Struts and multiple developers

nkunkov

Hi, my company is considering using struts but it looks like it would
be hard to use it for a project with multiple developers since you have
a central struts-config.xml file. Can you tell me if this statement is
right or there is a way to use struts in a multiple devlopers
environment without constantly sharing the same file? If you wouldn't
choose struts would you just rewrite a controller servlet? Or there is
one outhere?
Appreciate your insight.
Thanks
NK

Daniel Dyer

Hi, my company is considering using struts but it looks like it would
be hard to use it for a project with multiple developers since you have
a central struts-config.xml file. Can you tell me if this statement is
right or there is a way to use struts in a multiple devlopers
environment without constantly sharing the same file? If you wouldn't
choose struts would you just rewrite a controller servlet? Or there is
one outhere?
Appreciate your insight.
Thanks
NK

I have used Struts recently so things may be different now, but in the
past I've used it in a team of four or five developers without any
problems. Sharing the config file shouldn't be a problem, that's what
your configuration management system is for.

Dan.

Wendy Smoak

Hi, my company is considering using struts but it looks like it would
be hard to use it for a project with multiple developers since you have
a central struts-config.xml file. Can you tell me if this statement is
right or there is a way to use struts in a multiple devlopers
environment without constantly sharing the same file?

http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/configuration.html#module_config-files

5.3.1 Module Configuration Files

Back in Struts 1.0, a few "boot-strap" options were placed in the web.xml
file, and the bulk of the configuration was done in a single
struts-config.xml file. Obviously, this wasn't ideal for a team environment,
since multiple users had to share the same configuration file.

Since Struts 1.1, you have two options: you can list multiple struts-config
files as a comma-delimited list, or you can subdivide a larger application
into modules.

With the advent of modules, a given module has its own configuration file.
This means each team (each module would presumably be developed by a single
team) has their own configuration file, and there should be a lot less
contention when trying to modify it.

iksrazal

Use Ant to automagically create the file. You simply place tags in
every Action, and then Ant will analyse the source at build time and
create the struts-config.xml . Let a tool do it - the file gets big and
unwieldly. I'm currently on a project with 8 developers, 5 doing only
struts, and we have no problems at all on the config file side.

HTH,
iksrazal
http://www.braziloutsource.com/

Al Wichert

Hi, my company is considering using struts but it looks like it would
be hard to use it for a project with multiple developers since you have
a central struts-config.xml file. Can you tell me if this statement is
right or there is a way to use struts in a multiple devlopers
environment without constantly sharing the same file? If you wouldn't
choose struts would you just rewrite a controller servlet? Or there is
one outhere?
Appreciate your insight.
Thanks
NK

Hi we use Struts since release 0.5 and we never had a serious problem.
Our team consists of 8 GUI developers.
Try subversion as source code management tool.

Al