String containing algorithm

JS

Hi all,
Can anyone help me with a small problem I'm having. I need to write a method
which takes two Strings of any lengths and returns any letters which are
common between the two. The Strings will be something like ABECA and they
could be of any length.

For example:
ABECA and ECDRE would return EC, I dont mind about the order which they come
in because I am processing them further anyway.

I just cant get any algorithms to work on it, not even brute force.
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
JS

zero

Hi all,
Can anyone help me with a small problem I'm having. I need to write a
method which takes two Strings of any lengths and returns any letters
which are common between the two. The Strings will be something like
ABECA and they could be of any length.

For example:
ABECA and ECDRE would return EC, I dont mind about the order which
they come in because I am processing them further anyway.

I just cant get any algorithms to work on it, not even brute force.
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
JS

This sounds suspiciously like a homework assignment.

Here's a possible algorithm (no code, I'm sure you can handle that
yourself)

prerequisites: Strings A and B of arbitrary length; empty string (or
stringbuffer) C.

1. take the first character in string A, and compare it to every
character in B
1a. alternative to 1: take the first character in string A, turn it into
a CharSequence, and use String method contains()
2. if you have a match, add it to a C
3. take the next character in A, and we're back at 1.

If you want a case-insensitive algorithm just add toLowerCase or
toUpperCase.

If you want to weed out duplicates, check if the current character is
already contained in C.

Roedy Green

For example:
ABECA and ECDRE would return EC, I dont mind about the order which they come
in because I am processing them further anyway.

I would do it with two java.util.BitSets
each 64K bits long (possibly shorter if you can guarantee a narrower
char range.). Go through String a turning on bits corresponding to
chars in bita. (index bit by char number). Then repeat with b and
bitb.

Then compute the logical AND of bita and bitb.

Roedy Green

For example:
ABECA and ECDRE would return EC, I dont mind about the order which they come
in because I am processing them further anyway.

another approach is to create a HashSet of the chars in string a. Then
create another HashSet for String b. Then enumerate HashSet b and
remove els that don't exist in set a.

Another approach to is use a nested loop

pseudocode:

for each char in string a
for each char in string b

if achar == bchar add to HashSet if not already there.

Alan Krueger

JS said:
Hi all,
Can anyone help me with a small problem I'm having. I need to write a method
which takes two Strings of any lengths and returns any letters which are
common between the two. The Strings will be something like ABECA and they
could be of any length.

For example:
ABECA and ECDRE would return EC, I dont mind about the order which they come
in because I am processing them further anyway.

Please clarify. Your example fits your text, but it also matches a
"longest common substring" search. The answers you've received so far
appear to address both of these.

For instance, what happens if you use "ABCDEF" and "FEDCBA"? If it's
all the letters in common in both strings, you'll get "ABCDEF" in some
permutation. If it's a longest common substring, you'll get one of the
letters.

If you're truly just searching for all letters in common between the two
strings, you might want to use a HashSet<Character> for each string, add
each character in each string to its respective HashSet, and obtain
the set of common characters by intersecting the sets.

Alan Krueger

Roedy said:
another approach is to create a HashSet of the chars in string a. Then
create another HashSet for String b. Then enumerate HashSet b and
remove els that don't exist in set a.

Set.retainAll already does that last bit.
Another approach to is use a nested loop

pseudocode:

for each char in string a
for each char in string b
if achar == bchar add to HashSet if not already there.

That's unnecessarily O(n^2) - not horrible for a quick-and-dirty, but to
be avoided in production and homework assignments. Sorting them and
then linearly merging them would be O(n log n), and the HashSet approach
is O(n) when the hash table is large enough and the hash function is
well-tuned to the data.

Alan Krueger

Roedy said:
I would do it with two java.util.BitSets
each 64K bits long (possibly shorter if you can guarantee a narrower
char range.). Go through String a turning on bits corresponding to
chars in bita. (index bit by char number). Then repeat with b and
bitb.

A sparse set implementation would be better; if you have string lengths
far below 64K, it's not going to use very much of that space.

Plus, while Java represents characters internally in UTF-16, there are
far more than 2^16 code points possible.

Roedy Green

Plus, while Java represents characters internally in UTF-16, there are
far more than 2^16 code points possible.

char is 16 bits so there can't possibly be more than 2^16 = 64K
combinations. With a java.util.BitSet you can track presence with 8K
bytes worth of bits (stored as longs in a BitSet).

most of the time you have an upper bound on your unicode chars
considerably lower than 64K.

The advantage of BitSet is the speed of direct addressing. Any sparce
scheme will have a lot of lookup overhead.

Alan Krueger

Roedy said:
char is 16 bits so there can't possibly be more than 2^16 = 64K
combinations.

There cannot be more than 2^16 char values, but there are far more than
2^16 Unicode code points, depending on your version of Unicode.

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/Supplementary/

"Supplementary characters are characters in the Unicode
standard whose code points are above U+FFFF, and which
therefore cannot be described as single 16-bit entities
such as the char data type in the Java programming
language. [...]

"These are now interpreted as UTF-16 sequences, and the
implementations of these APIs is changed to correctly
handle supplementary characters. The enhancements are
part of version 5.0 of the Java 2 Platform, Standard
Edition (J2SE) [...]

"The Unicode standard therefore has been extended to allow
up to 1,112,064 characters."

Because it's UTF-16, these characters are serialized into 16-bit
character sequences, which means that not every character represents a
single Unicode code point, sometimes multiple characters are used.
most of the time you have an upper bound on your unicode chars
considerably lower than 64K.

The advantage of BitSet is the speed of direct addressing. Any sparce
scheme will have a lot of lookup overhead.

No, a properly-sized HashSet will have CONSTANT TIME lookup, just like a
lookup table.

JS

Thanks everyone for your help. The easiest one sounds like zeros idea which
should work a treat. I'm not worried about the time of the algorithm because
it isnt for submission or publication anywhere, and for those of you still
left wondering, sorry about my explaination, i meant any letters in any
order regardless of where they are.
Thanks again
JS

Thomas Hawtin

Alan said:
"The Unicode standard therefore has been extended to allow
up to 1,112,064 characters."

That is code points 0-0x10ffff less 0xd800-0xdfff (which are used as
surrogate pairs to create the post-16-bit values).

The quoted article doesn't show how to iterate over code points of a
String, which goes something like:

final int num = str.length();
for (int off=0; off<num; ) {
int codePoint = str.codePointAt(off);
off += Character.charCount(codePoint);
}

What a mess.
No, a properly-sized HashSet will have CONSTANT TIME lookup, just like a
lookup table.

You call it CONSTANT TIME; I call it ORDER OF MAGNITUDE.

For the typical case of US ASCII characters, the BitSet method will be
contained within a mere 16 bytes or so of data. BitSet wins hands down
there.

In the worst case scenario, all characters appear. BitSet will expand to
actively use around 136 K. A HashSet will be using, say 50 MB. One of
these approaches will be more cache-friendly.

In some ways it is similar to the ArrayList vs LinkedList trade-off.

Where HashSet may win is for very short strings with the odd high code
point, particularly if the BitSet is not kept.

Tom Hawtin

Alan Krueger

Thomas said:
That is code points 0-0x10ffff less 0xd800-0xdfff (which are used as
surrogate pairs to create the post-16-bit values).

The quoted article doesn't show how to iterate over code points of a
String, which goes something like:

final int num = str.length();
for (int off=0; off<num; ) {
int codePoint = str.codePointAt(off);
off += Character.charCount(codePoint);
}

What a mess.

You call it CONSTANT TIME; I call it ORDER OF MAGNITUDE.

It's still an amortised O(c) time algorithm. You're talking about space
which is a different issue.
For the typical case of US ASCII characters, the BitSet method will be
contained within a mere 16 bytes or so of data. BitSet wins hands down
there.

In the worst case scenario, all characters appear. BitSet will expand to
actively use around 136 K. A HashSet will be using, say 50 MB. One of
these approaches will be more cache-friendly.

In the worst case of the OP's problem, remember that you also have two
strings which combined fill at least 1.1 million code points of at least
16 bits each. If the string has duplication, we're already talking
about many megabytes of string to walk, which isn't cache-friendly either.
In some ways it is similar to the ArrayList vs LinkedList trade-off.

Where HashSet may win is for very short strings with the odd high code
point, particularly if the BitSet is not kept.

It also helps that BitSet expands as needed, but one little outlier will
make the BitSet expand to its worst-case size, whereas HashSet will only
expand when it runs out of room.

Roedy Green

There cannot be more than 2^16 char values, but there are far more than
2^16 Unicode code points, depending on your version of Unicode.

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/Supplementary/

Here is my new understanding of codepoints. I was under the delusion
the 32-bit stuff had no effect on ordinary String and char[]

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/codepoint.html for the formatted
version:

Please speak now, and at any time in future you notice an error:

Unicode started out as a 16-bit code with 64K possible characters. At
first, this seemed more than enough to encode all the world's
alphabets. Unicode was such a success, scholars also soon wanted to
encode dead scripts such as cuneiform as well, and soon all the slots
were full.

Unicode was extended to 32 bits, with the corresponding UTF-16
encoding also extended with a clumsy system of surrogate characters to
encode the 32-bit characters above 0xffff.

The term codepoint in Java tends to be used to mean a slot in the
32-bit Unicode assignment, though I suspect the term is also valid to
mean a spot in Unicode-16 or any other character set.

Java now straddles the 16-bit and 32-bit worlds. You might think Java
would now have a 32-bit analog to Character, perhaps called CodePoint,
and a 32-bit analog to String, perhaps called CodePoints, but it does
not. Instead, Strings and char[] are permitted to contain surrogate
pairs which encode a single high-32-bit codepoint.

StringBuilder.append( int codepoint ) will accept 32-bit codepoints to
append.

FontMetrics.charWidth( int codepoint ) will tell you the width in
pixels to render a given codepoint.

Character.isValidCodePoint( int codepoint ) will tell you if there is
a glyph assigned to that codepoint. That is still no guarantee your
Font will render it though. Character. codePointAt and codePointBefore
let you deal with 32-bit codepoints encoded as surrogate pairs in char
arrays. Most of the Character methods now have a version that accepts
an int codepoint such as toLowerCase.

IchBin

Roedy said:
[...]

Sorry guys but not to go off into bit land but I threw this together.
What is wrong with doing it this way..

public String stringMatch (String in1, String in2, boolean mixedCase)
{
String key = in1;
String target = in2;
String foundMatch = "";

if (in1.length()>in2.length()){
key=in2;
target=in1;
}
if (!mixedCase){
key=key.toUpperCase();
target=target.toUpperCase();
}
for(int i = 0; i < key.length(); i++){
if ( target.indexOf( key.substring(i,i+1)) > -1)
foundMatch = foundMatch.concat( key.substring(i,i+1));
}
return foundMatch;

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Thomas Hawtin

IchBin said:
Sorry guys but not to go off into bit land but I threw this together.
What is wrong with doing it this way..

Well, it's much more fun to talk about all sorts of esoterica.
for(int i = 0; i < key.length(); i++){
if ( target.indexOf( key.substring(i,i+1)) > -1)
foundMatch = foundMatch.concat( key.substring(i,i+1));
}

Firstly, that doesn't take into account code points we were talking
about, uses String in places where char would be sufficient, the
formatting is a bit odd and != -1 is probably more obvious than > -1, IMO.

Secondly, that looks like an O(n^2) solution to an O(n) problem. Not
necessarily a problem, but generally not advisable.

Tom Hawtin

Roedy Green

Secondly, that looks like an O(n^2) solution to an O(n) problem. Not
necessarily a problem, but generally not advisable.

if you could guarantee an upper bound on the length of the two
strings, you might find an O(n^2) solution could win out over an O(n).