    the session context?

    TIA
    John
    John, Jan 30, 2005

  2. John

    Hive Guest

    > is there a way to exchange data between different web applications deployed
    > at the same servlet

    With or without Struts, the answer is no. There is no common context
    for the whole servlet container.

    --

    H.
    Hive, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Hive wrote:

    >> is there a way to exchange data between different web applications deployed
    >> at the same servlet

    > With or without Struts, the answer is no. There is no common context
    > for the whole servlet container.

    Not exactly - there is no common context for whole servlet container
    in servlet spec, but some containers have container specific no-spec extensions:

    In Jakarta Tomcat container read:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/context.html
    crossContext attribute

    For other containers check doc for specific container
    (WebSphere has Shared Session Context option in EAR deployment descriptor).

    --
    HTH, Olek
    Aleksander =?iso-8859-2?Q?Str=B1czek?=, Jan 30, 2005
  4. John

    Hive Guest

    > Not exactly - there is no common context for whole servlet container
    > in servlet spec, but some containers have container specific no-spec extensions:

    You are right, there probably are some vendor specific solutions
    but this feature does not exist in specification for good security
    related reasons. It might be a good idea to strongly suggest the
    original poster that most likely he or she can do well without
    this feature, thus staying fully J2EE compatible and avoiding while
    after migrating to other server etc.

    --

    H.
    Hive, Jan 30, 2005
  5. John

    Wendy S Guest

    "John" <> wrote:
    > by using the Java Jakarta Struts framework, is there a way to exchange
    > data between different web applications deployed at the same servlet
    > container directly by using something similar tothe servlet context or
    > the session context?

    What are you trying to do? What kind of information do you need to share
    between webapps?

    Depending on what it is, you could put the information in a database that
    can be accessed by all of the webapps, or you can have the webapps
    themselves be able answer requests for info. (As complex as web services,
    or as simple as a Servlet that looks at some request parameters and 'prints'
    out the text response.)

    --
    Wendy S
    Wendy S, Jan 30, 2005
  6. John

    John Guest

    Thanks for all the replies.

    The idea behind my question was and is, to realise something like a
    singe-sign-on whithout a huge effort. But after re-thinking the answers
    it does not seem to be that easy. Maybe I will have to study some
    Portal definitions or the Java Portlet API or maybe there is a solution
    in using some directory services like JNDI or LDAP.

    Greets
    John
    John, Jan 31, 2005