stuck in simple css formatting

saurabh9

Hi,
Soemhow I am not able to make this work.

I need to show a div block containing a message title, it's body, the
username and date
I need to show multiple such messages on the page, one under another
I need to show the username and date to the right of the message and
its title... so i tried putting down the css, but its just not
working.

Secondly, the page number on the bottom should be coming at the end
under the last message...currently its coming in the same row as the
message itself.

here is the html... can somebody please help me out on this?

<head>
<title> website</title>

..message {
width=50px;
text-align:center;
//color:#778899;
//background:#FFFFCC;
font-size:smaller;
border-bottom:1px solid #778899;
margin: 0 auto;
float:top;
}

#pagenumbers {
text-align:center;
}

..mcol1 {
width=50%;
float:left;
display: inline;
}
..mcol2 {
width=50%;
float:left;
display: inline;
}
</head>

other members" href="">VIEW </a></td>
by others" href="">VIEW </a></td>

p>

wraps.<br />
This is now a new paragraph to test line breaks.<br />
A new line AND a new para :) </div>

wraps.<br />
This is now a new paragraph to test line breaks.<br />
A new line AND a new para :) </div>

Els

saurabh9 said:
Hi,
Soemhow I am not able to make this work.

I need to show a div block containing a message title, it's body, the
username and date
I need to show multiple such messages on the page, one under another
I need to show the username and date to the right of the message and
its title... so i tried putting down the css, but its just not
working.

It doesn't need to be complicated. float the username and date right,
the message and title left. Use 'clear:both;' on each div block.
Secondly, the page number on the bottom should be coming at the end
under the last message...currently its coming in the same row as the
message itself.

Set clear:both; on that page number's element.
here is the html... can somebody please help me out on this?

The above answers I gave based on your question, I have not looked at
the HTML / CSS. If it doesn't help, post it somewhere online, where
people can see what you've got so far, and give the URL here.

dorayme

Els said:
It doesn't need to be complicated. float the username and date right,
the message and title left. Use 'clear:both;' on each div block.

Set clear:both; on that page number's element.

The above answers I gave based on your question, I have not looked at
the HTML / CSS. If it doesn't help, post it somewhere online, where
people can see what you've got so far, and give the URL here.

And OP should try to get the URL to validate as best as he can.

My editor says about OP's code:

8: Element “<style>†requires that the attribute “type†be specified.
46: URI attribute value for attribute “href†is empty.
48: URI attribute value for attribute “href†is empty.
56: Unknown or malformed close element: “</>â€.
56: Attribute values are not permitted in an element close tag.
59: Document type does not permit element “<div>†in content of element
“<p>â€.
73: Document type does not permit element “<div>†in content of element
“<p>â€.
86: Document type does not permit element “<div>†in content of element
“<p>â€.
55: Close tag for element “</p>†omitted but document type doesn't
permit it.

(I am fairly sure BBEdit gets the last wrong but the div in the p is
more serious)

And I notice in the styles there is stuff like:

..message {
width=50px;

OP needs to get basics right before doing anything at all re this
problem.

<http://www.htmldog.com/guides/htmlbeginner/>

Helpful person

[...]

Seems like an ideal situation for a table.

saurabh9

It doesn't need to be complicated. float the username and date right,
the message and title left. Use 'clear:both;' on each div block.

Set clear:both; on that page number's element.

The above answers I gave based on your question, I have not looked at
the HTML / CSS. If it doesn't help, post it somewhere online, where
people can see what you've got so far, and give the URL here.

Hi,
Actually my code was taken from the actual page, and hence perhaps a
few missing tags here and there. The URL is at
http://www.saurabhkumar.com/rac/xschool/member/viewmessages.php

Thanks to you, that most of the intended formatting works now.

Only question now, why is my border-bottom:1px solid #778899; not
working to create an underline below each message? Thanks.

Els

saurabh9 said:
Only question now, why is my border-bottom:1px solid #778899; not
working to create an underline below each message? Thanks.

It is working, only the bottom of each message is not where you think
it is. See that thick 3px line above the messages? that's 3 x the
bottom border, once for each message.
The problem is, that everything inside div.message is floated.
div.message is the parent element of the floated children elements,
and floated elements aren't seen by their parents. So, they "think"
they are empty, so they have no height.

For a good explanation and different solutions, look here:
http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/

Also, see Helpful person's reply to your initial post. It would not be
so bad using a table here I think.