sub domains offered by host

dalerguy_home

Hi,

seeking advice...

doing a web site for construcion company xyz. They have lots of land for
sale that they want to promote. However in my first discussions with these
people I realized that the company doesn't have a web site yet. But I was
hired to design a site promoting the land abc_estabes. They wanted
www.abc_estates.com.

Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the company to have a website
www.xyz.com with a sub domain /abc_estates killing two birds with one
stone, as they say.

i.e. www.xyz.com/abc_estates/

My thought first of all was, they only need to register one domain, b/c the
host I plan to use allows for multiple sub domains.

Having said that, using sub domains, will that affect searching of the site
via search engines.

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Mike

Titus A Ducksass AKA Lou Simon (Just for Gran) Luc

[...]

In my experience the sub domain goes before the main domain:
www.xyz.com
aaa.xyz.com
someland.xyz.com
main.xyz.com
others.xyz.com
etc
and yes it makes more sense to me.

Richard

dalerguy_home said:
[...]

A subdomain will act and behave as a full domain does.
Totally independent of the main domain.
it would make more sense to go with abc_estates.xyz.com than as a directory
listing.
That way, if you wanted to have two different looks, you can do so easier.

Kurt Weber

dalerguy_home said:
doing a web site for construcion company xyz. They have lots of land for
sale that they want to promote. However in my first discussions with these
people I realized that the company doesn't have a web site yet. But I was
hired to design a site promoting the land abc_estabes. They wanted
www.abc_estates.com.

Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the company to have a website
www.xyz.com with a sub domain /abc_estates killing two birds with one
stone, as they say.

i.e. www.xyz.com/abc_estates/

That is called a "directory", not a "subdomain". But yes, it would
definitely be cheaper--of course, it's the customer's decision, although
there's nothing wrong with offering a little advice.

Kurt Weber
(e-mail address removed)

Kim André Akerø

dalerguy_home said:
Hi,
Hi.

seeking advice...

No problem with that. As long as you avoid the question "may I ask a
question?" (in which case you already would've asked a question), you'll do
just fine.
doing a web site for construcion company xyz. They have lots of land for
sale that they want to promote. However in my first discussions with these
people I realized that the company doesn't have a web site yet. But I was
hired to design a site promoting the land abc_estabes. They wanted
www.abc_estates.com.

Keep in mind that underscore (_) is not a valid character in domain names.
Only letters (a-z), numbers (0-9) and dashes (-) are allowed in domain
names. File and directory names (typed after the server name) aren't bound
by those rules, but it's generally best to
Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the company to have a website
www.xyz.com with a sub domain /abc_estates killing two birds with one
stone, as they say.

i.e. www.xyz.com/abc_estates/

Let's get your terms straight. A subdomain is a domain that is below a
regular domain name, such as abc-estates.xyz.com (where, in this case, the
regular domain is xyz.com). A subdirectory, however, is what you're
describing here.

And for a company to have their website at www.xyz.com/abc_estates can't
hurt your client's business. Neither will having just the domain name. A
perfect example is the website for, say, Microsoft UK:

http://www.microsoft.co.uk/ will just redirect to:
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/

They have a similar setup for all the other localized versions for each of
their worldwide offices (Brazil, India, Norway, etc.)
My thought first of all was, they only need to register one domain, b/c the
host I plan to use allows for multiple sub domains.

If you're allowed to set up domains that point to a different directory
within your account, that is one option. You can also choose to forward the
domain, which means that when someone types in the secondary URL for your
client's website (www.abc-estates.com), it will automatically redirect to
the real location for that website (www.xyz.com/abc_estates).

Web redirection is provided for free by many registrars, like
www.godaddy.com and www.mydomain.com.
Having said that, using sub domains, will that affect searching of the site
via search engines.

None whatsoever. You should be aware that the search engines might consider
the two sites to be completely seperate.
Any advice would be much appreciated...

Always happy to help wherever I can.

Augustus

dalerguy_home said:
doing a web site for construcion company xyz. They have lots of land for
sale that they want to promote. However in my first discussions with these
people I realized that the company doesn't have a web site yet. But I was
hired to design a site promoting the land abc_estabes. They wanted
www.abc_estates.com.

Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the company to have a website
www.xyz.com with a sub domain /abc_estates killing two birds with one
stone, as they say.

i.e. www.xyz.com/abc_estates/

My thought first of all was, they only need to register one domain, b/c the
host I plan to use allows for multiple sub domains.

The company in question might have no interest whatsoever in promoting
themselves on the net at this time and instead want to concentrate on what
they make money with, the sale of real estate

I've worked with real estate and development companies in the past where the
company itself had either an old/out of date website or none at all... but
each time they were opening up a new building (either residential or office
space) they would have a custom website built for the building... not as
part of their own site, but with its own url, own look and feel, etc

For the company, they might have their own ideas of marketing and promoting
the site. In this case odds are they aren't going to care too much about
the whole attacting people from search engines through the internet...
instead going after print media, tv, radio, business cards, etc... If that
is the case then a subdomain or a / followed by something can confuse the
average user... especially in the case of radio advertising

As far as the domain name goes and the whole "they only need to register one
domain" goes... if you ever encounter a company where the cost to register a
domain name is an issue then you should drop them as a client and run away
as fast as you can

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

dalerguy_home said:
Hi,

seeking advice...

doing a web site for construcion company xyz. They have lots of land for
sale that they want to promote. However in my first discussions with these
people I realized that the company doesn't have a web site yet. But I was
hired to design a site promoting the land abc_estabes. They wanted
www.abc_estates.com.

Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the company to have a website
www.xyz.com with a sub domain /abc_estates killing two birds with one
stone, as they say.

i.e. www.xyz.com/abc_estates/

well that's a directory, not a sub domain.

a subdomain would be http://subdomain.domain.com

IT's usually set up by the hosting company and is effectively cloaking a
read directory. for example, on my site, "subdomain1.domain.com" would
point to "www.domain.com/subdomain1" but the user only types int he
first one, not the second.

If that makes sense?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=define:subdomain&btnG=Google+Search

dp

dalerguy_home said:
[...]

It really depends upon their business plan. There are many valid reasons why
a DBA (Doing Business As) name may wish to be separated in the mind of the
public from the registered company. They may be planning on spinning off the
development project as a separate company. Your website could be part of a
plan to demonstrate solidity to potential investors/partners as much as a
lure to buyers.
dp