Strong Naming a dll and registering in GAC

stephen

Hi,

I am working with Microsoft Configuration Application Blocks and whenever I
create a new app and have to use it, I have to reference it and it makes a
local copy in the bin directory.
so if i created 4 apps then there are local copies of these blocks...

I tried to use GACUtil to register these dlls but it gives me an error
saying that its not having a strong name, i tried sn tool but unsuccessful.
I have tried to strong name a dll but the way i did it was in an app where I
first created a strong name and then referenced it in the app before
compiling the dll and then used GAC to register it...
but this is some external dll...

I mean is my thought process right or I am totally off base...
Please advice,
Stephen

Guest

stephen,
You cannot install an assembly in the GAC without a strong name so you need
to solve this problem first.
After that, you can put copies of strong named, GAC-ed assemblies in a
single folder and reference these from your various apps; you can turn off
the copy local feature, and the copy in the GAC will be automatically used.
Hope that helps,
Peter