Struts validation before form is displayed

Jack

Hello,
I'm currently having a problem with the Struts validator.
I have a very simple Struts bean "EditionPersonneForm" (extending
ValidatorForm) associated with an action "EditerPersonneAction" and a
JSP form "EditerPersonne.jsp"

[From struts-config.xml]
<action path="/EditionPersonne"

type="com.myproject.actions.EditerPersonneAction"
scope="session" name="EditerPersonneForm"
input="/pages/EditerPersonne.jsp"
parameter="do"
validate="true">
<forward name="afficherEditionPersonne"
path="/pages/EditionPersonne.jsp"/>
<forward name="afficherAjoutPersonne"
path="/pages/AjoutPersonne.jsp" />
</action>
[end of listing]

The matter is that the method validate() is called BEFORE the form is
displayed. So if the Struts bean is filled in with wrong values at this

very moment, the validator causes an error and Struts redirects me to
the "input" error page, and the action (which populates the form
with the right data) is never called !
I have another quite alike project where the validate is not called
before the JSP (to me it should be the normal behaviour), so I guess
this is a simple problem of configuration, but I just was not able to
find it.
Does anyone have a clue ?
Thanks in advance,
Olivier

Billy

Hi again
More details:
My problem seems to be related to the Struts Tiles (the main difference
between my project and the example is that one do use the Tiles plugin
while the other don't). I still can't figure out what's wrong (for I
didn't have the time to understand the Tiles very well yet, my new
project is a copy from the basic struts-blank). Am I right ? I am still
trying, but a little help would be welcome.
Cheers
Olivier

Wendy Smoak

Billy said:
My problem seems to be related to the Struts Tiles (the main difference
between my project and the example is that one do use the Tiles plugin
while the other don't). I still can't figure out what's wrong (for I
didn't have the time to understand the Tiles very well yet, my new
project is a copy from the basic struts-blank). Am I right ? I am still
trying, but a little help would be welcome.

The quickest way to get help is to post on the Struts Users mailing list:
http://struts.apache.org/mail.html

Ramza Brown

Jack said:
[...]

This is interesting.