streaming video

Smilin Armadillo

hi all
i need advises on embedding video on a web page.

I would like to offer my clients tutorial videos.
I would like to be able to keep a fair compability with all browsers.
I would like to make the video file light as possible in terms of weight.
And broadcast at the best speed possible.

Where should i start, and how should i proceed to remain efficient and
professional.

Anyone who knows online tutorials , good URL on the subject or would like to
post their advise, you help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sincerely

Smilin Armadillo

brucie

i need advises on embedding video on a web page.

what about just supplying a link to the videos so the visitor can
download them and use their preferred player?
I would like to be able to keep a fair compability with all browsers.

just link to several different formats then the browser they use
doesn't matter, just the format you supply.
Anyone who knows online tutorials , good URL on the subject or would like to
post their advise, you help would be appreciated.

your server needs to support streaming media

embedding media:

RealVideo
http://service.real.com/learnnav/rp1.html

quicktime
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/authoring/embed.html
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tools_tips/tutorials/activex.html

windows media
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwmt/html/addwmwebpage.asp

Smilin Armadillo

THanks Bruce,

here is more detail on what i intend on doing.

Video will be for registered users only.
i want to be able to use on single file for each video and stream it within
the page.

Now beeing a rookie, i dont know how to prevent a movie from beeing saved
onto the user computer. Is it possible?

Second: in terms of quality, speed, weight and High traffic, which format
should be the more appropriate and which method should be used? streaming?
another method?

Thank you for the URL you provided Bruce,

I am already checking the windows media player one.
I will also look into quick time.

Anyone else that would like to add advises or URL of tutorial to my post ,
you are all welcome to do so.

Thank you again.

brucie

THanks Bruce,
^^ i

you're welcome. please don't toppost

How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
i want to be able to use on single file for each video and stream it within
the page.

links in my previous post show how to embed media. you need a server
to stream the media and hope that your visitor supports the format
you're streaming and also browser/OS that supports it.
i dont know how to prevent a movie from beeing saved onto the user computer.
Is it possible?

no. once anything leaves your server you've lost control of it. people
can do whatever they like with it.
Second: in terms of quality, speed, weight and High traffic, which format
should be the more appropriate and which method should be used? streaming?
another method?

What Video Compression to Use?
http://www.netfact.com/csev/projects/cb2k/avtest/indexvid.htm

Performance Tests

Video and Streaming Media
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990808.html

Headless

brucie said:
your server needs to support streaming media

A streaming media server is only required for live streaming such as
net-radio. A standard http server is all you need for file based video,
use redirector files.

Headless

Whitecrest

A streaming media server is only required for live streaming such as
net-radio. A standard http server is all you need for file based video,
use redirector files.

Almost right, you are still missing what a media server is. Depending
on the number of concurrent viewers, you can easily stream live video
from any encoder. Media servers are used to preserve bandwidth. If it
is live or VOD makes no difference. In a nutshell, if someone connects
to the feed (live or VOD) at 500K, then will indeed get 500K. That is
what a media server does.

Smilin Armadillo

so streaming they view automatically without waiting?

when a video is embedded in a web page, is it streaming or it as nothing to
do with streaming.

Streaming and non-streaming confuses me.

does all format such as .mov .avi .wmv .mpeg support streaming.

And which format will give me the best optimisation in terms of quality and
weight.

So far from what i have read on the web is that quick time is the best
choice for combability, supported by Netscape and IE.

Now if im correct , netscape, mozilla uses plugin and IE uses Active X to
play the video.

Does it affects the video quality?

Whitecrest

so streaming they view automatically without waiting?

First don't top post.

Your answer:
Streaming video is a sequence of "moving images" that are sent in
compressed form over the Internet and displayed by the viewer as they
arrive. Streaming media is streaming video with sound. With streaming
video or streaming media, a Web user does not have to wait to download a
large file before seeing the video or hearing the sound. Instead, the
media is sent in a continuous stream and is played as it arrives. The
user needs a player, which is a special program that uncompresses and
sends video data to the display and audio data to speakers. A player can
be either an integral part of a browser or downloaded from the software
maker's Web site.
(from: http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7
_gci213055,00.html)
when a video is embedded in a web page, is it streaming or it as nothing to
do with streaming.

Nothing to do with streaming.
Streaming and non-streaming confuses me.

If download faster than you see it, you are streaming. Makes no
difference if it is from a file or a live feed.
does all format such as .mov .avi .wmv .mpeg support streaming.

In what you use to think of as streaming no, in what streaming really is
yes.
And which format will give me the best optimisation in terms of quality and
weight.

Totally depends on the video, and what you want to do with it. If you
are serious about offering video on your site, then you better not be
worried about physical file size. We have several servers dedicated to
nothing by video clips. All of the above formats you mentioned are
good. If you are offering a combination of mov, wmv, and rm you will
reach virtually every customer out there. The encoders for all three
are free, and almost every fire-wire card comes with free software to
save in all the formats.
So far from what i have read on the web is that quick time is the best
choice for combability, supported by Netscape and IE.

So is real, so is wmv, and avi, and.....
Now if im correct , netscape, mozilla uses plugin and IE uses Active X to
play the video.

Yep, 80%+ of the world's browsers use ActiveX components out of the box,
the other 20% use a plugin for the ActiveX component (that is usually
included anyway)

Complex video manipulation via javascript is more complex with some
browsers and plugins, because of live connect. But virtually everything
can be done on both.
Does it affects the video quality?

No that does not effect quality

Headless

Joel Shepherd said:
Simply providing a link to the video is simple, degrades reasonably
nicely, and doesn't require some kind of high-zoot streaming media
server on the other end.

One reason I hesitate to do this (maybe this is mistaken) is that my
site is regularly visited by bulk-downloaders and due to its size,
their visits incur a substantial bandwidth hit (my guess is on the
order of 80-100mb per visit). So I'm hesitant to put up a few files
that'll add another 10% or so to what bulk-downloaders mindlessly
slurp down.
Define"bulk-downloader".

Also, to be honest, having paid $700 or so for the video, I'm
disinclined to allow direct links. Am I wrong in believing streaming
video is harder to "walk off" with than a simple file?

Streaming via a streaming server does make it more difficult to save, if
you really need to restrict saving to a minimum then that's the way to
go.

Headless

Whitecrest

Actually, I'd be interested in exploring the pros and cons of this
(since I'm chewing it over myself).

Depending on the kind of site you have the pros and cons will be
different.
Also, to be honest, having paid $700 or so for the video, I'm
disinclined to allow direct links. Am I wrong in believing streaming
video is harder to "walk off" with than a simple file?

Not a reason, after the user sees it, it is on the user's computer.
Nothing you can do about that.
But, the price for that is $5/month for a server, and technical
restrictions on who can actually see the video (i.e., must have Media
Player 7.something+, etc.). And I don't like needlessly excluding
folks for technical reasons.

Since you now know that worrying about them stealing it is not a reason,
your list above is moot.
Have others faced a similar decision, and which way did they go?

Go and see. Check out the sites that are big on video. Any of the
networks (any country). The movie sites, including the indi film ones.
Check out sites that are like your's that offer video, what do they do?

Without knowing what you want, and why you want to do it, there is no
way someone can tell you the best way to do it.

Headless

Joel Shepherd said:
A tool that pulls down an entire website to a local hard drive for
later viewing by the visitor.

Most of those will not recognize media redirector files (some will).

Headless

Whitecrest

I guess this is what I'm not clear on. Are you saying that with
streaming media, something resembling the original source file on the
server is left on the visitor's system?
yes, live media can be captured on the client.
Yeah, that could be. Mostly I just want to flesh out the possibilities.

If you are just getting into this, check out what other sites that offer
media are doing. Especially look at sites that are similar to your own.
If it's true that a visitor could grab streaming media as easily as a
static image, then it seems like the main advantage to streaming media
is that they won't have to wait very long for the video or sound to
begin.

Not really, Microsoft media player files can start streaming in seconds.
it all depends on how you encoded it. Perfect example, You have a link
to a wmv file and you have the media player embedded on a page, and you
are running through a media server. In all cases depending on how you
encoded it and bandwidth, the file can start to play within seconds of
clicking on a link.

Smilin Armadillo

Netscape 6.0 and embedded wmv video.

Hi, i managed to educate myself on video and the web.

and found out how to embed windows media player streaming video.

Now i have provided 3 links on my page for different streaming bit/rates.

1 - 56k
2 - 100k
3 - 300k

I have tested my stuff in IE and Netscape communicator 4.5,

everything works well but when i try it in netscape 6.0, none of the video
worked.

I would like to know why.

here is the code i used.

<OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer1" width=300 height=300
classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
CODEBASE="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.
cab#Version=6,4,5,715" standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player
components..." type="application/x-oleobject">
<PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="false">
<PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="http://mysite/videofolder/myvideofile.wvx">
<PARAM NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="true">
<PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="true">
<PARAM NAME="animationatStart" VALUE="false">
<EMBED type="application/x-mplayer2"
pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/"
SRC="http://mysite/videofolder/myvideofile.wvx" name="MediaPlayer1"
width=300 height=300 autostart=0 showcontrols=1></EMBED>
</OBJECT>
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
if ( navigator.appName == "Netscape" )
{
navigator.plugins.refresh();
document.write("\x3C" + "applet MAYSCRIPT
Code=NPDS.npDSEvtObsProxy.class" )
document.writeln(" width=5 height=5 name=appObs\x3E
\x3C/applet\x3E")
}
//-->
</script>

NOw in the tutorial i have read, they said to add the JS script for
Netscape, but i got no idea what that snippet of code does.
Can anyone explain it to me? and is it the reason why it is not working in
Netscape 6.0

Smilin Armadillo

ok, but why it worked with comunicator?

How should i embed my stuff so it is compatible in most browser?

Headless

Smilin Armadillo said:
ok, but why it worked with comunicator?

Did it?
How should i embed my stuff so it is compatible in most browser?

You shouldn't embed, see the "How Do I Embed Music............" thread
from this same group.

Headless

Whitecrest

Hi, i managed to educate myself on video and the web.

The learning never ends....
<OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer1" width=300 height=300
classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
CODEBASE="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.
cab#Version=6,4,5,715" standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player
components..." type="application/x-oleobject">
<PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="false">
<PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="http://mysite/videofolder/myvideofile.wvx">
<PARAM NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="true">
<PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="true">
<PARAM NAME="animationatStart" VALUE="false">
<EMBED type="application/x-mplayer2"
pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/"
SRC="http://mysite/videofolder/myvideofile.wvx" name="MediaPlayer1"
width=300 height=300 autostart=0 showcontrols=1></EMBED>
</OBJECT>

I and used similar code, and it works fine in the three you mention.
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
if ( navigator.appName == "Netscape" )
{
navigator.plugins.refresh();
document.write("\x3C" + "applet MAYSCRIPT
Code=NPDS.npDSEvtObsProxy.class" )
document.writeln(" width=5 height=5 name=appObs\x3E
\x3C/applet\x3E")
}
//-->
</script>

Never used that.

Smilin Armadillo

That is nice, i will keep looking for tutorial and someone that is more
experienced to give me advise.

So far you share oppinion and comments but dont really bring anything
constructive to this post.

Why some user always play SmartAss on newsgroup?

Whitecrest

That is nice, i will keep looking for tutorial and someone that is more
experienced to give me advise.
So far you share oppinion and comments but dont really bring anything
constructive to this post.
Why some user always play SmartAss on newsgroup?

If you want something more than generic advice, then ask something more
than a generic question.

"Here's the <object> code, and it doesn't work. What is wrong?"

Duuu?