submit form data in multiple buttons on a html form

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Matt, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    The problem is I have 3 buttons that need to submit the form to different
    URL.
    My approach is to declare <input type="submit"> rather than <input
    type="button">.
    And put the following in the JavaScript:
    InputForm.action="URL LOCATION"
    InputForm.method="POST";

    I think we don't need InputForm.submit(); because <input type="submit">.

    Please advise and comment my approaches. Thanks!!

    <head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function onClickURL1()
    { InputForm.action="url1.asp"
    InputForm.method="POST";
    //InputForm.submit(); //NOT NECESSARY!! because of input type="submit"??
    }
    function onClickURL2()
    { InputForm.action="url2.asp"
    InputForm.method="POST";
    //InputForm.submit(); //NOT NECESSARY!! because of input type="submit"??
    }
    function onClickURL3()
    { InputForm.action="url3.asp"
    InputForm.method="POST";
    //InputForm.submit(); //NOT NECESSARY!! because of input type="submit"??
    }
    </script>
    </head>
    <form name="InputForm">
    <P><input type="text" name="username">
    <P><INPUT type="submit" value="submit form data to URL1" name="action1"
    onclick="onClickURL1()">
    <P><INPUT type="submit" value="submit form data to URL2" name="action2"
    onclick="onClickURL2()">
    <P><INPUT type="submit" value="submit form data to URL3" name="action3"
    onclick="onClickURL3()">
    </form>
    Matt, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Matt wrote:
    > The problem is I have 3 buttons that need to submit the form to different
    > URL.

    Use 3 forms with different "action" attribute values. Use CSS to
    format them display:inline to prevent the "form" element from creating
    a paragraph.

    > My approach is to declare <input type="submit"> rather than <input
    > type="button">.

    That is not a declaration of anything at all.

    > And put the following in the JavaScript:
    > InputForm.action="URL LOCATION"
    > InputForm.method="POST";

    This is proprietary referencing. Use document.forms["InputForm"]...
    instead.

    > I think we don't need InputForm.submit(); because <input type="submit">.
    >
    > Please advise and comment my approaches. Thanks!!

    This document lacks a DOCTYPE declaration prior to the root element and
    is thus not Valid HTML. See <http://validator.w3.org/> for details.

    > <head>
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > function onClickURL1()
    > { InputForm.action="url1.asp"
    > InputForm.method="POST";
    > //InputForm.submit(); //NOT NECESSARY!! because of input type="submit"??
    > }

    Have you ever thought about users without client-side scripting support?

    > [...]
    > <form name="InputForm">
    > <P><input type="text" name="username">
    > <P><INPUT type="submit" value="submit form data to URL1" name="action1"
    > onclick="onClickURL1()">

    Timing issues are likely to cause this to fail. Use either
    type="button" instead or, much better, do not use client-side
    scripting at all.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jul 5, 2004