Structuring Site/Solution

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Simon Harris, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Simon Harris

    Simon Harris Guest

    Hi All,

    I work in a team of three developers. 99% of our work is developing
    'applications' for our organisations Intranet - mainly whats become known to
    us as e-employee apps, such as sickness/holiday reporting/authrisation,
    handling the new starter/leaver processes, etc...the list goes on.

    Up to recently, we have been developing in 'classic' ASP, storing all apps
    in subdirectories of there own.

    We are now starting to develop using VS.Net...We want to get this as right
    as we can from the start, hence the following Q's...

    - Should the 'site' be one project, or one solution? Or should each app be a
    project, or even solution of its own?
    - How do we share code? (Previously shared functions etc using include
    files) Is this where the global assembly cache comes into play? I've not had
    much luck finding documentation about this - I guess 'sharing' code becomes
    a whole lot more important now, thinking in terms of building reusable
    classes/functions...etc!
    - We also need away of sharing chunks of HTML for headers etc...Are ASCX
    files the right way to go for this?

    I guess the questions arose when we started to discuss when to do builds,
    when to deploy from development to live servers etc...We would need to do
    this individually, for each application, as we tend to develop apps that
    way - One developer will work on one project for X weeks, and then test and
    deploy.

    Hope that makes sense! Look forward to any advice anyone may have.

    Regards,
    Simon.

    Simon Harris, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Simon Harris

    Patrice Guest

    We used a single solution and a directory for each "module".

    Developement is done using the isolated model (ie using IIS on the developer
    machine). Once the source is checked in on the build server we have a batch
    file that compiles the app as a DLL for each module. It allows to update
    indivually each module (and we have also a common support DLLs for common
    stuff).

    Sharing is really easy. Use user controls for HTML fragments but you could
    use just classes to share "pure" code...

    Patrice

    Patrice, Oct 5, 2004