Struts1.1, subclassing controller servlet

Sebastian Millies

Hi,

I'm using a subclass of the standard controller servlet class
in my Struts1.1 web app.

I have to include the commons digester library in my web app
to avoid a "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/commons/digester/RuleSet"
when loading the servlet.

This should be unnecessary - after all, the servlet declaration
in the web.xml file is telling Tomcat where to look for the class.
I must be overlooking something. How can I avoid
distributing the digester.jar with my application?

Thanks for a hint,
Sebastian

Murray

Sebastian Millies said:
Hi,

I'm using a subclass of the standard controller servlet class
in my Struts1.1 web app.

I have to include the commons digester library in my web app
to avoid a "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/commons/digester/RuleSet"
when loading the servlet.

This should be unnecessary - after all, the servlet declaration
in the web.xml file is telling Tomcat where to look for the class.
I must be overlooking something. How can I avoid
distributing the digester.jar with my application?

Thanks for a hint,
Sebastian

Struts requires Commons Digester to run. It uses it for parsing the XML
config files. Unless you've overridden the initialisation methods in your
subclass and are using something other than Digester, the package will still
be required. I was under the impression that most of the other commons jars
included with Struts were required if you want to use the full
functionality.