Strongly typed dataset

Chris

I have started using strongly typed datasets as the basis of my data access
layer. They work well but can be a bit fiddly when adding columns. I have a
column which refuses to "change". It is an integer which when I change its
value in the datatable it changes from 1 to 2 (I can see it in the
debugger). When I call the update method it resets back to 1.

Does anyone have any ideas. I don't want to recreate my DAL object without
knowing what I have done wrong. Ideally I would like to just recreate all my
stored procedures but doing that seems to "append columns" to the dataset in
the design view.

If I add some columns to my database what is the best way of regenerating
all the stored procedure and the column names for the strongly typed
dataset.

Regards, Chris.

John Saunders [MVP]

Chris said:
I have started using strongly typed datasets as the basis of my data access
layer. They work well but can be a bit fiddly when adding columns. I have a
column which refuses to "change". It is an integer which when I change its
value in the datatable it changes from 1 to 2 (I can see it in the
debugger). When I call the update method it resets back to 1.

Does anyone have any ideas. I don't want to recreate my DAL object without
knowing what I have done wrong. Ideally I would like to just recreate all
my stored procedures but doing that seems to "append columns" to the
dataset in the design view.

If I add some columns to my database what is the best way of regenerating
all the stored procedure and the column names for the strongly typed
dataset.

I don't know the answer to your problem, but here's a hint: DataSets don't
write to the database. Look at the parts that do. You may find, for
instance, that it isn't that the column is being reset to 1, but that it
isn't being set to 2.