Struct size

Eric Sosman

Richard said:
Richard Tobin said:

I wonder whether it's possible to killfile an entire sub-continent.

That would be stupid and unjust, and also unjust and stupid,
not to mention unjust. Oh, and stupid, too. Need I say more more?

Barry Schwarz

Ian Collins said:
Jeff said:
... without using the sizeof function? ...
Why, sizeof is there for a good reason ...
[And then the grand finale, 15 lines of legalese]

Surly you can trim all this nonsense?

To all those who find this unusual, consider yourselves lucky you were
not forced to do the same.
There are companies that require this type of statements on outgoing
email. That text may have been added automatically by his employer
email system, with or without Mr. Syverson's consent.

Oddly enough, the sender had enough control to replace his email
address with (e-mail address removed). Makes one wonder why he couldn't get
rid of the boiler plate also.

Remove del for email

Richard Heathfield

Eric Sosman said:
That would be stupid and unjust, and also unjust and stupid,
not to mention unjust. Oh, and stupid, too. Need I say more more?

But, my dear chap, you haven't answered the question. I didn't ask whether
it would be sensible or just. I merely asked whether it would be possible.
:)

Eric Sosman

Richard said:
Eric Sosman said:
Richard said:
[...]
I wonder whether it's possible to killfile an entire sub-continent.
That would be stupid and unjust, and also unjust and stupid,
not to mention unjust. Oh, and stupid, too. Need I say more more?

But, my dear chap, you haven't answered the question. I didn't ask whether
it would be sensible or just. I merely asked whether it would be possible.
:)

An apt summary of the thread's original question ...

Thad Smith

Eric said:
Richard wrote:

Twenty years ago, no. And twenty years from now, perhaps
not. But today, right now, a systems engineer ignorant of C --
even of the bare basics of C -- ought not to carry the label
"senior."

A fundamental question: what is the expected expertise of a systems
engineer? A system is an a set of components that interact to achieve a
goal. An engineer is someone who designs systems.

Is a system engineer one who can design any possible system, say, a
system for defending the border against human invaders and also a system
for improving the yield of food crops? Or does a system engineer only
have expertise in one unspecified system type? Are both system
engineering types expected to know C?

Ben Pfaff

Eric Sosman said:
Twenty years ago, no. And twenty years from now, perhaps
not. But today, right now, a systems engineer ignorant of C --
even of the bare basics of C -- ought not to carry the label
"senior."

Is a "systems engineer" necessarily someone who works on software
systems? I would not make that assumption.

Flash Gordon

Ben Pfaff wrote, On 21/09/07 05:09:
Is a "systems engineer" necessarily someone who works on software
systems? I would not make that assumption.

Nor would I having worked with Systems Engineers where the SW was only a
small part and said engineers would ask the SW Engineers for input on
SW, HW Engineers for input on HW, experts on optics for...

Army1987

Army1987 said:
Eric Sosman said:
[snip] "What's the most elegant and
efficient way to distinguish even numbers from odds without
using the notion of `two'?"
return n & 1;

How do you explain what & does without using the notion of 'two'?
:)

Yields the result of performing a bitwise AND of all its operands.
What does 'bitwise' mean? :)

Btw, "n is even if (-1)**n is +1, odd if it is -1".

Al Balmer

Ian Collins said:
Jeff P. Syverson wrote:
... without using the sizeof function? ... ...
Why, sizeof is there for a good reason ...
[And then the grand finale, 15 lines of legalese]

Surly you can trim all this nonsense?

To all those who find this unusual, consider yourselves lucky you were
not forced to do the same.
There are companies that require this type of statements on outgoing
email. That text may have been added automatically by his employer
email system, with or without Mr. Syverson's consent.

Oddly enough, the sender had enough control to replace his email
address with (e-mail address removed). Makes one wonder why he couldn't get
rid of the boiler plate also.
If it were real company-required boilerplate, it would be added
*after* he hit the send button, unlike the email address.

Army1987

But first, define "even" and "odd" without using the notion of "two".

Then, define "prime" without using the notion of "division".

And then explain Goldbach's conjecture without using either notion.
But wait, hasn't Hofstadter already done that?
(Unless "the successor of the successor of b" uses the notion of
"two", but that was just a workaround because he couldn't use the
notion of "greater than".)