Streaming large files over network

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by A.M-SG, Oct 28, 2005.

  1. A.M-SG

    A.M-SG Guest

    Hi,

    I have a ASP.NET aspx file that needs to pass large images from a network
    storage to client browser. The requirement is that users cannot have access
    to the network share. The aspx file must be the only method that users
    receive image files.

    Essentially, the aspx file is an intermediate between client browser and a
    network share.

    I don't want to load all file in my web server memory as a byte[] array and
    then stream it to the browser.

    Is there any way (or streaming techniques) that I can stream large file
    directly from storage to the browser?

    Any help would be appreciated,

    Alan

    A.M-SG, Oct 28, 2005

  2. Hello Alan,

    Tracking and Resuming Large File Downloads in ASP.NET -
    http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/22533. Gives a pretty thorough treatment
    to the subject.

    --
    brians
    http://www.limbertech.com

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJpYW5zW01DU0Rd?=, Oct 28, 2005

  3. Thanks for Brians's input,

    Hi Alan,

    For your scenario, I also think using the Stream class to open the
    filestream and then use read method to flush a small bytes buffer to client
    constantly is a reasonable means. You can refer to the articles Brians has
    mentioned.

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 31, 2005
  4. Hi Alan,

    How are you doing on this issue, does the information posted in the former
    message helps a little? If there're anything else we can help, please do
    feel free to post here.

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    --------------------
    | From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    | Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:27:56 GMT
    | Subject: RE: Streaming large files over network
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | Thanks for Brians's input,
    |
    | Hi Alan,
    |
    | For your scenario, I also think using the Stream class to open the
    | filestream and then use read method to flush a small bytes buffer to
    client
    | constantly is a reasonable means. You can refer to the articles Brians
    has
    | mentioned.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Steven Cheng
    | Microsoft Online Support

    | rights.)
    |

    | --------------------
    | | From: =?Utf-8?B?YnJpYW5zW01DU0Rd?=
    <>
    | | Subject: RE: Streaming large files over network
    | | Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:17:50 -0700
    | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | |
    | | Hello Alan,
    | |
    | | Tracking and Resuming Large File Downloads in ASP.NET -
    | | http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/22533. Gives a pretty thorough
    | treatment
    | | to the subject.
    | |
    | |
    | | --
    | | brians
    | | http://www.limbertech.com
    | |
    | |
    | | "A.M-SG" wrote:
    | |
    | | > Hi,
    | | >

    | | > I have a ASP.NET aspx file that needs to pass large images from a
    | network
    | | > storage to client browser. The requirement is that users cannot have
    | access
    | | > to the network share. The aspx file must be the only method that
    users
    | | > receive image files.
    | | >

    | | > Essentially, the aspx file is an intermediate between client browser
    | and a
    | | > network share.
    | | >

    | | > I don't want to load all file in my web server memory as a byte[]
    array
    | and
    | | > then stream it to the browser.
    | | >

    | | > Is there any way (or streaming techniques) that I can stream large
    file
    | | > directly from storage to the browser?
    | | >

    | | > Any help would be appreciated,
    | | >
    | | > Alan