    size - not the 1-7 numbers IE uses. I want to be able to set some text to be
    Font=Arial, Size=12pt.

    TIA - Jeffrey.

    UJ, Sep 30, 2005

  2. Jeffrey,

    Just put a regular old font tag around it.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Sep 30, 2005

  3. UJ

    Phillip Ian Guest

    You can use style sheet like settings in the style tag of most HTML
    elements.

    For instance..

    Phillip Ian, Sep 30, 2005
  4. Remember that font tags are on their way to deprecation.

    Using a CSS stylesheet is the way to go :

    <head>
    <link href="default.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    </head>

    And, in default.css :

    body
    {
    font-size: 0.8em;
    COLOR: #000000;
    FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    background-color: #EFEFEF;

    }

    ..txt1 { font-size : 1.0em; }
    ..txt2 { font-size : 0.9em; }
    ..txt3 { font-size : 0.8em; }
    ..txt4 { font-size : 0.7em; }
    ..txt5 { font-size : 0.6em; }

    ..txt1Bold { font-size : 1.0em; font-weight:bold; }
    ..txt2Bold { font-size : 0.9em; font-weight:bold; }
    ..txt3Bold { font-size : 0.8em; font-weight:bold; }
    ..txt4Bold { font-size : 0.7em; font-weight:bold; }
    ..txt5Bold { font-size : 0.6em; font-weight:bold; }

    ..txt3red { font-size : 0.8em; color: Red; }

    etc...

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 30, 2005
  5. Yes,

    I'd normally agree. But he specifically said he didn't want to use a style
    sheet...

    I therefore thought he wanted to do it without styles at all.

    Plus, while I realize that font tags are being deprecated it will be a very
    long time before all browsers don't include that backward compatability.
    That said I probably should have included a "disclaimer" of a sort that said
    I don't recommend using font tags. Thanks for pointing that out Juan.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Sep 30, 2005
  6. UJ

    Mr Newbie Guest

    I dont think you need a disclaimer. Your post was accurate because as you
    correctly point out that he was specific about not using Style Sheets.

    Mr N

    Mr Newbie, Sep 30, 2005
  7. When someone makes a demand for a requisite which goes against
    current, or soon to change, standards, it's our duty to inform the poster
    of the inadvisability of the path the poster intends to take.

    Just because someone specifies that he doesn't want to use
    stylesheets when, in fact, stylesheets are the standard to go with,
    doesn't relieve us of the duty to make the best recommendation.

    Anything else could be referred to as a "bad hack" recommendation.

    The solution pointed out by Justin *does* work, btw,
    and will work for some time yet, although VS.NET
    will complain about it each and every time.

    It just depends on how punctilious you want to be... ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 30, 2005
  8. UJ

    Mr Newbie Guest

    'Punctilious' would be an accurate adjective to describe your contributions.
    And although this is an admirable quality, I think sometimes people in this
    and other similar newsgroups, are overly zealous in this respect; this can
    lead to point scoring, and in some cases I've seen it also lead to arguments
    and hurt feelings in the less robust contributors.

    The point of my reply was only to backup the author of the reply to the
    effect that his post was both accurate and reflected exactly what the OP
    asked for, and not to rubbish your contribution in any way. This is the
    second time you have demonstrated your sensitivity to what you obviously see
    as criticism.

    From what I have seen of your posts so far, I have always felt that you
    present a cogent argument and are most helpful. It's fine in my opinion to
    go the extra mile to answer a question, but I think to call it a duty is
    probably a little over the top.

    Just chill out a bit ;-)

    Regards - Mr N

    Mr Newbie, Sep 30, 2005
  9. re:
    > This is the second time you have demonstrated your sensitivity to what you obviously see
    > as criticism.

    I didn't see it that way.

    You did ?

    If so, I don't know how else to mark my posts
    so that such an interpretation is not possible.

    I don't know. I just write in reaction to what I read.
    I assume people here know that the intention is a good one.

    re:
    >The point of my reply was only to backup the author of the reply to the effect that his
    >post was both accurate and reflected exactly what the OP asked for, and not to rubbish
    >your contribution in any way.

    I didn't interpret your post to mean that you thought
    my contribution was deserving of being "rubbished".

    Why would you believe that ?

    re:
    > reflected exactly what the OP asked for

    I consider it *my* duty to set the OP straight if his request
    overflows the bounds of good programming practices.

    I understand if you want to go with the flow of a request, though.

    re:
    > I think to call it a duty is probably a little over the top.

    For you it might be a little over the top. For an MVP it's not.

    re:
    > Just chill out a bit ;-)

    Sure, if you'll do that, too ... ;-)

    Sorry if I perturbed you. I sure didn't mean to.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 30, 2005
  10. UJ

    Mr Newbie Guest

    > For you it might be a little over the top. For an MVP it's not.

    Ahh!, yes, I forgot I wasnt one of them, thanks for pointing out my low
    class status.

    Keep up the good work !

    Mr N

    Mr Newbie, Sep 30, 2005
  11. UJ

    Joel Aufgang Guest

    What is all the hullabalo about this simple question?

    You can use CSS styles on any tag without actually setting up a seperate
    CSS sheet. Just use the style attribute to specify the style inline. That
    way you avoid using the deprecated font tag and dont have to deal with
    having a seperate .css file.

    This is elementary HTML people.

    Joel Aufgang, Sep 30, 2005
  12. re:
    > Ahh!, yes, I forgot I wasnt one of them

    From what I've seen of your posts, if you maintained a high level
    of involvement here for at least a full year, you could very easily
    become an MVP, but you'd have to drop your "Mr. Newbie" signature.

    re:
    > thanks for pointing out my low class status.

    You can consider yourself to be anything you want to consider yourself as.
    That doesn't mean that *I* consider that you are "low class".

    My comment has *zero* reflection on "class status".
    Why would you believe that it does ?

    MVPs *normally* hold themselves to a higher standard
    that the average poster in the newsgroups.

    We have to do that, because any slacking
    down of those standards opens a can of worms.

    That's par for the course, and that attitude
    has no implications about any other peer here.

    Your wise advice to "chill out" should be good for you,
    too, but if you want to flame me further, go ahead,
    but I won't respond any more, if your reply is another flame.

    OTOH, if you have any kind of question for which I can give you
    a good pointer to an answer which involves the best possible
    programming standards, just post it.

    I may, or may not, be able to help you, but if I post an answer you can
    be assured that it will reflect the highest possible programming standards
    which I have learned, even if you think that pointing out those standards,
    somehow, makes you feel "low class".

    That is not my problem. It's yours.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 30, 2005
  13. re:
    > What is all the hullabalo about this simple question?

    I don't know what all the hullaballoo is about, either.
    You are absolutely right and I am right, too.

    I do think, however, that using a stylesheet is vastly preferrable
    to including inline style code in each and every page,
    increasing the load factor for the server.

    *That* is why separate stylesheets are recommended.

    I don't think Justin has a problem with that, either.
    Justin's reply was very precise, and very correct, too.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 30, 2005
  14. UJ

    Mr Newbie Guest

    This is exactly what I mean. I meant to be tongue in cheek, yet you have
    taken it to be deadly serious.

    Let me end this now by just saying that I am sure you are very professional,
    I have no axe to grind, and that my posts are in essence light hearted.

    I perhaps should remember that plain text does not always convey the true
    spirit in which a note is written, and therefore I should take more care
    when making my replies, be more serious and use emoticons and more upbeat
    phrasing.

    If I have offended you then I apologise. I have posted a question on
    ErrorPage attributes, perhaps you could help me with this, as I am sure I
    have done something really stupid but cant see it.

    Thanks and Regards Mr N.

    Mr Newbie, Sep 30, 2005
  15. re:
    > plain text does not always convey the true spirit in which a note is written

    That is so true.

    re:
    >use emoticons

    Sometimes they help... ;-)

    re:
    > If I have offended you then I apologise.

    You have nothing to apologize for.
    You did not offend me, and I certainly hope I didn't offend you.

    I only wondered what had I done.
    I understand better what went down now.

    Let's move forward, OK ? No harm done, I hope.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 30, 2005