Styling <div> elements using display: inline-table

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Evertjan., Apr 9, 2009.

  1. Evertjan.

    Evertjan. Guest

    K Viltersten wrote on 09 apr 2009 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > It seems that FF understands what to do
    > and puts the <div>'s i'm giving to it on
    > one row (instead of vertically). However,
    > IE appears not to be equally talented and
    > fails to acheive the nice layout of FF.
    >
    > What can i do about it?

    Perhaps ask in a CSS NG?

    [Or show us your Javascript code?]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    K Viltersten, Apr 9, 2009

  3. Martin Honnen, Apr 9, 2009
  4. Evertjan.

    K Viltersten Guest

    >> It seems that FF understands what to do
    >> and puts the <div>'s i'm giving to it on
    >> one row (instead of vertically). However,
    >> IE appears not to be equally talented and
    >> fails to acheive the nice layout of FF.
    >>
    >> What can i do about it?

    > Perhaps ask in a CSS NG?

    I was informed that since there's no
    strictly CSS oriented group on my news
    server, i should go with JS, as people
    using the one, often tend to be
    knowledgeable in the other.

    Perhaps a mistake. Sorry.

    --
    Regards
    K Viltersten
    K Viltersten, Apr 9, 2009
  5. Evertjan.

    K Viltersten Guest

    >> It seems that FF understands what to do
    >> and puts the <div>'s i'm giving to it on
    >> one row (instead of vertically). However,
    >> IE appears not to be equally talented and
    >> fails to acheive the nice layout of FF.
    >>
    >> What can i do about it?

    > If you want inline-table support then use IE 8:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms530751(VS.85).aspx

    Oh, that bad? I was expecting IE7- to be more
    able than that... Thanks for the answer!

    --
    Regards
    K Viltersten
    K Viltersten, Apr 9, 2009
  6. Evertjan.

    Thomas Allen Guest

    On Apr 9, 11:56 am, "K Viltersten" <> wrote:
    > >> It seems that FF understands what to do
    > >> and puts the <div>'s i'm giving to it on
    > >> one row (instead of vertically). However,
    > >> IE appears not to be equally talented and
    > >> fails to acheive the nice layout of FF.

    > >> What can i do about it?

    > > Perhaps ask in a CSS NG?

    > I was informed that since there's no
    > strictly CSS oriented group on my news
    > server, i should go with JS, as people
    > using the one, often tend to be
    > knowledgeable in the other.
    >
    > Perhaps a mistake. Sorry.

    I run a nice little CSS forum; please email me if you'd like a link to
    it. I'd rather not have certain people here posting inflammatory
    remarks on it (no offense).

    Thomas
    Thomas Allen, Apr 9, 2009
  7. Evertjan.

    Evertjan. Guest

    K Viltersten wrote on 09 apr 2009 in comp.lang.javascript:

    >>> It seems that FF understands what to do
    >>> and puts the <div>'s i'm giving to it on
    >>> one row (instead of vertically). However,
    >>> IE appears not to be equally talented and
    >>> fails to acheive the nice layout of FF.
    >>>
    >>> What can i do about it?

    >> Perhaps ask in a CSS NG?

    > I was informed that since there's no
    > strictly CSS oriented group on my news
    > server, i should go with JS, as people
    > using the one, often tend to be
    > knowledgeable in the other.
    >
    > Perhaps a mistake. Sorry.

    Not only perhaps, NG's need to be specific.

    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets
    is a good choice.

    If your news server does not have that NG,
    you could ask themto carry that NG
    or use another news server.

    --
    Evertjan.