study HMTL

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Simon Spencer, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. Just started studying HMTL at college, any advice on good web sites.
    Simon Spencer, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Davmagic .Com, Oct 12, 2004

  3. David Dorward, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Simon Spencer

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:32:58 GMT, Simon Spencer
    <> wrote:

    > Just started studying HMTL at college, any advice on good web sites.

    HTML, of course. Bookmark http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/ - you won't be
    able to get through it right away, it's a little dense. Once you get a
    feel for how HTML works it'll be less difficult to read. That's the
    official reference for HTML 4.01, so you can't do a whole lot better than
    that in terms of accurate information.

    In terms of a well-designed tutorial, I offer two recommendations.
    http://www.w3schools.com is good but I think some of the concepts aren't
    discussed as well as they ought to be. http://www.htmldog.com is good if
    you overlook the emphasis on XHTML, which I feel is not worth getting into
    at the beginner level, and not at this time at all unless you're in a
    rather unique situation where it actually offers benefit. Fortunately,
    HTML and XHTML work rather similarly, with only a few differences like
    having to write empty elements with a slash at the end. I know of a few
    errors in each, but overall they're good. They both stress a semantic
    approach to HTML, leaving style to CSS.

    Of course, I don't know how your instructor will teach HTML, but there's
    the chance (s)he will get some things messed up here and there too. Use
    the instructor's content as well as the online references I cited to get a
    feel for what's the best way to do a particular thing. Sometimes you might
    have to do something "wrong" to satisfy an assignment, sure, but get to
    know in your heart what's the best practice.

    Do read this newsgroup as well, also comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
    and other ciwa newsgroups, for tips, thoughts and the occasional wacky
    side-thread. These newsgroups are populated with individuals, amateurs and
    pros, with a variety of experiences and specialized expertise. And so long
    as you're not asking for an answer to a homework assignment, feel free to
    post questions you may have to the appropriate ng.
    Neal, Oct 12, 2004