Streaming mpegs

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul F. Johnson, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    Using the same recipe as streaming a flash file, I'm trying to do the same
    with an mpeg file and not suprising, I'm not getting anything out...

    The HTML looks like this

    <h1>Stream testing</h1>
    <object type="video/mpeg" data="streamed/introduction.mpg" width="400"
    height="400">
    <param name="movie" value="streamed/introduction.mpg" />
    </object>

    with the bit of the stylesheet which defines movie

    #movie
    {
    padding-top: 9px;
    padding-left: 40px;
    height: 400px;
    width: 400px;
    }

    The actual page is

    http://www.reelnorth.co.uk/streamer.html

    Any ideas why this is or is it that mpeg video is not the best in the
    world for streaming?

    TTFN

    Paul
    Paul F. Johnson, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Paul F. Johnson

    Spartanicus Guest

    Paul F. Johnson wrote:

    >http://www.reelnorth.co.uk/streamer.html

    >Sorry, you don't appear to have frame support.

    Why on earth are you using frames on that page?

    Cold isn't it?

    >Any ideas why this is or is it that mpeg video is not the best in the
    >world for streaming?

    Have a look at this:

    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm
    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Paul F. Johnson

    Steve R. Guest

    Steve R., Dec 2, 2003
  4. Paul F. Johnson

    Richard Guest

    Paul! wrote:

    > Hi,

    > Using the same recipe as streaming a flash file, I'm trying to do the
    > same with an mpeg file and not suprising, I'm not getting anything out...

    > The HTML looks like this

    > <h1>Stream testing</h1>

    > <object type="video/mpeg" data="streamed/introduction.mpg" width="400"
    > height="400">
    > <param name="movie" value="streamed/introduction.mpg" />
    > </object>

    > with the bit of the stylesheet which defines movie

    > #movie
    > {
    > padding-top: 9px;
    > padding-left: 40px;
    > height: 400px;
    > width: 400px;
    > }

    > The actual page is

    > http://www.reelnorth.co.uk/streamer.html

    > Any ideas why this is or is it that mpeg video is not the best in the
    > world for streaming?

    The way you have it, the visitor has to wait while the movie is loaded and
    if they're on dialup, that could take forever.
    Do not load the movie with the page. Rather, load everything else then allow
    the visitor to choose to view the movie or not.
    I got tired of waiting for the page to load and I'm on cable.

    I would suggest using true streaming video such as "RM" or "ASF".
    Richard, Dec 3, 2003