Structured Verification Request for Information

M. Norton

Hello,

In the past, the companies where I worked had less stringent needs for
verification. Quite often being able to use the product on the bench
was sufficient, or slightly more formal simulation results with test
vectors and viewing testbench results in the wave editor manually were
sufficient.

However, my current employer deals with a number of certification
authorities (e.g. the FAA) that impose a rigid audit of processes and
procedures for complex electronic hardware. These strictures have
been tightening over the past several years as they discovered just
how complex these devices can get! It seems to me now that this
company could stand to work with more formalized verification
engineers working hand in hand with the DUT development engineers,
rather than leaving the verification til the end to be banged out
quickly.

So, I'm trying to find a place to get started with this topic. I've
read a white paper by Ben Cohen on transactional verification
performed in HDL which seems interesting. I like the idea of being
able to stay within VHDL for the verification without having to add on
a lot of 3rd party tools. I know there are some languages out there
like SystemVerilog but do not know much about them. I'm not really
sure how all of these fit into a broad depiction of verification, and
how that might apply to our specific devices.

Does anyone have some pointers on where to get started with
structured, formalized verification, without any marketing hype from
tool and language vendors? I need to find a way to get a grounding so
I can make my own assessments of the value of the tools and languages.

Thanks for any help folks can provide.

Best regards,
Mark Norton

HT-Lab

M. Norton said:
[...]

I would suggest you start by reading the free Verification Cookbook from
Mentor (http://www.mentor.com/products/fv/_3b715c/). This cookbook describes
a comprehensive structured test environment. Although they use
SystemVerilog(OVM/AVM)/SystemC(AVM only) you can do a lot of these
techniques in VHDL albeit with a "bit more" programming effort.

Other suggestion is to look at training companies like Doulos and Synthwork,
they have special VHDL verification courses were they discuss techniques
like constrained random(CR), transaction level modelling(TLM), some
functional verification, bus functional models etc.

I would also suggest you look into assertions. Unfortunately getting a PSL
license for most VHDL simulators is not going to be cheap (to put it
mildly), however, the verification benefits you get from assertions is
huge. The next step would be to use a proper formal tool ($$$) like
Solidify/0-in and many others and forget about creating stimuli altogether
:). If you can't afford a PSL license then look into the free OVL
assertion/monitors library.

You can also have a look at SystemC which luckily is not so expensive (at
least not in the case of Modelsim PE). SystemC allows you to easily add
C/C++ models to your environment, gives you access to TLM2, Object
Orientation, transaction recording and Constrained Random. Mixing VHDL and
SystemC is (at least in Modelsim) very simple.

Good luck,

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

Marcus Harnisch

Hi Mark

I know that the "M"-word (not Mark!) has been used quite a lot in
other follow-ups, but one of the better known EDA vendors is currently
solicting customers with seminars covering mission/safety critical
hardware design (e.g. DO-254). I attended one of these and the
audience was mostly people like you described yourself.

Regards
Marcus

NigelE

--
note that "property" can also be used as syntaxtic sugar to reference
a property, breaking the clean design of verilog; [...]

             (seen onhttp://www.veripool.com/verilog-mode_news.html)

The Mentor web site has a section dedicated to DO-254 design and
verification.

http://www.mentor.com/products/fpga_pld/req_tracking/do-254/index.cfm

You definitely WILL find some EDA marketing material here but there's
also a lot of generic information on the subject.

Regards

- Nigel
Mentor Graphics

M. Norton

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Hopefully I can omnibus the
answers here without cluttering the group with a lot of individual