    Thank you

    Sincerely

    Smilin Armadillo
    Smilin Armadillo, Jun 28, 2003

  2. Smilin Armadillo

    brucie Guest

    In post <xqoLa.6812$>
    Smilin Armadillo said...

    > i need advises on embedding video on a web page.

    what about just supplying a link to the videos so the visitor can
    download them and use their preferred player?

    > I would like to be able to keep a fair compability with all browsers.

    just link to several different formats then the browser they use
    doesn't matter, just the format you supply.

    > Anyone who knows online tutorials , good URL on the subject or would like to
    > post their advise, you help would be appreciated.

    your server needs to support streaming media

    embedding media:

    RealVideo
    http://service.real.com/learnnav/rp1.html

    quicktime
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/authoring/embed.html
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tools_tips/tutorials/activex.html

    windows media
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwmt/html/addwmwebpage.asp

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 29/June/2003 08:21:54 am kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/
    brucie, Jun 28, 2003

  3. THanks Bruce,

    here is more detail on what i intend on doing.

    Video will be for registered users only.
    i want to be able to use on single file for each video and stream it within
    the page.

    Now beeing a rookie, i dont know how to prevent a movie from beeing saved
    onto the user computer. Is it possible?

    Second: in terms of quality, speed, weight and High traffic, which format
    should be the more appropriate and which method should be used? streaming?
    another method?

    Thank you for the URL you provided Bruce,

    I am already checking the windows media player one.
    I will also look into quick time.

    Anyone else that would like to add advises or URL of tutorial to my post ,
    you are all welcome to do so.

    Thank you again.

    Smilin Armadillo, Jun 29, 2003
  4. Smilin Armadillo

    brucie Guest

    In post <SipLa.6910$>
    Smilin Armadillo said...

    > THanks Bruce,

    ^^ i

    you're welcome. please don't toppost

    How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    > i want to be able to use on single file for each video and stream it within
    > the page.

    links in my previous post show how to embed media. you need a server
    to stream the media and hope that your visitor supports the format
    you're streaming and also browser/OS that supports it.

    > i dont know how to prevent a movie from beeing saved onto the user computer.
    > Is it possible?

    no. once anything leaves your server you've lost control of it. people
    can do whatever they like with it.

    > Second: in terms of quality, speed, weight and High traffic, which format
    > should be the more appropriate and which method should be used? streaming?
    > another method?

    What Video Compression to Use?
    http://www.netfact.com/csev/projects/cb2k/avtest/indexvid.htm

    Performance Tests

    Video and Streaming Media
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990808.html

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 29/June/2003 09:32:24 am kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/
    brucie, Jun 29, 2003
  5. Smilin Armadillo

    Headless Guest

    brucie <> wrote:

    >> i need advises on embedding video on a web page.

    >your server needs to support streaming media

    A streaming media server is only required for live streaming such as
    net-radio. A standard http server is all you need for file based video,
    use redirector files.

    Headless
    Headless, Jun 29, 2003
  6. Smilin Armadillo

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > A streaming media server is only required for live streaming such as
    > net-radio. A standard http server is all you need for file based video,
    > use redirector files.

    Almost right, you are still missing what a media server is. Depending
    on the number of concurrent viewers, you can easily stream live video
    from any encoder. Media servers are used to preserve bandwidth. If it
    is live or VOD makes no difference. In a nutshell, if someone connects
    to the feed (live or VOD) at 500K, then will indeed get 500K. That is
    what a media server does.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jun 29, 2003
  7. so streaming they view automatically without waiting?

    when a video is embedded in a web page, is it streaming or it as nothing to
    do with streaming.

    Streaming and non-streaming confuses me.

    does all format such as .mov .avi .wmv .mpeg support streaming.

    And which format will give me the best optimisation in terms of quality and
    weight.

    So far from what i have read on the web is that quick time is the best
    choice for combability, supported by Netscape and IE.

    Now if im correct , netscape, mozilla uses plugin and IE uses Active X to
    play the video.

    Does it affects the video quality?

    Smilin Armadillo, Jun 29, 2003
  8. Smilin Armadillo

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <A1FLa.6228$>,
    says...
    > so streaming they view automatically without waiting?

    First don't top post.

    Your answer:
    Streaming video is a sequence of "moving images" that are sent in
    compressed form over the Internet and displayed by the viewer as they
    arrive. Streaming media is streaming video with sound. With streaming
    video or streaming media, a Web user does not have to wait to download a
    large file before seeing the video or hearing the sound. Instead, the
    media is sent in a continuous stream and is played as it arrives. The
    user needs a player, which is a special program that uncompresses and
    sends video data to the display and audio data to speakers. A player can
    be either an integral part of a browser or downloaded from the software
    maker's Web site.
    (from: http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7
    _gci213055,00.html)

    > when a video is embedded in a web page, is it streaming or it as nothing to
    > do with streaming.

    Nothing to do with streaming.

    > Streaming and non-streaming confuses me.

    If download faster than you see it, you are streaming. Makes no
    difference if it is from a file or a live feed.

    > does all format such as .mov .avi .wmv .mpeg support streaming.

    In what you use to think of as streaming no, in what streaming really is
    yes.

    > And which format will give me the best optimisation in terms of quality and
    > weight.

    Totally depends on the video, and what you want to do with it. If you
    are serious about offering video on your site, then you better not be
    worried about physical file size. We have several servers dedicated to
    nothing by video clips. All of the above formats you mentioned are
    good. If you are offering a combination of mov, wmv, and rm you will
    reach virtually every customer out there. The encoders for all three
    are free, and almost every fire-wire card comes with free software to
    save in all the formats.

    > So far from what i have read on the web is that quick time is the best
    > choice for combability, supported by Netscape and IE.

    So is real, so is wmv, and avi, and.....

    > Now if im correct , netscape, mozilla uses plugin and IE uses Active X to
    > play the video.

    Yep, 80%+ of the world's browsers use ActiveX components out of the box,
    the other 20% use a plugin for the ActiveX component (that is usually
    included anyway)

    Complex video manipulation via javascript is more complex with some
    browsers and plugins, because of live connect. But virtually everything
    can be done on both.

    > Does it affects the video quality?

    No that does not effect quality

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jun 29, 2003
  9. Smilin Armadillo

    Headless Guest

    Joel Shepherd <> wrote:

    >Simply providing a link to the video is simple, degrades reasonably
    >nicely, and doesn't require some kind of high-zoot streaming media
    >server on the other end.
    >
    >One reason I hesitate to do this (maybe this is mistaken) is that my
    >site is regularly visited by bulk-downloaders and due to its size,
    >their visits incur a substantial bandwidth hit (my guess is on the
    >order of 80-100mb per visit). So I'm hesitant to put up a few files
    >that'll add another 10% or so to what bulk-downloaders mindlessly
    >slurp down.

    Define"bulk-downloader".

    >Also, to be honest, having paid $700 or so for the video, I'm
    >disinclined to allow direct links. Am I wrong in believing streaming
    >video is harder to "walk off" with than a simple file?

    Streaming via a streaming server does make it more difficult to save, if
    you really need to restrict saving to a minimum then that's the way to
    go.

    Headless
    Headless, Jun 29, 2003
  10. Smilin Armadillo

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bdn6qp$tlj$>,
    says...
    > > what about just supplying a link to the videos so the visitor can
    > > download them and use their preferred player?

    > Actually, I'd be interested in exploring the pros and cons of this
    > (since I'm chewing it over myself).

    Depending on the kind of site you have the pros and cons will be
    different.

    > Also, to be honest, having paid $700 or so for the video, I'm
    > disinclined to allow direct links. Am I wrong in believing streaming
    > video is harder to "walk off" with than a simple file?

    Not a reason, after the user sees it, it is on the user's computer.
    Nothing you can do about that.

    > But, the price for that is $5/month for a server, and technical
    > restrictions on who can actually see the video (i.e., must have Media
    > Player 7.something+, etc.). And I don't like needlessly excluding
    > folks for technical reasons.

    Since you now know that worrying about them stealing it is not a reason,
    your list above is moot.

    > Have others faced a similar decision, and which way did they go?

    Go and see. Check out the sites that are big on video. Any of the
    networks (any country). The movie sites, including the indi film ones.
    Check out sites that are like your's that offer video, what do they do?

    Without knowing what you want, and why you want to do it, there is no
    way someone can tell you the best way to do it.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jun 29, 2003
  11. Smilin Armadillo

    Headless Guest

    Joel Shepherd <> wrote:

    >>> my site is regularly visited by bulk-downloaders and due to its
    >>> size, their visits incur a substantial bandwidth hit (my guess is
    >>>on the order of 80-100mb per visit).

    >> Define"bulk-downloader".

    >A tool that pulls down an entire website to a local hard drive for
    >later viewing by the visitor.

    Most of those will not recognize media redirector files (some will).

    Headless
    Headless, Jun 30, 2003
  12. Smilin Armadillo

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bdnmo8$1h4$>,
    says...

    > I guess this is what I'm not clear on. Are you saying that with
    > streaming media, something resembling the original source file on the
    > server is left on the visitor's system?

    yes, live media can be captured on the client.

    > > Since you now know that worrying about them stealing it is not a reason,
    > > your list above is moot.

    > Yeah, that could be. Mostly I just want to flesh out the possibilities.

    If you are just getting into this, check out what other sites that offer
    media are doing. Especially look at sites that are similar to your own.

    > If it's true that a visitor could grab streaming media as easily as a
    > static image, then it seems like the main advantage to streaming media
    > is that they won't have to wait very long for the video or sound to
    > begin.

    Not really, Microsoft media player files can start streaming in seconds.
    it all depends on how you encoded it. Perfect example, You have a link
    to a wmv file and you have the media player embedded on a page, and you
    are running through a media server. In all cases depending on how you
    encoded it and bandwidth, the file can start to play within seconds of
    clicking on a link.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jun 30, 2003
  13. Netscape 6.0 and embedded wmv video.

    Hi, i managed to educate myself on video and the web.

    and found out how to embed windows media player streaming video.

    Now i have provided 3 links on my page for different streaming bit/rates.

    1 - 56k
    2 - 100k
    3 - 300k

    I have tested my stuff in IE and Netscape communicator 4.5,

    everything works well but when i try it in netscape 6.0, none of the video
    worked.

    I would like to know why.

    here is the code i used.

    <OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer1" width=300 height=300
    classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
    CODEBASE="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.
    cab#Version=6,4,5,715" standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player
    components..." type="application/x-oleobject">
    <PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="false">
    <PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="http://mysite/videofolder/myvideofile.wvx">
    <PARAM NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="true">
    <PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="true">
    <PARAM NAME="animationatStart" VALUE="false">
    <EMBED type="application/x-mplayer2"
    pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/"
    SRC="http://mysite/videofolder/myvideofile.wvx" name="MediaPlayer1"
    width=300 height=300 autostart=0 showcontrols=1></EMBED>
    </OBJECT>
    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    if ( navigator.appName == "Netscape" )
    {
    navigator.plugins.refresh();
    document.write("\x3C" + "applet MAYSCRIPT
    Code=NPDS.npDSEvtObsProxy.class" )
    document.writeln(" width=5 height=5 name=appObs\x3E
    \x3C/applet\x3E")
    }
    //-->
    </script>

    NOw in the tutorial i have read, they said to add the JS script for
    Netscape, but i got no idea what that snippet of code does.
    Can anyone explain it to me? and is it the reason why it is not working in
    Netscape 6.0

    Smilin Armadillo, Jul 1, 2003
  14. ok, but why it worked with comunicator?

    How should i embed my stuff so it is compatible in most browser?

    "Headless" <> wrote in message
    > "Smilin Armadillo" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi, i managed to educate myself on video and the web.

    > I somehow doubt it.
    >
    > >everything works well but when i try it in netscape 6.0, none of the

    video
    > >worked.

    > Why am I not surprised?
    >
    > ><OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer1" width=300 height=300
    > >classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"

    >CODEBASE="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf

    ..

    Smilin Armadillo, Jul 1, 2003
  15. Smilin Armadillo

    Headless Guest

    "Smilin Armadillo" <> wrote:

    >ok, but why it worked with comunicator?

    Did it?

    >How should i embed my stuff so it is compatible in most browser?

    You shouldn't embed, see the "How Do I Embed Music............" thread
    from this same group.

    Headless
    Headless, Jul 1, 2003
  16. Smilin Armadillo

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <OI4Ma.13378$>,
    says...
    > Hi, i managed to educate myself on video and the web.

    The learning never ends....

    > <OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer1" width=300 height=300
    > classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
    > CODEBASE="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.
    > cab#Version=6,4,5,715" standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player
    > components..." type="application/x-oleobject">
    > <PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="false">
    > <PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="http://mysite/videofolder/myvideofile.wvx">
    > <PARAM NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="true">
    > <PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="true">
    > <PARAM NAME="animationatStart" VALUE="false">
    > <EMBED type="application/x-mplayer2"
    > pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/"
    > SRC="http://mysite/videofolder/myvideofile.wvx" name="MediaPlayer1"
    > width=300 height=300 autostart=0 showcontrols=1></EMBED>
    > </OBJECT>

    I and used similar code, and it works fine in the three you mention.

    > <script language="JavaScript">
    > <!--
    > if ( navigator.appName == "Netscape" )
    > {
    > navigator.plugins.refresh();
    > document.write("\x3C" + "applet MAYSCRIPT
    > Code=NPDS.npDSEvtObsProxy.class" )
    > document.writeln(" width=5 height=5 name=appObs\x3E
    > \x3C/applet\x3E")
    > }
    > //-->
    > </script>

    Never used that.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jul 1, 2003
  17. That is nice, i will keep looking for tutorial and someone that is more
    experienced to give me advise.

    So far you share oppinion and comments but dont really bring anything
    constructive to this post.

    Why some user always play SmartAss on newsgroup?

    Smilin Armadillo, Jul 2, 2003
  18. Smilin Armadillo

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <nHBMa.49367$>,
    says...
    > That is nice, i will keep looking for tutorial and someone that is more
    > experienced to give me advise.
    > So far you share oppinion and comments but dont really bring anything
    > constructive to this post.
    > Why some user always play SmartAss on newsgroup?

    If you want something more than generic advice, then ask something more
    than a generic question.

    "Here's the <object> code, and it doesn't work. What is wrong?"

    Duuu?

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com