strptime dilemma with Python 2.5

pythonista

Hello,
I have a date string looking like the following:

"Sun May 30 07:25:17 2010"

With Python 2.6, the %f is supported (it parses the microseconds), so
that this statement works:

dt = datetime.strptime(s, "%a %b %d %H:%M:%f %Y")

However, with Python 2.5, (which is supported on the live Webfaction
server I'm using), %f is not supported.

Is there a straightforward way to simply ignore the :17 microseconds
in the original string?

Maybe force it to "00" ? - but without having to actually change the
original string by removing the ":17" ?

If I simply leave out the ":%f" in the strptime call, I get back a "
ValueError: time data did not match format: data=Sun May 30
19:33:54 2010 fmt=%a %b %d %H:%M %Y

Hoping for a simple solution that someone is familiar with
Thanks
Steve

MRAB

pythonista said:
Hello,
I have a date string looking like the following:

"Sun May 30 07:25:17 2010"

With Python 2.6, the %f is supported (it parses the microseconds), so
that this statement works:

dt = datetime.strptime(s, "%a %b %d %H:%M:%f %Y")

However, with Python 2.5, (which is supported on the live Webfaction
server I'm using), %f is not supported.

Is there a straightforward way to simply ignore the :17 microseconds
in the original string?

Maybe force it to "00" ? - but without having to actually change the
original string by removing the ":17" ?

If I simply leave out the ":%f" in the strptime call, I get back a "
ValueError: time data did not match format: data=Sun May 30
19:33:54 2010 fmt=%a %b %d %H:%M %Y

Hoping for a simple solution that someone is familiar with

The date string looks like it has hours, minutes and seconds, not hours,
minutes and microseconds.

pythonista

You know why it looks like it has seconds and not microseconds?

Because it does, and I'm on something.

Thank you