Struggling to install HTML::Mason (mod_perl would be a good start!)

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by john_ramsden@sagitta-ps.com, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am trying to install HTML::Mason, for use with Apache 2.0.48
    mod_perl v2. on Windows (using ActiveState perl v5.8.4) and wondered if
    anyone had encountered the same problems with a similar combination.

    When I try running apache.exe manually, it aborts with the following
    error (lines wrapped for readability):

    Can't locate HTML/Mason/ApacheHandler.pm in @INC
    (@INC contains: C:\Program Files\ActiveState
    Perl Dev Kit 6.0\lib\
    . C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2) at (eval 2) line 3.

    I then try running perl manually, to see if this module is installed:

    perl -MHTML::Mason::ApacheHandler -e 1

    which results in the following error message:

    Can't locate Apache/Constants.pm in @INC
    (@INC contains: C:\Program Files\ActiveState
    Perl Dev Kit 6.0\lib\
    C:/Perl/lib
    C:/Perl/site/lib .)
    at C:/Perl/site/lib/HTML/Mason/ApacheHandler.pm line 13.

    So it appears the ApacheHandler.pm module is installed but references
    another module, Apache::Constants.pm.

    However, I can't for the life of me find this blasted
    Apache::Constants.pm module, not via ppm or even a Google
    search.

    Any ideas?

    I did see a note on one web page to the effect that something
    in Mason or mod_perl didn't like spaces in file names (despite this
    being the 2000s not the 1970s).

    To rule out that possibility I'd be happy to change all the
    file names in @INC paths to use the DOS 8.3 compatibility
    ones, such as Progra~1 instead of 'Program Files'. Does
    anyone know where to access the predefined @INC path list
    for this purpose?

    , Mar 9, 2005

    perl -le 'print for @INC'

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Mar 9, 2005

  3. J. Gleixner Guest

    wrote:
    > I am trying to install HTML::Mason, for use with Apache 2.0.48
    > mod_perl v2. on Windows (using ActiveState perl v5.8.4) and wondered if
    > anyone had encountered the same problems with a similar combination.

    > However, I can't for the life of me find this blasted
    > Apache::Constants.pm module, not via ppm or even a Google
    > search.

    Really?? Using Google and looking for Apache::Constants.pm shows many
    links. (hint modperl....)

    > Any ideas?

    Give the HTTP::Mason site a try:

    http://masonhq.com/

    specifically

    http://masonhq.com/?ApacheModPerl2

    J. Gleixner, Mar 9, 2005

    Tad McClellan wrote:

    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know where to access the predefined @INC path list

    > perl -le 'print for @INC'

    Thanks for your prompt reply Tad. What I meant though was
    are these paths listed in a config file somewhere I can go
    and change the Windows file names containing spaces to
    DOS-style 8.3 names listed with the DOS command "dir /x",
    e.g.:

    C:\Program Files\ActiveState Perl Dev Kit 6.0\lib\
    C:/Perl/lib
    C:/Perl/site/lib

    to:

    C:\Progra~1\Active~1.0\lib\
    :::

    , Mar 9, 2005
  5. <> wrote:
    > Tad McClellan wrote:
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Does anyone know where to access the predefined @INC path list

    >> perl -le 'print for @INC'

    > Thanks for your prompt reply Tad.

    That isn't likely to happen often (re: numbnuts), I went slumming
    into the negative-scored articles. :-(

    > What I meant though was
    > are these paths listed in a config file somewhere I can go
    > and change

    They are compiled into the perl binary.

    perldoc -q library

    How do I keep my own module/library directory?

    Tad McClellan, Mar 9, 2005
  6. J. Gleixner Guest

    J. Gleixner wrote:

    > Give the HTTP::Mason site a try: