Stylized text with absolute values vs. relative values and scalability on a Mac

robbiehenry

I built my company's website and the content portion of the site uses
text with styles with relative values and the navigational part of the
site uses text with styles with absolute values. The purpose of this
was so that the end user could increase the size of the text on the
webpage and only the content portion of the page would scale or resize
but the navigation would not. This works as expected on a pc but the
entire page scales on a MAC. Does MAC not support text with styles the
same as pc so that the only scalable text is that with relative values
(ie: small, x-small, medium, large, etc)? Absolute values conist of
point sized text.

Here is a page sample:
http://www.otpp.com/web/website.nsf/web/companyprofile

All help and insite is appreciated.

McKirahan

I built my company's website and the content portion of the site uses
text with styles with relative values and the navigational part of the
site uses text with styles with absolute values. The purpose of this
was so that the end user could increase the size of the text on the
webpage and only the content portion of the page would scale or resize
but the navigation would not. This works as expected on a pc but the
entire page scales on a MAC. Does MAC not support text with styles the
same as pc so that the only scalable text is that with relative values
(ie: small, x-small, medium, large, etc)? Absolute values conist of
point sized text.

Here is a page sample:
http://www.otpp.com/web/website.nsf/web/companyprofile

All help and insite is appreciated.

FYI...

Navigating your site requires JavaScript.
Not all of your visitors will have it enabled.
Though one could use the "Site Map" page.

Your "Site Map" page looks funny when JS is disabled as
the following is visible above the "Print this page" image:

onmouseover="document.print.src=printon.src"
onmouseout="document.print.src=printoff.src">

RobG

I built my company's website and the content portion of the site uses
text with styles with relative values and the navigational part of the
site uses text with styles with absolute values. The purpose of this
was so that the end user could increase the size of the text on the
webpage and only the content portion of the page would scale or resize
but the navigation would not. This works as expected on a pc but the
entire page scales on a MAC. Does MAC not support text with styles the
same as pc so that the only scalable text is that with relative values
(ie: small, x-small, medium, large, etc)? Absolute values conist of
point sized text.

Here is a page sample:
http://www.otpp.com/web/website.nsf/web/companyprofile

All help and insite is appreciated.

What does this have to do with JavaScript? Seems you'd be better off
asking the question in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html or
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets.

Which browser on Mac OS are you talking about, there are lots of them -
IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox, Camino, OmniWeb, iCab, and oh, Safari too.

For the record, all your text scales in Firefox on Windows too when the
browser controls are used to increase the text size, so what is 'works
as expected on a pc'?

Before you post in one of the other groups, you had better get your page
to validate, it generates nearly 100 errors. Don't use XHTML style
markup in HTML transitional - better yet, move to HTML 4 strict.