String in Web.config to specify AD connection

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Frank00, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. Frank00

    Frank00 Guest

    I run a .NET based portal product. I am using windows authentication. This
    mode of authentication and the string specifying the connection to AD is
    specified in the application's web.config file. This portal has always worked
    fine, though recently, our infrastructure team changed our internal domain
    name. Now I can no longer authenticate any users no matter how I change the
    connect string in the web.config file.

    For the purposes of this discussion my former domain name is 'abc.com' and
    my new domain name is '123.abcdefghijklm.com'. The name of the server
    housing AD is now 'DC1.123.abcdefghijklm.com'. The netbios name had to be
    truncated to 15 characters to accommodate a couple NT4 servers and its new
    designation is '123.abcdefghijk'.

    The previous connect string in web.config which worked with the old domain
    name:
    <code><add key="ADdns" value="LDAP://DC1.abc.com/DC=abc, DC=com;
    WinNT://abc"/></code>

    I tried the following to accommodate the name change (domain and netBios):
    <code><add key="ADdns"
    value="LDAP://DC1.123.abcdefghijklm.com/DC=123.abcdefghijklm, DC=com;
    WinNT://123.abcdefghijk"/></code>

    It didn't work. The application generates an error specifying the domain
    cannot be contacted.

    Can anyone help me with this one?

    Frank00, Apr 11, 2005

  2. I'm not sure what either of these has to do with Windows authentication as
    it does not use LDAP or WinNT for authentication. Are you doing forms
    authentication against AD using LDAP?

    In any case, I'd suggest you discover the defaultNamingContext for your
    domain again by binding to RootDSE on your domain controller and reading the
    defaultNamingContext attribute. This will give you the new domain root.

    In general, you should never hard code that in an application but should
    always look it up dynamically from RootDSE.

    HTH,

    Joe K.

    Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\), Apr 11, 2005