Struggling to install HTML::Mason (mod_perl would be a good start!)

john_ramsden

I am trying to install HTML::Mason, for use with Apache 2.0.48
mod_perl v2. on Windows (using ActiveState perl v5.8.4) and wondered if
anyone had encountered the same problems with a similar combination.

When I try running apache.exe manually, it aborts with the following
error (lines wrapped for readability):

Can't locate HTML/Mason/ApacheHandler.pm in @INC
(@INC contains: C:\Program Files\ActiveState
Perl Dev Kit 6.0\lib\
. C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2) at (eval 2) line 3.

I then try running perl manually, to see if this module is installed:

perl -MHTML::Mason::ApacheHandler -e 1

which results in the following error message:

Can't locate Apache/Constants.pm in @INC
(@INC contains: C:\Program Files\ActiveState
Perl Dev Kit 6.0\lib\
C:/Perl/lib
C:/Perl/site/lib .)
at C:/Perl/site/lib/HTML/Mason/ApacheHandler.pm line 13.

So it appears the ApacheHandler.pm module is installed but references
another module, Apache::Constants.pm.

However, I can't for the life of me find this blasted
Apache::Constants.pm module, not via ppm or even a Google
search.

Any ideas?

I did see a note on one web page to the effect that something
in Mason or mod_perl didn't like spaces in file names (despite this
being the 2000s not the 1970s).

To rule out that possibility I'd be happy to change all the
file names in @INC paths to use the DOS 8.3 compatibility
ones, such as Progra~1 instead of 'Program Files'. Does
anyone know where to access the predefined @INC path list
for this purpose?

J. Gleixner

I am trying to install HTML::Mason, for use with Apache 2.0.48
mod_perl v2. on Windows (using ActiveState perl v5.8.4) and wondered if
anyone had encountered the same problems with a similar combination.
However, I can't for the life of me find this blasted
Apache::Constants.pm module, not via ppm or even a Google
search.

Really?? Using Google and looking for Apache::Constants.pm shows many
links. (hint modperl....)
Any ideas?

Give the HTTP::Mason site a try:

http://masonhq.com/

specifically

http://masonhq.com/?ApacheModPerl2

john_ramsden

Tad said:
perl -le 'print for @INC'

Thanks for your prompt reply Tad. What I meant though was
are these paths listed in a config file somewhere I can go
and change the Windows file names containing spaces to
DOS-style 8.3 names listed with the DOS command "dir /x",
e.g.:

C:\Program Files\ActiveState Perl Dev Kit 6.0\lib\
C:/Perl/lib
C:/Perl/site/lib

to:

C:\Progra~1\Active~1.0\lib\
:::

Tad McClellan

Thanks for your prompt reply Tad.

That isn't likely to happen often (re: numbnuts), I went slumming
into the negative-scored articles. :-(

What I meant though was
are these paths listed in a config file somewhere I can go
and change

They are compiled into the perl binary.

perldoc -q library

How do I keep my own module/library directory?