    too. I'm not having trouble with downloads, just streaming.

    Sincerely,
    Jason Gastrich
    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A., Oct 30, 2003

  2. Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus, Oct 30, 2003

  3. Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

    PeterMcC Guest

    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to stream MP3 audio from my php based site. My old server
    > allowed me to use Andromeda and it worked great. My new site doesn't
    > work and I can't figure out why. You can see what I mean here:
    > http://ada.jcsm.org, http://60songs.jcsm.org, and http://mp3.jcsm.org.
    >
    > If someone can give me a code that I can stick in the hyperlink and a
    > file or php code for the server, I'd really appreciate it. Any
    > advice is great, too. I'm not having trouble with downloads, just
    > streaming.

    Put a plain text file with the extension m3u as the linked file -
    href="filename.m3u" - and put the name of the mp3 file in the m3u file.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Excellent. That site shows exactly what to do.

    I had some friends test the streaming function on my site. They said it
    works! I have personally tried it with two computers and it didn't work.
    Both were broadband connections, too. So, I can't figure out why it
    wouldn't work.

    I used this script (from your link) and it got to the same point the current
    script gets to. It opens Winamp and doesn't play. So, I assume it could be
    working for others. Link: <a href="http://jcsm.net/ADA/Devos322.m3u"
    type="audio/x-mpegurl" >Play music</a>

    Any idea why this isn't working for me? I tried to figure it out for about
    an hour or so, today. No luck, though.

    Thanks,
    Jason

    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A., Oct 30, 2003
  5. Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

    Spartanicus Guest

    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A. wrote:

    >I used this script (from your link) and it got to the same point the current
    >script gets to.

    Redirector file, not a script.

    >It opens Winamp and doesn't play. So, I assume it could be
    >working for others. Link: <a href="http://jcsm.net/ADA/Devos322.m3u"
    >type="audio/x-mpegurl" >Play music</a>
    >
    >Any idea why this isn't working for me? I tried to figure it out for about
    >an hour or so, today. No luck, though.

    Make sure that there is a CR/LF after the url in the m3u file, I've had
    some reports that without that some systems refuse to start the audio.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Spartanicus wrote:
    > Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A. wrote:
    >
    >> I used this script (from your link) and it got to the same point the
    >> current script gets to.

    > Redirector file, not a script.
    >
    >> It opens Winamp and doesn't play. So, I assume it could be
    >> working for others. Link: <a href="http://jcsm.net/ADA/Devos322.m3u"
    >> type="audio/x-mpegurl" >Play music</a>
    >>
    >> Any idea why this isn't working for me? I tried to figure it out
    >> for about an hour or so, today. No luck, though.

    > Make sure that there is a CR/LF after the url in the m3u file, I've
    > had some reports that without that some systems refuse to start the
    > audio.

    What is a CR/LF?

    JG
    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A., Oct 30, 2003
  7. Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

    Spartanicus Guest

    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A. wrote:

    >> Make sure that there is a CR/LF after the url in the m3u file, I've
    >> had some reports that without that some systems refuse to start the
    >> audio.

    >What is a CR/LF?

    Carriage Return/Line Feed (press enter after the url in the m3u file so
    that you have a blank line beneath the url).

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Oct 30, 2003
  8. Spartanicus wrote:
    > Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A. wrote:
    >
    >>> Make sure that there is a CR/LF after the url in the m3u file, I've
    >>> had some reports that without that some systems refuse to start the
    >>> audio.

    >> What is a CR/LF?

    > Carriage Return/Line Feed (press enter after the url in the m3u file
    > so that you have a blank line beneath the url).

    I get the same thing with a blank line beneath the url.

    JG
    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A., Oct 30, 2003
  9. Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

    Spartanicus Guest

    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A. wrote:

    >I get the same thing with a blank line beneath the url.

    What happens when you feed Winamp the url to the m3u file directly? Any
    software like a firewall blocking Winamp's attempt to connect to remote
    resources?

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Oct 31, 2003
  10. Spartanicus wrote:
    > Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A. wrote:
    >
    >> I get the same thing with a blank line beneath the url.

    > What happens when you feed Winamp the url to the m3u file directly?

    This worked! Good idea. What do you think this means?

    > Any software like a firewall blocking Winamp's attempt to connect to
    > remote resources?

    I mulled around my Norton Internet Security, yesterday. I thought it may be
    blocking the script or something. I was unable to find any blocking or
    remedy.

    Any ideas?

    Sincerely,
    Jason
    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A., Oct 31, 2003
  11. Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

    Spartanicus Guest

    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A. wrote:

    >> What happens when you feed Winamp the url to the m3u file directly?

    >This worked! Good idea. What do you think this means?

    More info is needed:

    1) What browser are you using?
    2) Any error message from Winamp?
    3) When launched via your browser, does the url to the m3u file show up
    in Winamp's display?
    4) What version of Winamp? (if 3 try 2.x)
    5) What happens when you double click on a m3u file on your local drive?
    6) Are you testing this by loading the page from the web, from a local
    test server or from your local drive?

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Oct 31, 2003
  12. Spartanicus wrote:
    > Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A. wrote:
    >
    >>> What happens when you feed Winamp the url to the m3u file directly?

    >> This worked! Good idea. What do you think this means?

    > More info is needed:
    >
    > 1) What browser are you using?

    IE6

    > 2) Any error message from Winamp?

    No. It opens and just doesn't play. Clicking play doesn't help.

    > 3) When launched via your browser, does the url to the m3u file show
    > up in Winamp's display?

    When launched via my browser, I get this error:

    IE cannot download Devos322.m3u from jcsm.net. IE was not able to open this
    internet site.

    > 4) What version of Winamp? (if 3 try 2.x)

    It doesn't work with 3.0 or 2.81 (unless I manually put the url in 3.0).

    > 5) What happens when you double click on a m3u file on your local
    > drive?

    When I do this, it opens Winamp and stalls.

    6) Are you testing this by loading the page from the web, from
    > a local test server or from your local drive?

    I've tried it from the web and my hard drive.

    Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this.

    Regards,
    Jason
    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A., Oct 31, 2003
  13. Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

    Spartanicus Guest

    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A. wrote:

    >> 3) When launched via your browser, does the url to the m3u file show
    >> up in Winamp's display?

    >When launched via my browser, I get this error:
    >
    >IE cannot download Devos322.m3u from jcsm.net. IE was not able to open this
    >internet site.

    That should prevent Winamp from starting, yet you say it does. Normally
    IE finds the m3u file and only then does it look in the registry for the
    default handler for that file/mime type.

    >> 4) What version of Winamp? (if 3 try 2.x)

    >It doesn't work with 3.0 or 2.81 (unless I manually put the url in 3.0).

    If you have both, which version is the registered handler for the m3u
    file type?

    >> 5) What happens when you double click on a m3u file on your local
    >> drive?

    >When I do this, it opens Winamp and stalls.

    Is there a path open to the resource? (is there an internet connection
    open)

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Nov 1, 2003
  14. Spartanicus wrote:
    > Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A. wrote:
    >
    >>> 3) When launched via your browser, does the url to the m3u file show
    >>> up in Winamp's display?

    >> When launched via my browser, I get this error:
    >>
    >> IE cannot download Devos322.m3u from jcsm.net. IE was not able to
    >> open this internet site.

    > That should prevent Winamp from starting, yet you say it does.
    > Normally IE finds the m3u file and only then does it look in the
    > registry for the default handler for that file/mime type.
    >
    >>> 4) What version of Winamp? (if 3 try 2.x)

    >> It doesn't work with 3.0 or 2.81 (unless I manually put the url in
    >> 3.0).

    > If you have both, which version is the registered handler for the m3u
    > file type?

    3.0 generally opens, but I've tried it with both.

    >>> 5) What happens when you double click on a m3u file on your local
    >>> drive?

    >> When I do this, it opens Winamp and stalls.

    > Is there a path open to the resource? (is there an internet connection
    > open)

    I have an always-on, broadband connection.

    JG
    Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A., Nov 2, 2003