Streaming MP3 Audio

Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

Hi,

I'd like to stream MP3 audio from my php based site. My old server allowed
me to use Andromeda and it worked great. My new site doesn't work and I
can't figure out why. You can see what I mean here: http://ada.jcsm.org,
http://60songs.jcsm.org, and http://mp3.jcsm.org.

If someone can give me a code that I can stick in the hyperlink and a file
or php code for the server, I'd really appreciate it. Any advice is great,
too. I'm not having trouble with downloads, just streaming.

Sincerely,
Jason Gastrich

PeterMcC

Jason said:
Hi,

I'd like to stream MP3 audio from my php based site. My old server
allowed me to use Andromeda and it worked great. My new site doesn't
work and I can't figure out why. You can see what I mean here:
http://ada.jcsm.org, http://60songs.jcsm.org, and http://mp3.jcsm.org.

If someone can give me a code that I can stick in the hyperlink and a
file or php code for the server, I'd really appreciate it. Any
advice is great, too. I'm not having trouble with downloads, just
streaming.

Put a plain text file with the extension m3u as the linked file -
href="filename.m3u" - and put the name of the mp3 file in the m3u file.

Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

Excellent. That site shows exactly what to do.

I had some friends test the streaming function on my site. They said it
works! I have personally tried it with two computers and it didn't work.
Both were broadband connections, too. So, I can't figure out why it
wouldn't work.

I used this script (from your link) and it got to the same point the current
script gets to. It opens Winamp and doesn't play. So, I assume it could be
working for others. Link: <a href="http://jcsm.net/ADA/Devos322.m3u"
type="audio/x-mpegurl" >Play music</a>

Any idea why this isn't working for me? I tried to figure it out for about
an hour or so, today. No luck, though.

Thanks,
Jason

Spartanicus

Jason said:
I used this script (from your link) and it got to the same point the current
script gets to.

Redirector file, not a script.
It opens Winamp and doesn't play. So, I assume it could be
working for others. Link: <a href="http://jcsm.net/ADA/Devos322.m3u"
type="audio/x-mpegurl" >Play music</a>

Any idea why this isn't working for me? I tried to figure it out for about
an hour or so, today. No luck, though.

Make sure that there is a CR/LF after the url in the m3u file, I've had
some reports that without that some systems refuse to start the audio.

Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

Spartanicus said:
Carriage Return/Line Feed (press enter after the url in the m3u file
so that you have a blank line beneath the url).

I get the same thing with a blank line beneath the url.

JG

Spartanicus

Jason said:
I get the same thing with a blank line beneath the url.

What happens when you feed Winamp the url to the m3u file directly? Any
software like a firewall blocking Winamp's attempt to connect to remote
resources?

Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

Spartanicus said:
What happens when you feed Winamp the url to the m3u file directly?

This worked! Good idea. What do you think this means?
Any software like a firewall blocking Winamp's attempt to connect to
remote resources?

I mulled around my Norton Internet Security, yesterday. I thought it may be
blocking the script or something. I was unable to find any blocking or
remedy.

Any ideas?

Sincerely,
Jason

Spartanicus

Jason said:
This worked! Good idea. What do you think this means?

More info is needed:

1) What browser are you using?
2) Any error message from Winamp?
3) When launched via your browser, does the url to the m3u file show up
in Winamp's display?
4) What version of Winamp? (if 3 try 2.x)
5) What happens when you double click on a m3u file on your local drive?
6) Are you testing this by loading the page from the web, from a local
test server or from your local drive?

Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

Spartanicus said:
More info is needed:

1) What browser are you using?
IE6

2) Any error message from Winamp?

No. It opens and just doesn't play. Clicking play doesn't help.
3) When launched via your browser, does the url to the m3u file show
up in Winamp's display?

When launched via my browser, I get this error:

IE cannot download Devos322.m3u from jcsm.net. IE was not able to open this
internet site.
4) What version of Winamp? (if 3 try 2.x)

It doesn't work with 3.0 or 2.81 (unless I manually put the url in 3.0).
5) What happens when you double click on a m3u file on your local
drive?

When I do this, it opens Winamp and stalls.

6) Are you testing this by loading the page from the web, from
a local test server or from your local drive?

I've tried it from the web and my hard drive.

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this.

Regards,
Jason

Spartanicus

Jason said:
When launched via my browser, I get this error:

IE cannot download Devos322.m3u from jcsm.net. IE was not able to open this
internet site.

That should prevent Winamp from starting, yet you say it does. Normally
IE finds the m3u file and only then does it look in the registry for the
default handler for that file/mime type.
It doesn't work with 3.0 or 2.81 (unless I manually put the url in 3.0).

If you have both, which version is the registered handler for the m3u
file type?
When I do this, it opens Winamp and stalls.

Is there a path open to the resource? (is there an internet connection
open)

Jason Gastrich, B.A., M.A.

Spartanicus said:
That should prevent Winamp from starting, yet you say it does.
Normally IE finds the m3u file and only then does it look in the
registry for the default handler for that file/mime type.

If you have both, which version is the registered handler for the m3u
file type?

3.0 generally opens, but I've tried it with both.
Is there a path open to the resource? (is there an internet connection
open)

I have an always-on, broadband connection.

JG