String Pattern Matching: regex and Python regex documentation

Discussion in 'Java' started by Xah Lee, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    the Python regex documentation is available at:
    http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_re-write/lib/module-re.html

    Note that, i've just made the terms of use clear.

    Also, can anyone answer what is the precise terms of license of the
    official python documentation? The official python.org doc site is not
    clear.

    Note also, that the regex syntax used by Perl is the same as Python.
    So, this section
    http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_re-write/lib/re-syntax.html
    which contains clear explanation of regex syntax, will be of interest
    to Perl programers as well.

    If you are studying regex, you might also be interested in this lisp
    doc:
    http://xahlee.org/elisp/Regular-Expressions.html

    Also note, that the regex syntax, is one of unix's $free$ fuckup that
    has damaged a entire computer industry for decades. ($free$ as drugs
    given to children)

    For some examples of corrective steps, see:

    • Scsh manual, Chapter 6: Pattern-matching strings with regular
    expressions
    http://www.scsh.net/docu/html/man-Z-H-7.html

    • Mathematica Book, section 2.8.4 String Patterns
    http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/book/section-2.8.4

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/
    Xah Lee, Sep 17, 2006

  2. [followup to c.l.py]

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > the Python regex documentation is available at:
    > http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_re-write/lib/module-re.html
    >
    > Note that, i've just made the terms of use clear.
    >
    > Also, can anyone answer what is the precise terms of license of the
    > official python documentation? The official python.org doc site is not
    > clear.

    I would be interested in this information, too.

    > Note also, that the regex syntax used by Perl is the same as Python.
    > So, this section
    > http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_re-write/lib/re-syntax.html
    > which contains clear explanation of regex syntax, will be of interest
    > to Perl programers as well.

    Your tutorial has helped me to write my first regular expression:

    http://dev.lazaridis.com/base/changeset/60

    your notes about documentation are interesting, too:

    http://xahlee.org/perl-python/re-write_notes.html

    I have some notes, too:

    http://case.lazaridis.com/wiki/Docu

    -

    I would like to read more on your website, but the usability is
    terrible, mainly due to the missing navigation.

    What about an exchange?

    I assist you with the navigation. you will just need apache
    server-side-include and one file "navigation.html", which will contail
    all of the navigation, very simple.

    And you make an real life example for a python regular expression use-case:

    i want to scan a text for this line:

    [[CustomAttributes(this=4,that=34,name='peter')]]

    picking "this=4" ...

    and add the attributes to an object.

    object = addCustomAttributes(text)

    (ok, the regex part would be enouth).