    Thanks
    NK
    , Jul 13, 2005

  2. Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:30:27 +0100, <> wrote:

    > Hi, my company is considering using struts but it looks like it would
    > be hard to use it for a project with multiple developers since you have
    > a central struts-config.xml file. Can you tell me if this statement is
    > right or there is a way to use struts in a multiple devlopers
    > environment without constantly sharing the same file? If you wouldn't
    > choose struts would you just rewrite a controller servlet? Or there is
    > one outhere?
    > Appreciate your insight.
    > Thanks
    > NK

    I have used Struts recently so things may be different now, but in the
    past I've used it in a team of four or five developers without any
    problems. Sharing the config file shouldn't be a problem, that's what
    your configuration management system is for.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.dandyer.co.uk
    Daniel Dyer, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:42:04 +0100, Daniel Dyer
    <> wrote:

    > I have used Struts recently so things may be different now...

    That should read "I haven't used Struts recently..."

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.dandyer.co.uk
    Daniel Dyer, Jul 13, 2005
  4. Wendy Smoak Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Hi, my company is considering using struts but it looks like it would
    > be hard to use it for a project with multiple developers since you have
    > a central struts-config.xml file. Can you tell me if this statement is
    > right or there is a way to use struts in a multiple devlopers
    > environment without constantly sharing the same file?

    http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/configuration.html#module_config-files

    5.3.1 Module Configuration Files

    Back in Struts 1.0, a few "boot-strap" options were placed in the web.xml
    file, and the bulk of the configuration was done in a single
    struts-config.xml file. Obviously, this wasn't ideal for a team environment,
    since multiple users had to share the same configuration file.

    Since Struts 1.1, you have two options: you can list multiple struts-config
    files as a comma-delimited list, or you can subdivide a larger application
    into modules.

    With the advent of modules, a given module has its own configuration file.
    This means each team (each module would presumably be developed by a single
    team) has their own configuration file, and there should be a lot less
    contention when trying to modify it.

    --
    Wendy Smoak
    Wendy Smoak, Jul 13, 2005

    Use Ant to automagically create the file. You simply place tags in
    every Action, and then Ant will analyse the source at build time and
    create the struts-config.xml . Let a tool do it - the file gets big and
    unwieldly. I'm currently on a project with 8 developers, 5 doing only
    struts, and we have no problems at all on the config file side.

    HTH,
    iksrazal
    http://www.braziloutsource.com/
    , Jul 14, 2005

    Thanks for all your insights, very appreciated....
    NK
    , Jul 14, 2005
  7. Al Wichert Guest

    schrieb:
    > Hi, my company is considering using struts but it looks like it would
    > be hard to use it for a project with multiple developers since you have
    > a central struts-config.xml file. Can you tell me if this statement is
    > right or there is a way to use struts in a multiple devlopers
    > environment without constantly sharing the same file? If you wouldn't
    > choose struts would you just rewrite a controller servlet? Or there is
    > one outhere?
    > Appreciate your insight.
    > Thanks
    > NK

    Hi we use Struts since release 0.5 and we never had a serious problem.
    Our team consists of 8 GUI developers.
    Try subversion as source code management tool.

    Al
    Al Wichert, Jul 18, 2005