    space.

    TIA

    , Oct 2, 2008

  2. Neredbojias Guest

    On 02 Oct 2008, wrote:

    > I am trying to achieve the following but I am not sure how to:
    >
    > I have two divs contained within an outer div which is constrained by
    > a fixed width. The inner two divs should appear alongside each other
    > with the left floating div stretching rightwards to fill the space not
    > taken up by the right floating div. The problem is I do not know the
    > width of the right most div as the width changes depending on content.
    > So the left floating div needs to stretch each time to fill the slack
    > space.

    Float the right div in the left-floated div.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Oct 2, 2008

  3. In article <Xns9B2B3DDF3D546neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>
    > On 02 Oct 2008, wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to achieve the following but I am not sure how to:
    > >
    > > I have two divs contained within an outer div which is constrained by
    > > a fixed width. The inner two divs should appear alongside each other
    > > with the left floating div stretching rightwards to fill the space not
    > > taken up by the right floating div. The problem is I do not know the
    > > width of the right most div as the width changes depending on content.
    > > So the left floating div needs to stretch each time to fill the slack
    > > space.

    > Float the right div in the left-floated div.

    Or just float the right and leave the left in normal flow.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 5, 2008
  4. Neredbojias Guest

    On 04 Oct 2008, Jonathan N. Little <> wrote:

    > In article <Xns9B2B3DDF3D546neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>
    >> On 02 Oct 2008, wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am trying to achieve the following but I am not sure how to:
    >> >
    >> > I have two divs contained within an outer div which is constrained
    >> > by a fixed width. The inner two divs should appear alongside each
    >> > other with the left floating div stretching rightwards to fill the
    >> > space not taken up by the right floating div. The problem is I do
    >> > not know the width of the right most div as the width changes
    >> > depending on content. So the left floating div needs to stretch
    >> > each time to fill the slack space.

    >> Float the right div in the left-floated div.
    >>

    > Or just float the right and leave the left in normal flow.

    Uh huh, that's probably better than the way I mentioned which would,
    incidentally, require additional widthing. However, the solo float
    right would have to be marked up before the normal-flow left div.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Oct 5, 2008
  5. Re: Stretching adjacent floats, OT news servers

    In article <Xns9B2E37536272neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>
    > Uh huh, that's probably better than the way I mentioned which would,
    > incidentally, require additional widthing. However, the solo float
    > right would have to be marked up before the normal-flow left div.

    Yes, unfortunately it's required to meet the OP's criteria.

    Oh and Neredbojias, a while back you were hunting for another news
    server. What did you settle upon? I been looking for a freebie text-only
    because my ISP supplied with nTelos is on the fritz AGAIN. nTelos has
    the flakiest service. This is posted via aiole.org seems okay, doesn't
    have comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html though...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 5, 2008
  6. Neredbojias Guest

    On 05 Oct 2008, Jonathan N. Little <> wrote:

    > In article <Xns9B2E37536272neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>
    >> Uh huh, that's probably better than the way I mentioned which would,
    >> incidentally, require additional widthing. However, the solo float
    >> right would have to be marked up before the normal-flow left div.
    >>

    > Yes, unfortunately it's required to meet the OP's criteria.
    >
    > Oh and Neredbojias, a while back you were hunting for another news
    > server. What did you settle upon? I been looking for a freebie
    > text-only because my ISP supplied with nTelos is on the fritz AGAIN.
    > nTelos has the flakiest service. This is posted via aiole.org seems
    > okay, doesn't have comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html though...

    I, too, am using news.aioe.org (-and also don't seem to have
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html.) Motzarella ?may? be working
    again which is another free news provider (news.motzarella.org). I got
    both of these from 'the fishmeister' who may know of others.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Oct 5, 2008
  7. Re: Stretching adjacent floats, OT news servers

    In article <Xns9B2E52830D395neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>
    > I, too, am using news.aioe.org (-and also don't seem to have
    > comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html.)

    Seems to be sometimes slow on update. nTelos is fine when it works. I
    can receive articles but can no longer post. They may have changed their
    authorization protocol and 'forgot' to inform my ISP!

    > Motzarella ?may? be working
    > again which is another free news provider (news.motzarella.org). I got
    > both of these from 'the fishmeister' who may know of others.

    Yeah, I was looking at that one as well. Most of the freebies are
    readonly binaries that cater to a specific clientèle.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 5, 2008
  8. Re: Stretching adjacent floats, OT news servers

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > In article <Xns9B2E37536272neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>
    >> Uh huh, that's probably better than the way I mentioned which would,
    >> incidentally, require additional widthing. However, the solo float
    >> right would have to be marked up before the normal-flow left div.
    >>

    > Yes, unfortunately it's required to meet the OP's criteria.
    >
    > Oh and Neredbojias, a while back you were hunting for another news
    > server. What did you settle upon? I been looking for a freebie text-only
    > because my ISP supplied with nTelos is on the fritz AGAIN. nTelos has
    > the flakiest service. This is posted via aiole.org seems okay, doesn't
    > have comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html though...

    See sig.

    --
    Blinky

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 5, 2008
  9. dorayme Guest

    Jonathan N. Little <> wrote:

    > This is posted via aiole.org seems okay, doesn't
    > have comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html though...

    So that is why I was having trouble with aiole and ciwa. There is
    something odd about ciwa, Google Groups says: "You cannot post messages
    because this group is only available as an archive".

    aiole was too many times saying you cannot post because of a lost
    connection with server and would do odd things like suddenly make the
    unread messages number to be fetched disappear to zero. So I switched
    back to Optus newsserver which, to use your terrific phrase (in a
    related post, is "fine when it works".

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 5, 2008
  10. Neredbojias Guest

    Re: Stretching adjacent floats, OT news servers

    On 05 Oct 2008, Jonathan N. Little <> wrote:

    > In article <Xns9B2E52830D395neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>
    >> I, too, am using news.aioe.org (-and also don't seem to have
    >> comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html.)

    > Seems to be sometimes slow on update.

    Yep.

    > nTelos is fine when it works. I
    > can receive articles but can no longer post. They may have changed
    > their authorization protocol and 'forgot' to inform my ISP!

    Could be. I have cable so I dunno how aioe verifies me.

    >> Motzarella ?may? be working
    >> again which is another free news provider (news.motzarella.org). I
    >> got both of these from 'the fishmeister' who may know of others.

    > Yeah, I was looking at that one as well. Most of the freebies are
    > readonly binaries that cater to a specific clientèle.

    True, but I myself don't "do" binaries, anyway. I believe Blinky's posted
    sig-link page had another news server offered but forgot the name.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Oct 6, 2008