Struts call renders JSP, but doesn't execute Action class when doing this (short circuit)

javaguy

I've a Struts-based web site, using Struts 2.0 (May 6, 2005 build)
libraries. I'm writing a resource that can be displayed in the
browser page (through my web site's main menu), and can be called in a
tailored form through a popup from another of my site's main menu
pages. The same ActionForm instance is used in either case, and
pulled from the HttpSession.

The idea is that my customized instance of a LookupDispatchAction will
examine the passed-in parameters, decide how to customize the results,
and render content through a customized ActionForm and JSP file.

If I call the resource from my site's main menu, all works OK. Now I
navigate to that other web page and ask for the resource to be
displayed in a popup page (Javascript window.open()). What I get in
this event is the ActionForm has its reset() and validate() methods
called, and then the JSP page is rendered. What I expect to occur is
my LookupDispatchAction will get called first. What is happening
wrong here is that the LookupDispatchAction isn't being called at all.

Funny thing is, if I run the site from a standalone Tomcat (version
5.5) the bug occurs. If the site is run from the Eclipse-based Tomcat
the bug doesn't occur.

So, a Struts URL (mypage.do) is being requested, but instead of
routing to the class specified in the struts-config.xml a shortcut is
being presumed, and the previous contents currently contained in the
ActionForm (in the session) are being rendered.

Does this ring any bells out there, that can help me out?

Thanks in advance,
Jerome.