    Can anyone tell me why the one that doesn't stream doesn't?
    Puzzled.
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Dec 4, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    Re: Streaming paradox with URL this time.

    http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rospat/why.html

    KiwiBrian, Dec 4, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    > > On the following page I have two links to pages with identical content.

    > http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rospat/why.html
    >
    > > The source content of each is identical and the daughter
    > > (called/referenced files) of each are located in both directories.
    > > Yet one streams and the other doesn't.
    > > Can anyone tell me why the one that doesn't stream doesn't?

    I would first look at the script that creates the player on each page.
    I did not see any difference in the script on casual observation, but
    the least little error in a script, including hidden things and extra
    white space, can cause a script to fail completely. Completely delete
    the script on the page that is not working and replace it with the
    script on the page that is working and see what happens.

    I should point out that you are using an ActiveX object only to play
    the audio. Thus most browsers, other than the IE family, will not play
    your audio at all unless they have had a plugin added to play the WMP
    using AX. There are codes to take another path if the browser does not
    support AX. Also any browser that has script turned off will not hear
    your audio. Since you give links to the audio anyway, the most simple
    thing to do is to use a .wax redirector file as the link. This will
    bring up the audio on the WMP, but of course there will not be a
    picture on the page. At least you could include the .wax redirector
    link as an alternative for those to click who do not hear the audio
    using the AX code you now have.

    , Dec 4, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    <> wrote in message

    > KiwiBrian wrote:
    >> "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    >> > On the following page I have two links to pages with identical content.

    >> http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rospat/why.html
    >>
    >> > The source content of each is identical and the daughter
    >> > (called/referenced files) of each are located in both directories.
    >> > Yet one streams and the other doesn't.
    >> > Can anyone tell me why the one that doesn't stream doesn't?

    > I would first look at the script that creates the player on each page.
    > I did not see any difference in the script on casual observation, but
    > the least little error in a script, including hidden things and extra
    > white space, can cause a script to fail completely. Completely delete
    > the script on the page that is not working and replace it with the
    > script on the page that is working and see what happens.
    >
    > I should point out that you are using an ActiveX object only to play
    > the audio. Thus most browsers, other than the IE family, will not play
    > your audio at all unless they have had a plugin added to play the WMP
    > using AX. There are codes to take another path if the browser does not
    > support AX. Also any browser that has script turned off will not hear
    > your audio. Since you give links to the audio anyway, the most simple
    > thing to do is to use a .wax redirector file as the link. This will
    > bring up the audio on the WMP, but of course there will not be a
    > picture on the page. At least you could include the .wax redirector
    > link as an alternative for those to click who do not hear the audio
    > using the AX code you now have.

    Thankyou very much for your enlightening reply.
    My objective was to subject the user to as little change in the viewing
    environment as possible, rather than cause Windows Media Player to be
    launched to play the audio.
    What happens if WMP is not installed on the client's PC?
    I think it was you who previously gave me a helpful reply regarding using a
    ..wax redirector file. I was successful with this but did not like the fact
    that the WMP was launched to play the audio.
    As it is audio only, is there a way of reliably streaming audio without
    invoking WMP?
    I seem to have gone some way to accomplishing it at present, but only by
    using a daughter page.
    My thinking was to ascertain the reason for the present paradox and then
    enquire as to how the process could be invoked directly from the parent page
    without the use of a daughter page.
    But if I am aiming for the unnattainable, or even the inadvisable, I need to
    find out now, altho the client seems very happy with the present results on
    all PCs that he has tested on.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Dec 4, 2005
  5. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > KiwiBrian wrote:
    > >> "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rospat/why.html

    > > I would first look at the script that creates the player on each page.
    > > I did not see any difference in the script on casual observation, but
    > > the least little error in a script, including hidden things and extra
    > > white space, can cause a script to fail completely. Completely delete
    > > the script on the page that is not working and replace it with the
    > > script on the page that is working and see what happens.
    > >
    > > I should point out that you are using an ActiveX object only to play
    > > the audio. Thus most browsers, other than the IE family, will not play
    > > your audio at all unless they have had a plugin added to play the WMP
    > > using AX. There are codes to take another path if the browser does not
    > > support AX. Also any browser that has script turned off will not hear
    > > your audio. Since you give links to the audio anyway, the most simple
    > > thing to do is to use a .wax redirector file as the link. This will
    > > bring up the audio on the WMP, but of course there will not be a
    > > picture on the page. At least you could include the .wax redirector
    > > link as an alternative for those to click who do not hear the audio
    > > using the AX code you now have.
    > >

    > Thankyou very much for your enlightening reply.
    > My objective was to subject the user to as little change in the viewing
    > environment as possible, rather than cause Windows Media Player to be
    > launched to play the audio.
    > What happens if WMP is not installed on the client's PC?
    > I think it was you who previously gave me a helpful reply regarding using a
    > .wax redirector file. I was successful with this but did not like the fact
    > that the WMP was launched to play the audio.
    > As it is audio only, is there a way of reliably streaming audio without
    > invoking WMP?
    > I seem to have gone some way to accomplishing it at present, but only by
    > using a daughter page.
    > My thinking was to ascertain the reason for the present paradox and then
    > enquire as to how the process could be invoked directly from the parent page
    > without the use of a daughter page.
    > But if I am aiming for the unnattainable, or even the inadvisable, I need to
    > find out now, altho the client seems very happy with the present results on
    > all PCs that he has tested on.

    You do not need script or ActiveX, if I understand you correctly. By
    adjusting the parameters for the WMP ordinary object, you can create a
    button on the main page to play the audio. See
    http://www.cwdjr.info/media/streamtest.html . See the source code of
    this page, and read the instructions for the wax redirector file shown
    at the bottom of the page. The code is valid at the W3C validator up to
    xhtml 1.1. Mine is written at the 1.1 level, to check validation, but I
    served it as html to avoid the complication of the php include, as you
    do not seem to be using xhtml. This code works on the latest versions
    of IE6, Netscape, Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera. It even works on the old
    Netscape 4.8, although the button appears a little funky on this old
    relic. You can adjust the style in the division to change the style of
    the text you use along with the button for audio.

    , Dec 4, 2005
  6. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    Re: Streaming paradox with URL this time.

    Thanks heaps!! Looks like exactly what I was after.
    Thou art a scholar and a gentleman.
    Brian.

    KiwiBrian, Dec 4, 2005
  7. KiwiBrian

    wrote:

    > You do not need script or ActiveX, if I understand you correctly. By
    > adjusting the parameters for the WMP ordinary object, you can create a
    > button on the main page to play the audio. See
    > http://www.cwdjr.info/media/streamtest.html . See the source code of
    > this page, and read the instructions for the wax redirector file shown
    > at the bottom of the page. The code is valid at the W3C validator up to
    > xhtml 1.1. Mine is written at the 1.1 level, to check validation, but I
    > served it as html to avoid the complication of the php include, as you
    > do not seem to be using xhtml. This code works on the latest versions
    > of IE6, Netscape, Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera. It even works on the old
    > Netscape 4.8, although the button appears a little funky on this old
    > relic. You can adjust the style in the division to change the style of
    > the text you use along with the button for audio.

    You can also extend to the Real player and a m3u playlist to give the
    maximum chance of playing your sound. See
    http://www.cwdjr.info/media/streamtest2.html . Since some players may
    be installed on some browsers and not others and since different
    players may be made the primary player for different file types, there
    is a huge number of combinations of how a computer can be set up for
    playing sound. On my setup, the IE6 plays the sound on both the WMP and
    Real players. It plays the m3u playlist using the Winamp player. On my
    several other browsers, both the WMP and Real players work. However the
    mu3 play list does not.

    , Dec 5, 2005
  8. KiwiBrian

    wrote:

    > You can also extend to the Real player and a m3u playlist to give the
    > maximum chance of playing your sound. See
    > http://www.cwdjr.info/media/streamtest2.html . Since some players may
    > be installed on some browsers and not others and since different
    > players may be made the primary player for different file types, there
    > is a huge number of combinations of how a computer can be set up for
    > playing sound. On my setup, the IE6 plays the sound on both the WMP and
    > Real players. It plays the m3u playlist using the Winamp player. On my
    > several other browsers, both the WMP and Real players work. However the
    > mu3 play list does not.

    I gave the url of the WMP only page. The correct url is