String function to delete characters

Prasad

Hi all,

Do we have a string function in RUBY to delete 1st 3 characters
or last 3 character or 3 characters in middle from the string.

Ex:

user = aaaPrasadxxxPrasadxxx

from above string "user" I want to delete 1st characters "aaa"
In the same way I want to delete last 3 characters "xxx" and , need
to delete middle 3 characters "xxx"

to delete last 3 character & 1st 3 characters, i have used code as
below;

user = user.chop.chop.chop

user = user.reverse.chop.chop.chop.reverse

Other than this do we have any other string function in ruby?

could you please help in this issue.

Regards,
Prasad.

Frederick Cheung

Hi all,

Do we have a string function in RUBY to delete 1st 3 characters
or last 3 character or 3 characters in middle from the string.

Ex:

user = aaaPrasadxxxPrasadxxx

from above string "user" I want to delete 1st characters "aaa"
In the same way I want to delete last 3 characters "xxx" and , need
to delete middle 3 characters "xxx"

to delete last 3 character & 1st 3 characters, i have used code as
below;

Depending on what you're doing, gsub/gsub!, slice/slice! or delete may
be what you want

gsub allows you to replace the portions of the string matching a pattern
slice/slice! are for extracting/deleting the characters in a given range
delete removes occurences of a particular string

Fred

jazzez ravi

Prasad said:
Hi all,

Do we have a string function in RUBY to delete 1st 3 characters
or last 3 character or 3 characters in middle from the string.

Ex:

user = aaaPrasadxxxPrasadxxx

from above string "user" I want to delete 1st characters "aaa"
In the same way I want to delete last 3 characters "xxx" and , need
to delete middle 3 characters "xxx"

to delete last 3 character & 1st 3 characters, i have used code as
below;

user = user.chop.chop.chop

user = user.reverse.chop.chop.chop.reverse

Other than this do we have any other string function in ruby?

could you please help in this issue.

Hi Prasad,

This code only works when user="aaaPrasadxxxPrasadxxx"

irb(main):012:0>user = "aaaPrasadxxxPrasadxxx"
irb(main):012:0> user.gsub("xxx","").gsub("aaa","")
=> "PrasadPrasad"
irb(main):013:0>

In case you have more types of USer strings then just post here. We will
try it..

Regards,
P.Raveendran,
RF,Chennai,