    Thanks in advance for any tips.

    --
    Mike McLaughlin
    Michael McLaughlin, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Michael McLaughlin

    Gabriel Reid Guest

    "Michael McLaughlin" <> wrote in message
    > Once a month, I run a (mostly perl) script that reads my all my
    > webserver log files and tallies hits to several webpages. However, I
    > have always wondered about the accuracy of these counts.
    >
    > Specifically, if a reader has been to a page before, has this page in
    > his browser cache and surfs to that URL, does the log still register
    > that hit with the usual status code (200)? Does it register it at all?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any tips.
    >
    > --
    > Mike McLaughlin

    This is a perl newsgroup, not a webserver newsgroup or HTTP newsgroup, and
    as such this post is quite off-topic.

    Additionally, the logging of requests in your webserver's logs are dependent
    upon which server you are using (you neglected to post that information),
    and how it is configured. However, in general an unmodified document that is
    in the browser cache will be logged as a 304, not a 200. It will be logged
    as a 200 if it is actually fetched from the server. For more information
    about this I suggest that you look at this document:
    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html

    Gabriel
    Gabriel Reid, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Michael McLaughlin

    J. Gleixner Guest

    Michael McLaughlin wrote:
    > Once a month, I run a (mostly perl) script that reads my all my
    > webserver log files and tallies hits to several webpages. However, I
    > have always wondered about the accuracy of these counts.
    >
    > Specifically, if a reader has been to a page before, has this page in
    > his browser cache and surfs to that URL, does the log still register
    > that hit with the usual status code (200)? Does it register it at all?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any tips.

    What does this have to do with perl? If you're curious, visit your site
    and watch your log to see if it logs it or not.
    J. Gleixner, Jul 22, 2003