'String was not recognized as a valid DateTime

Pial

I am facing problem in the following situation:

I have a text box in the aspx file name: openDate. And my date format is mm/dd/yyyy.

C#:

private DateTime _opendate;

_openDate = DateTime.Parse(Request.Form["openDate"]);

I get error saying 'String was not recognized as a valid DateTime'

thanks in advance

Zahir

singh_angrez

Hi,

Just check what is the value you are getting from
Request.Form["openDate"].
I just works like this.

string date = "04/21/2005"; // in the format mm/dd/yyyy;
DateTime temp = DateTime.Parse(date);

//The above code runs without any exception.

Just check what the string are you getting using
Request.Form["open_date"];

Regards,
angrez

sachintana

Error occured when openDate query string is not in the date format
(mm/dd/yyyy).

Please use try, catch between your code lines.
And check whether the _opendate variable is null before using it.

private DateTime _opendate;

try
{
_opendate = DateTime.Parse(Request.Form["openDate"]);
}
catch(FormatException ex)
{
_opendate = null;
}

if(_opendate!=null)
{
//Do what ever you want
}

Best regards,
sachintana-MCSD.NET

"Pial" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Pial

Hi Angrez:

I check it with your code but the same error message, but one thing
when i change the format "21/04/2005" means(dd/mm/yyyy) it is working.
Is that means my machine system date is setting is dd/mm/yyyy....?
then how do i know that which format of date could use by the client!

Thanks in advance
Zahir

Maqsood Ahmed

Hello,
Please try to use CurrentCulture's DateTimeFormat property.

DateTime dt = DateTime.Parse(dtString,
System.Threading.Tread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture.DateTimeFormat);

HTH.
Maqsood Ahmed [MCP,C#]
Kolachi Advanced Technologies
http://www.kolachi.net

Maqsood Ahmed

but obviously, it'll work only if dtstring is in correct format
according to Current DateTime format of your computer (or current
thread) :)

Maqsood Ahmed [MCP,C#]
Kolachi Advanced Technologies
http://www.kolachi.net

Nassos

Hi Pial,
Instead of DateTime.Parser use Convert.ToDateTime(string date).
Hope that works for you.