet Explorer (version 6.0), it pops
    >>up the WinAmp mp3 player but it does not play the mp3 file.

    > What happens if you feed Winamp the url to the m3u or the mp3 file
    > direct?

    When WinAmp pops up after clicking the link on this webpage:

    http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/audio/TFaR_audio_streaming.htm

    if I then select "File-Play URL" and enter this URL:

    http://www.thefireandreason.com/TFaRLive1.mp3

    then it streams and immediately plays the mp3.

    Doing the same by clicking the link on the html page located on my local
    hard drive, it immediately plays the mp3 in WinAmp from that URL (it
    passes the URL to WinAmp, I don't have to enter it manually).

    Is this a problem using Internet Explorer only on my computer or do
    other computers have the same problem?

    Is there a better method (that will work in all web browsers and on all
    computers) for streaming mp3 files on a webpage (so it starts playing
    immediately instead of waiting until the entire file downloads)?
    Barry Koopersmith, Aug 21, 2005
  7. On Sunday 21 August 2005 16:40, Barry Koopersmith wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> On Sunday 21 August 2005 04:46, Barry Koopersmith wrote:
    >>
    >>>I created a webpage with this line of code:

    >>>The referenced "Scenic-3songs.m3u" file contains this one line:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.thefireandreason.com/TFaRLive1.mp3
    >>>
    >>>Here is the webpage:
    >>>
    >>>http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/audio/TFaR_audio_streaming.htm
    >>>
    >>>When I view the webpage in Mozilla Firefox, Netscape or Opera, when I
    >>>click on the link, it pops up the WinAmp mp3 player and it immediately
    >>>starts streaming and playing the referenced 11 mb size mp3 file. When I
    >>>view and click on the link in Internet Explorer (version 6.0), it pops
    >>>up the WinAmp mp3 player but it does not play the mp3 file. When I view
    >>>the html file locally on my computer in Internet Explorer and click on
    >>>the link, it pops up WinAmp and plays the mp3 immediately.
    >>>
    >>>What code can I use that will stream the mp3 file in Internet Explorer
    >>>on the website (as well as the other web browsers)?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

    >> I suspect that you need to configure Internet Explorer to pass control to
    >> Winamp differently. It's natural to imagine that winamp.exe is passed
    >> some extra arguments that tell it how to handle the input file (e.g.
    >> enqueue, play). To say it differently, I don't think you should be
    >> dealing with this at source code level unless there is some M$-specific
    >> hack, which would not be valid HTML. This still doesn't explain why you
    >> get a different behaviour when viewing the page locally. Does the MP3
    >> file reside locally as well? I assume not.
    >>
    >> Try to change your filetypes in Windows and see if the default
    >> application for opening MP3 files gets assigned different behaviours
    >> depending on where it comes from.
    >>
    >> It is also worth mentioning that by embedding the URL's in an
    >> application-specific (Winamp) format, you might peril users who use other
    >> players. XMMS playlists, for example, are constructed differently.
    >>
    >> Roy
    >>

    > Does the mp3 play in Internet Explorer if anybody else clicks that link?
    > Please let me know.

    I can't check at the moment as I have no access to a machine running
    Windows, however...

    > Is there a better method for streaming mp3 files on a webpage (so it
    > starts playing immediately instead of waiting until the entire file
    > downloads)?

    RealPlayer appear to play music immediately. Making an .rm or .ram version
    wouldn't hurt if you have the conversion software already. Bear in mind, as
    Spartanicus said:

    "There are many media players capable of handling m3u/mp3 files, leave
    that choice to the user, don't assume that they use the same player that
    you use."

    If I were to click a link to an MP3 file on your site, it would open up in
    RealPlayer, which means it would not interfere with my current playlists in
    XMMS. Never assume anything as regards the set preferences, application or
    platform. I suggest you leave that to the user and worry less whether an
    extra click is necessary or not. Add a gentle reminder to the visitor
    saying that he/she might need to start the audio explicitly. When I click a
    link to an MP3, I first get the choice as to whether I want it saved or
    opened. The one click 'magic' can never be guaranteed.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 21, 2005
  8. Barry Koopersmith

    Guest

    Barry Koopersmith wrote:
    > Spartanicus wrote:
    >
    > > Barry Koopersmith <> wrote:

    > > There are many media players capable of handling m3u/mp3 files, leave
    > > that choice to the user, don't assume that they use the same player that
    > > you use.
    > >

    > >>When I
    > >>view and click on the link in Internet Explorer (version 6.0), it pops
    > >>up the WinAmp mp3 player but it does not play the mp3 file.

    > > What happens if you feed Winamp the url to the m3u or the mp3 file
    > > direct?

    > When WinAmp pops up after clicking the link on this webpage:
    >
    > http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/audio/TFaR_audio_streaming.htm
    >
    > if I then select "File-Play URL" and enter this URL:
    >
    > http://www.thefireandreason.com/TFaRLive1.mp3
    >
    > then it streams and immediately plays the mp3.
    >
    > Doing the same by clicking the link on the html page located on my local
    > hard drive, it immediately plays the mp3 in WinAmp from that URL (it
    > passes the URL to WinAmp, I don't have to enter it manually).
    >
    > Is this a problem using Internet Explorer only on my computer or do
    > other computers have the same problem?
    >
    > Is there a better method (that will work in all web browsers and on all
    > computers) for streaming mp3 files on a webpage (so it starts playing
    > immediately instead of waiting until the entire file downloads)?

    I tried your page on my computer that has 10 browsers installed and
    uses the XP OS with all upgrades, including SP2. I have WMP 10, Real
    10.5, QT, and Winamp players installed. I am set up for Winamp to play
    MP3. Since all of the players will play MP3, you have to go into the
    menus of all players and select or deselect mp3. However if you feed
    the URL into , for example, the Real player directly, it is forced to
    play the m3u linked file rather than Winamp. Some players are rather
    aggressive for some formats and tend to steal formats from one another,
    if you do not configure what each player will play in the player
    menus.My results for your m3u link in your page are that the Winamp
    pops up, there is a brief buffer time, and then the music starts
    streaming just as is normal. It works on the IE6 family of browsers
    IE6, MSN9, MyIE2, and Avant. It also works on the most recent versions
    of Opera, Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape. With this information, I
    doubt if there is anything wrong with how you have the mp3 and m3u
    files set up on your server, although it is always a good idea to check
    if the correct mime types for each are installed on the server. If you
    have other players, such as I do, you might go into the menus for all
    of them, set to select mp3 and m3u(when offered) on the Winamp only,
    and see what happens. In any event both mp3 and m3u should be selected
    on the Winamp if you want it to be the main player for streamed mp3. I
    have not tried it, but if you have mp3 selected on only one player and
    m3u selected only on another player, there might be problems.

    Such problems are not too unusual. For example, both the Real player
    and Winamp will play mp4 audio. You can stream mp4 if you set the mime
    types for it and a redirector file on the server. I could never get
    this to stream on the Winamp. However if you use a .ram redirector file
    for mp4, it streams well for me on the Real 10.5 player. I have been
    able to stream Ogg Vorbis audio by setting the correct mime types on
    the server, and Winamp works well on this if you install an Ogg plugin
    on the Winamp.
    , Aug 21, 2005
  9. Barry Koopersmith

    Spartanicus Guest

    Barry Koopersmith <> wrote:

    >> What happens if you feed Winamp the url to the m3u or the mp3 file
    >> direct?

    >When WinAmp pops up after clicking the link on this webpage:
    >
    >http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/audio/TFaR_audio_streaming.htm
    >
    >if I then select "File-Play URL" and enter this URL:
    >
    >http://www.thefireandreason.com/TFaRLive1.mp3
    >
    >then it streams

    It doesn't stream, feed a player a link to an mp3 and it will download
    and play it.

    >and immediately plays the mp3.

    You have a fast connection, or it's cached locally.

    >Doing the same by clicking the link on the html page located on my local
    >hard drive, it immediately plays the mp3 in WinAmp from that URL (it
    >passes the URL to WinAmp, I don't have to enter it manually).

    You've not answered the question of what happens when you feed Winamp
    the url to the remote m3u file.

    >Is this a problem using Internet Explorer only on my computer or do
    >other computers have the same problem?

    You have no control over what happens on the client system, that's a
    good thing. There may be a problem with your local system.

    >Is there a better method (that will work in all web browsers and on all
    >computers) for streaming mp3 files on a webpage (so it starts playing
    >immediately instead of waiting until the entire file downloads)?

    Using m3u redirector files is the right approach.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Aug 21, 2005
  10. Barry Koopersmith

    Spartanicus Guest

    Roy Schestowitz <> wrote:

    >Bear in mind, as Spartanicus said:
    >
    >"There are many media players capable of handling m3u/mp3 files, leave
    >that choice to the user, don't assume that they use the same player that
    >you use."

    I think you may have misunderstood that, I was referring to the link
    text.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Aug 21, 2005
  11. Barry Koopersmith

    Greg N. Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > RealPlayer appear to play music immediately. Making an .rm or .ram version
    > wouldn't hurt

    Why?

    I can think of reasons not to do that. The Real Media format (rm, ra) is
    proprietary and quite obsolete. It can't do anything that MP3 can't do.
    There is no UA in the world that can't handle MP3. Nobody needs the RA
    format any more.

    I can understand that media playback software continues to support it,
    but why on earth should I provide new RA content?

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
    Greg N., Aug 21, 2005
  12. Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > On Sunday 21 August 2005 16:40, Barry Koopersmith wrote:
    >

    >>Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>>I suspect that you need to configure Internet Explorer to pass control to
    >>>Winamp differently. It's natural to imagine that winamp.exe is passed
    >>>some extra arguments that tell it how to handle the input file (e.g.
    >>>enqueue, play). To say it differently, I don't think you should be
    >>>dealing with this at source code level unless there is some M$-specific
    >>>hack, which would not be valid HTML. This still doesn't explain why you
    >>>get a different behaviour when viewing the page locally. Does the MP3
    >>>file reside locally as well? I assume not.
    >>>
    >>>Try to change your filetypes in Windows and see if the default
    >>>application for opening MP3 files gets assigned different behaviours
    >>>depending on where it comes from.
    >>>
    >>>It is also worth mentioning that by embedding the URL's in an
    >>>application-specific (Winamp) format, you might peril users who use other
    >>>players. XMMS playlists, for example, are constructed differently.
    >>>
    >>>Roy
    >>>

    >>Does the mp3 play in Internet Explorer if anybody else clicks that link?
    >>Please let me know.

    > I can't check at the moment as I have no access to a machine running
    > Windows, however...
    >

    >>Is there a better method for streaming mp3 files on a webpage (so it
    >>starts playing immediately instead of waiting until the entire file
    >>downloads)?

    > RealPlayer appear to play music immediately. Making an .rm or .ram version
    > wouldn't hurt if you have the conversion software already. Bear in mind, as
    > Spartanicus said:
    >
    > "There are many media players capable of handling m3u/mp3 files, leave
    > that choice to the user, don't assume that they use the same player that
    > you use."
    >
    > If I were to click a link to an MP3 file on your site, it would open up in
    > RealPlayer, which means it would not interfere with my current playlists in
    > XMMS. Never assume anything as regards the set preferences, application or
    > platform. I suggest you leave that to the user and worry less whether an
    > extra click is necessary or not. Add a gentle reminder to the visitor
    > saying that he/she might need to start the audio explicitly. When I click a
    > link to an MP3, I first get the choice as to whether I want it saved or
    > opened. The one click 'magic' can never be guaranteed.
    >
    > Roy

    The first time you click on a file link of a particular file type,
    Internet Explorer asks you if you want to open or save the file and you
    have the option of checking the box if you want the answer remembered.
    If someone selects "open", my goal is to have the large mp3 file
    streamed so it plays immediately. It doesn't matter to me which player
    the person uses to play it. When they click on the m3u, it is supposed
    to call up whatever music player is assiciated with the m3u file type.
    On my computer, it is WinAmp.

    The problem is on my computer, all the different web browsers open the
    default m3u music player but Internet Explorer (with a live webpage, not
    from my local hard drive) is the only web browser that does not play the
    mp3 (it open opens the music player but does not play the mp3). Even if
    you click the "Play" button, it does not play. You have to type in the
    complete URL of the mp3. Is this a problem only on my computer or a
    problem using this code with Internet Explorer?

    Is there a better method for streaming mp3 files on a webpage so if you
    select the open to open the file and your default music player opens, it
    starts playing immediately instead of waiting until the entire file
    downloads with Internet Explorer and the other web browsers?
    Barry Koopersmith, Aug 21, 2005
  13. Barry Koopersmith

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Greg N." <> wrote:

    >> RealPlayer appear to play music immediately. Making an .rm or .ram version
    >> wouldn't hurt

    >Why?
    >
    >I can think of reasons not to do that. The Real Media format (rm, ra) is
    >proprietary and quite obsolete. It can't do anything that MP3 can't do.
    >There is no UA in the world that can't handle MP3. Nobody needs the RA
    >format any more.
    >
    >I can understand that media playback software continues to support it,
    >but why on earth should I provide new RA content?

    Indeed, plus the proprietary nature of the rm format means that there
    are only a few players capable of playing the content. If it wasn't for
    reverse engineered illegal hacked software rm would only be playable in
    that hopelessly crap RealMedia player.

    MP3 on the other hand can be played by virtually all media players.

    Offering RealMedia content should be avoided if possible.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Aug 21, 2005
  14. Barry Koopersmith

    Guest

    Spartanicus wrote:
    > "Greg N." <> wrote:
    >
    > >> RealPlayer appear to play music immediately. Making an .rm or .ram version
    > >> wouldn't hurt

    > >Why?
    > >
    > >I can think of reasons not to do that. The Real Media format (rm, ra) is
    > >proprietary and quite obsolete. It can't do anything that MP3 can't do.
    > >There is no UA in the world that can't handle MP3. Nobody needs the RA
    > >format any more.
    > >
    > >I can understand that media playback software continues to support it,
    > >but why on earth should I provide new RA content?

    > Indeed, plus the proprietary nature of the rm format means that there
    > are only a few players capable of playing the content. If it wasn't for
    > reverse engineered illegal hacked software rm would only be playable in
    > that hopelessly crap RealMedia player.
    >
    > MP3 on the other hand can be played by virtually all media players.
    >
    > Offering RealMedia content should be avoided if possible.
    >
    > --
    > Spartanicus

    For the reasons you mention, I agree offering a .rm only is a poor
    choice. However the Real Player, in my opinion, is the best player out
    there if you only have one player. It not only plays Real media but
    also .wma and .wmv Windows media as well, to say nothing of mp3, mp4,
    and many other media. On the other hand the WMP will not play Real
    media. The Real player also supports SMIL2 which is an outstanding XML
    language for media presentations.

    Just to make certain the reported mp3 problem is not at the server,
    play my song at http://www.cwdjr.net/mpg/Caruso1903.m3u . This has the
    proper mime types set on the server for .mp3 and .m3u and is recorded
    at a very low bit rate that even dialup can handle easily. If Barry's
    Winamp does not pop up and start streaming this song at once, I think
    we can be 99.999% certain his problem is with his computer
    configuration and not with his server.

    I would suggest a .wma along with the .wax redirector file if another
    streaming format is desired. A .wma will play on the WMP, RA, QT, and
    Winamp players, so most people who have a player at all would be able
    to hear it streaming. It may be necessary to include a .ram redirector
    file to get the .wma to stream on the Real player as Real often does
    not like .wax, but I have not checked this out. In that case you would
    just have click on 2 links, one for most players and one for the RA
    player. Besides several pay programs that are available, Microsoft
    offers the Windows Media Encoder for free. It will record both audio
    and video, and is not very difficult to use. Of course there is nothing
    to prevent you from offering a mp3 for download and a wma for
    streaming.
    , Aug 21, 2005
  15. Barry Koopersmith

    Greg N. Guest

    wrote:

    > For the reasons you mention, I agree offering a .rm only is a poor choice.

    I still can't see why I should offer .rm at all.

    > However the Real Player, in my opinion, is the best player out there if you only have one player. It not only plays Real media but also .wma and .wmv Windows media as well, to say nothing of mp3, mp4, and many other media.

    OK, it's the best there is, it handles everything, including MP3. So
    why should I offer .ra?

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
    Greg N., Aug 21, 2005
  16. Barry Koopersmith

    Guest

    Greg N. wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > For the reasons you mention, I agree offering a .rm only is a poor choice.

    > I still can't see why I should offer .rm at all.
    >
    > > However the Real Player, in my opinion, is the best player out there if you only have one player. It not only plays Real media but also .wma and .wmv Windows media as well, to say nothing of mp3, mp4, and many other media.

    > OK, it's the best there is, it handles everything, including MP3. So
    > why should I offer .ra?

    As I pointed out, you can get by without .rm even if you have only a
    Real player, since it will play Windows media, and many other files
    including mp3. However some may want to offer a .rm version of the song
    in addition to a .mpg and/or .wma file. The main reason some might want
    to do this is because they like Real better, do not like Microsoft, do
    not like mp3, etc. - all matters of personal taste. I find it no
    problem to offer up to 3 formats of a song. Most people will play only
    one version of your song, so having 3 formats from which to select
    should not increase your bandwidth usage much. Real has a free encoder
    also, so it is not much of a problem to include a .rm version of a song
    or video if you wish.
    , Aug 21, 2005
  17. wrote:

    > Spartanicus wrote:

    >>>Why?
    >>>
    >>>I can think of reasons not to do that. The Real Media format (rm, ra) is
    >>>proprietary and quite obsolete. It can't do anything that MP3 can't do.
    >>>There is no UA in the world that can't handle MP3. Nobody needs the RA
    >>>format any more.
    >>>
    >>>I can understand that media playback software continues to support it,
    >>>but why on earth should I provide new RA content?

    >>Indeed, plus the proprietary nature of the rm format means that there
    >>are only a few players capable of playing the content. If it wasn't for
    >>reverse engineered illegal hacked software rm would only be playable in
    >>that hopelessly crap RealMedia player.
    >>
    >>MP3 on the other hand can be played by virtually all media players.
    >>
    >>Offering RealMedia content should be avoided if possible.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Spartanicus

    > For the reasons you mention, I agree offering a .rm only is a poor
    > choice. However the Real Player, in my opinion, is the best player out
    > there if you only have one player. It not only plays Real media but
    > also .wma and .wmv Windows media as well, to say nothing of mp3, mp4,
    > and many other media. On the other hand the WMP will not play Real
    > media. The Real player also supports SMIL2 which is an outstanding XML
    > language for media presentations.
    >
    > Just to make certain the reported mp3 problem is not at the server,
    > play my song at http://www.cwdjr.net/mpg/Caruso1903.m3u . This has the
    > proper mime types set on the server for .mp3 and .m3u and is recorded
    > at a very low bit rate that even dialup can handle easily. If Barry's
    > Winamp does not pop up and start streaming this song at once, I think
    > we can be 99.999% certain his problem is with his computer
    > configuration and not with his server.
    >
    > I would suggest a .wma along with the .wax redirector file if another
    > streaming format is desired. A .wma will play on the WMP, RA, QT, and
    > Winamp players, so most people who have a player at all would be able
    > to hear it streaming. It may be necessary to include a .ram redirector
    > file to get the .wma to stream on the Real player as Real often does
    > not like .wax, but I have not checked this out. In that case you would
    > just have click on 2 links, one for most players and one for the RA
    > player. Besides several pay programs that are available, Microsoft
    > offers the Windows Media Encoder for free. It will record both audio
    > and video, and is not very difficult to use. Of course there is nothing
    > to prevent you from offering a mp3 for download and a wma for
    > streaming.

    When I paste http://www.cwdjr.net/mpg/Caruso1903.m3u directly into the
    IE Address box, it opens WinAmp and plays the mp3. When I paste
    http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/audio/Scenic-3songs.m3u into the IE
    Address box, it does not pop up WinAmp and I get an error message
    stating "The requested site is either unavaiable or cannot be found". If
    I paste it into any of the other web browsers, it pops up WinAmp and
    plays the mp3.

    Maybe my m3u file is the problem. It contains this one line:

    http://www.thefireandreason.com/TFaRLive1.mp3

    Please tell me the contents of your Caruso1903.m3u file.

    Can you please give me a sample file of your suggestion to use a ".wma
    along with the .wax redirector file if another streaming format is
    desired" and "a .ram redirector file to get the .wma to stream on the
    Real player" so I can see how to do this?
    Barry Koopersmith, Aug 21, 2005
  18. Spartanicus wrote:

    > Barry Koopersmith <> wrote:
    >

    >>>What happens if you feed Winamp the url to the m3u or the mp3 file
    >>>direct?

    >>When WinAmp pops up after clicking the link on this webpage:
    >>
    >>http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/audio/TFaR_audio_streaming.htm
    >>
    >>if I then select "File-Play URL" and enter this URL:
    >>
    >>http://www.thefireandreason.com/TFaRLive1.mp3
    >>
    >>then it streams

    > It doesn't stream, feed a player a link to an mp3 and it will download
    > and play it.
    >

    >>and immediately plays the mp3.

    > You have a fast connection, or it's cached locally.
    >

    >>Doing the same by clicking the link on the html page located on my local
    >>hard drive, it immediately plays the mp3 in WinAmp from that URL (it
    >>passes the URL to WinAmp, I don't have to enter it manually).

    > You've not answered the question of what happens when you feed Winamp
    > the url to the remote m3u file.
    >

    >>Is this a problem using Internet Explorer only on my computer or do
    >>other computers have the same problem?

    > You have no control over what happens on the client system, that's a
    > good thing. There may be a problem with your local system.
    >

    >>Is there a better method (that will work in all web browsers and on all
    >>computers) for streaming mp3 files on a webpage (so it starts playing
    >>immediately instead of waiting until the entire file downloads)?

    > Using m3u redirector files is the right approach.

    I did answer the question of "what happens when you feed Winamp the url
    to the remote m3u file". I said that if I enter the URL, it immediately
    plays the mp3.

    This is an 11 mb mp3 file. If I create a link to the mp3, the resulting
    dialog box shows it downloading and completing the download before the
    player pops up and plays it. A link to the mp3 can be found here:

    http://www.thefireandreason.com/live.html

    When I make the link using referring m3u file (which redirects to the
    mp3), in the other non-IE web browsers, it immediately plays (no delays
    while it downloads).

    I agree that the using m3u redirector files is the right approach but
    what do I need to do to get it to work in IE?
    Barry Koopersmith, Aug 21, 2005
  19. Barry Koopersmith

    Greg N. Guest

    Greg N., Aug 21, 2005