string similarity in python

Achim Domma

Hi,

I have a list of lets say 100-1000 strings and want to know which one is
most similar to a reference string. Does somebody know such a library for
Python? I don't need complicated scientific stuff, I think the most simple
ones will do it for my data.

regards,
Achim

Peter Otten

Achim said:
I have a list of lets say 100-1000 strings and want to know which one is
most similar to a reference string. Does somebody know such a library for
Python? I don't need complicated scientific stuff, I think the most simple
ones will do it for my data.

Remembering an algorithm called Levenshtein, google came up with something
that looks promising.

http://trific.ath.cx/resources/python/levenshtein/

HTH,
Peter

anton muhin

Achim said:
Hi,

I have a list of lets say 100-1000 strings and want to know which one is
most similar to a reference string. Does somebody know such a library for
Python? I don't need complicated scientific stuff, I think the most simple
ones will do it for my data.

regards,
Achim

get_close_matches function in standard difflib module might be what you
are looking for.

regards,
anton.

vincent wehren

| Hi,
|
| I have a list of lets say 100-1000 strings and want to know which one is
| most similar to a reference string. Does somebody know such a library for
| Python? I don't need complicated scientific stuff, I think the most simple
| ones will do it for my data.
|
| regards,
| Achim

http://trific.ath.cx/resources/python/levenshtein/

It lets you calculate Levenshtein distance as well as a ratio of similarity
based on it, allowing you to "tweak" your results. You can use the source
both as C app or as C/Python extension module.

Getting it to do what you probably won't take you more than a few minutes...

Regards

Vincent Wehren

Luca Montecchiani