    If I have a regular host and creat a sub-demain, is it possible to
    have the sub-domain resolved the the regular name ie;
    www.yahoo.mydomain.com to www.yahoo.com?

    Hoopster, Jul 29, 2006

  2. Hoopster

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Hoopster wrote:

    > If I have a regular host and creat a sub-demain, is it possible to
    > have the sub-domain resolved the the regular name ie;
    > www.yahoo.mydomain.com to www.yahoo.com?

    I have my own 2 domains that I use on the servers provided by my web
    host. Since I have my own domains, I can use www.cwdjr.net or
    www.cwdjr.info. Many hosts also will let you use one of their own
    domains so that you can avoid buying or renting a domain name. A few
    hosts can provide free domain names and a few do not allow you to use
    your own domain. The host domain name might be www.host.com. However,
    since many people can use the host domain, you must add something so
    the server will know what belongs to what. The standard way to do this
    is to give each user a unique subdomain name . Perhaps the user is Joe.
    Then he might use Joe as the subdomain, and this is written to the left
    of host such as www.Joe.host.com . The only way you could use something
    like www.Joe.com would be to buy or rent a domain. Below is how the
    instructions at my host explain how to add subdomains to my domains
    should I so wish.

    A subdomain is a lower level domain. It is added on the left of the
    domain name, e.g. subdomain.example.com. You can create as many
    subdomains as allowed by the plan. Domains and subdomains have equal
    functional capabilities, including web site management, e-mail service,
    FTP, dedicated IPs, etc., but subdomains do not have their own DNS
    zones and usually cost less.

    To create a subdomain, go through the following steps:

    * Click the Domains icon to go to your domain settings page.
    * Select the domain if you have more than one.
    * Click Add in the Sub Domains field.
    * You will be asked to enter the subdomain name:

    Enter the new subdomain. It will be displayed in the Subdomain field of
    the Domain Settings page.

    cwdjrxyz, Jul 29, 2006

  3. Hoopster

    jojo Guest

    Hoopster wrote:

    > Forgive me for being a NOOB.

    Already done.

    > If I have a regular host and creat a sub-demain, is it possible to
    > have the sub-domain resolved the the regular name ie;
    > www.yahoo.mydomain.com to www.yahoo.com?

    If you rent the domain www.mydomain.com that's possible. Just use
    ..htaccess files to configure your server the way you want. Google for
    ..htaccess + mod_rewrite for further information.
    But this is only possible if:
    -Your site is on an Apache server
    -You have the right to use .htaccess files
    -You are allowed to create subdomains

    HTH,
    jojo

    jojo, Jul 29, 2006
  4. Hoopster

    David Segall Guest

    Hoopster <> wrote:

    >Forgive me for being a NOOB.
    >

    >If I have a regular host and creat a sub-demain, is it possible to
    >have the sub-domain resolved the the regular name ie;
    >www.yahoo.mydomain.com to www.yahoo.com?

    Your domain manager may allow you to do that. Certainly ZoneEdit
    <http://www.zoneedit.com/> permits you to "web forward" any subdomain
    of a domain they are managing for you, to anywhere you specify.

    David Segall, Jul 29, 2006
  5. Hoopster

    Dan Guest

    Hoopster wrote:
    > If I have a regular host and creat a sub-demain, is it possible to
    > have the sub-domain resolved the the regular name ie;
    > www.yahoo.mydomain.com to www.yahoo.com?

    Sure, if your hosting provider makes this functionality available, you
    can set up server redirects (e.g., with Apache .htaccess files or
    through your host's control panel) to make your subdomain addresses
    redirect to any other Web site you want, whether it's the parent domain
    of the subdomain or a third-party site. You do realize, however, that
    "www.yahoo.mydomain.com" is not a subdomain of "www.yahoo.com"; those
    are totally different domains with no relationship. In
    "www.yahoo.mydomain.com", the fourth level domain is "www", which is a
    subdomain of the third level domain "yahoo", which is a subdomain of
    the second level domain "mydomain", which is a subdomain of the top
    level domain "com". On the other hand, in "www.yahoo.com", "www" is a
    subdomain of "yahoo" which is a subdomain of "com", so the only
    commonality is that they are both in the ".com" TLD.

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Jul 29, 2006