Sub Dir, Virtual dir, what do I use?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?UnVkeQ==?=, Jun 12, 2005.

  1. Hello All!
    Been struggling with this for a few days. Taken many diffrent approches,
    but now I'm at the point I just need it to work. Everything I tried doesn't
    work, I'm sure it has something to do with my lack of understanding. So if
    anybody can give me a solution or some good articles to get me on the right
    track, that would be great!!!

    So I have a web app that I created. I alos have 2 more web aps that I
    bought. One is a forums web application, the other is a chat. Forums in in
    VB.net, the language I used for mine. The chat app is in C#.net. On my
    developer machine, I'm using IIS 5 and kept all three app in virtual
    directories. I am using Form authentication, and have a redirect to
    Welcomefrm.aspx if the user tries to navigate without loging in.

    <authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms name=".myCookie" loginUrl="Welcomefrm.aspx" protection="All"
    path="/" />
    </authentication>

    Everthiing on my developer works fine.
    Now I bring it out to my web server, IIS 6 WK2003. Like I said I have tried
    many diffrent things, far too many to mention. I do have my main web app set
    as a web site. So, I would like to know, how would you set this up. Set the
    other two up as a virtual dir, or a sub directory. Can I leave the web and
    global files intact with the other two apps? Should I set them up a seperate
    web sites. I only have one IP address to work with, and would like to keep
    all as one site.

    I'm not going to mention the problems, they all been diffrent, and I would
    like to start from ground zero. I have removed any sub or virtual
    directories. I have two buttons on my web app to connect me into the login
    page of the othe two apps.

    Like I said, on the developing machine, it works great. I'm almost tempted
    to trash the web server, and reload server 2000 on it. I know it's an easy
    task, I'm just going mad from trying to find out the right steps to take.

    Thanks to all!

    Rudy

    =?Utf-8?B?UnVkeQ==?=, Jun 12, 2005