Stumped w/ vague com exception error -- "Error 0x80004005 occurred."

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Bill Youngman, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. Not sure if this is the right forum but my searches on this error code seem
    to be pointing to a security issue. Here's what I have--

    I am trying to change a users password in my client's document management
    system through a .net web app that I am developing using C# and the core
    services api that is included with the system. It looks simple enough - make
    a call to the backend SQL 2000 database, open a connection and then make a
    call to user.changepassword(oldpwd, newpwd, confirmpwd) and bingo the
    password gets changed. As a matter of fact the sample ASP 3.0 script that is
    included with the SDK does just that - I run the script passing the user
    name along with the old password and the new password and everything works
    fine. Looked at the source code for the script and there is nothing fancy
    going on just some basic VBScript calls to open a database connection,
    change the password and then close the database connection.

    When I attempt to do the same thing in my .Net app I get the following error
    message information -

    System.Object:
    {System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException}
    _COMPlusExceptionCode: -532459699
    _HResult: -2147467259
    _message "Error 0x80004005 occurred."

    My development environment is-
    Windows 2000 SP4
    SQL Server 2000 SP3
    IIS 5.0

    Any and all help/suggestion will be appreciated.

    TIA,
    Bill Youngman

    Bill Youngman, Oct 11, 2005

  2. Figured it out.

    The company who developed the doc management system and API's also has a
    custom error viewer that one can use when debugging a program and it
    informed me that I was logging on to the backend database using the wrong
    user credentials (DOH!!! - it's always something simple). Once I fixed that
    issue everything worked fine.

    Bill Youngman, Oct 11, 2005