Strongly typed datasets and XML

Big D

I am having trouble understanding strongly typed datasets and XML files. I
have the following schema:

<xs:schema id="Pages" targetNamespace="http://asdf.org/EOBEPages.xsd"
elementFormDefault="qualified"
xmlns="http://asdf.org" xmlns:mstns="http://asdf.org/EOBEPages.xsd"
<xs:element name="EOBEPages">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="Page">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="PageTitle" type="xs:string" />
<xs:element name="PageText" type="xs:string" />
<xs:element name="PageNumber" type="xs:integer" />
<xs:element name="NumImages" type="xs:integer" />
<xs:element name="ImagesDescription" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="1" />
<xs:element name="ImageDefinitions">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="Description" type="xs:string" />
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

I load the xml data into the dataset no problem, and can access the "page"
info by:

myDataset.Page(index).pageTitle

, etc, but can NOT access the "ImageDefinitions", because I guess I don't
understand how. What I wanted to do is something like:

myVar = myDataset.Page(index).ImageDefinitions(index2).Description

but this is not part of the dataset... why? How can I get access to the
image definition descriptions based on the page index?

Thanks a bunch!

MC D

bruce barker

datasets are tables with relationships. every xml complex type becomes a new
table. ImageDefinitions becomes a table which you can access.

myVar = myDataset.ImageDefinitions(index).Description

if you have a relionship setup you can access ImageDefinitions rows from
Page rows using GetChildRows

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)