    submit that form via URL as opposed to submitting via the form button? What
    would be the syntax?

    thanks
    Shank, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Shank wrote:

    > Assuming you know the name of the form on any given page, it is
    > possible to submit that form via URL as opposed to submitting via the
    > form button? What would be the syntax?

    IMO, that's what a submit button is there for (<input type="submit"
    />). The only other way to do it, would be by a JavaScript method, but
    this won't work if JavaScript is disabled or unavailable at the browser.

    One method is described here:
    http://www.javascript-coder.com/javascript-form/javascript-form-submit.p
    html

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Dec 6, 2005

  3. Shank

    Guest

    , Dec 6, 2005
  4. Shank

    Shank Guest

    "Kim André Akerø" <> wrote in message
    > Shank wrote:
    >
    >> Assuming you know the name of the form on any given page, it is
    >> possible to submit that form via URL as opposed to submitting via the
    >> form button? What would be the syntax?

    > IMO, that's what a submit button is there for (<input type="submit"
    > />). The only other way to do it, would be by a JavaScript method, but
    > this won't work if JavaScript is disabled or unavailable at the browser.
    >
    > One method is described here:
    > http://www.javascript-coder.com/javascript-form/javascript-form-submit.p
    > html
    >
    > --
    > Kim André Akerø
    > -
    > (remove NOSPAM to contact me directly)

    I would not have access to the code or page design in any way. I'm trying to
    design a macro that would submit a form on someone else's site. Tabbing is
    not always reliable. I thought that I could simulate a submit via the URL
    like: test.asp?formname=login&submit=1
    Anyway, that's what I was hoping...
    thanks!
    Shank, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Shank

    Ken Sims Guest

    Hi Shank -

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:22:48 GMT, "Shank" <>
    wrote:

    >I would not have access to the code or page design in any way. I'm trying to
    >design a macro that would submit a form on someone else's site. Tabbing is
    >not always reliable. I thought that I could simulate a submit via the URL
    >like: test.asp?formname=login&submit=1

    That will work if test.asp has GET processing (where the parameters
    are passed in the URL). If test.asp only has POST processing (where
    the parameters are passed in the HTTP headers), then it can't be done
    with just a URL.

    --
    Ken
    http://www.ke9nr.net/
    Ken Sims, Dec 6, 2005
  6. Shank wrote:

    > I would not have access to the code or page design in any way. I'm
    > trying to design a macro that would submit a form on someone else's
    > site.

    Ok, now you have piqued my curiosity. Why ... do you want to use a
    "macro" to submit a form on someone else's site?

    Sounds nefarious. Like spamming .. or mailbombing the owner ..

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 6, 2005
  7. Shank

    Shank Guest

    > Shank wrote:
    >
    >> I would not have access to the code or page design in any way. I'm
    >> trying to design a macro that would submit a form on someone else's
    >> site.

    > Ok, now you have piqued my curiosity. Why ... do you want to use a
    > "macro" to submit a form on someone else's site?
    >
    > Sounds nefarious. Like spamming .. or mailbombing the owner ..
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    poppycock! Not even close to anything like that. Because it's not possible,
    no sense in discussing.
    thanks
    Shank, Dec 7, 2005
  8. Shank wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    > message news:x4mz96op7ey5.7ejmwfl46jb5$...
    > > Shank wrote:
    > >
    > > > I would not have access to the code or page design in any way. I'm
    > > > trying to design a macro that would submit a form on someone
    > > > else's site.

    > > Ok, now you have piqued my curiosity. Why ... do you want to use a
    > > "macro" to submit a form on someone else's site?
    > >
    > > Sounds nefarious. Like spamming .. or mailbombing the owner ..

    > poppycock! Not even close to anything like that. Because it's not
    > possible, no sense in discussing. thanks

    It IS possible. In fact, I'm even doing that as we speak to someone to
    sent me a scam mail. In Norwegian, mind you! (My native tongue!)

    So I decided I'd send an invoice to the company who sent me the scam
    mail for services done on the site "as part of your job request" (page
    testing, validation, that sort of thing). I didn't get as far as
    putting stamps on the envelope when I found several news articles (from
    reliable news sources), describing these people as scammers (as their
    so-called address was pointing to a nonexistant mail box at an
    apartment building - they did try to ring every doorbell in that
    building, without a trace of the company).

    By taking a quick look at their order form, I found it to be insecure
    enough for me to write a quick Perl script that generates a random
    e-mail address (of the example.com domain-type) and processes the order
    form with a blank order, invalid credit card (I believe I set it to
    "1234567890123456"). This script is run on a cron job (scheduled task)
    every minute, from 4 different Linux computers. That makes 4 invalid
    orders a minute, 60 times per hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I
    can only imagine the face of the bastard who has to sift through over
    5760 e-mails to find that 99.9% of them are completely bogus.

    Serves them right to try to mess with me.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Dec 7, 2005
  9. Shank wrote:

    >> Shank wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would not have access to the code or page design in any way. I'm
    >>> trying to design a macro that would submit a form on someone else's
    >>> site.

    >> Ok, now you have piqued my curiosity. Why ... do you want to use a
    >> "macro" to submit a form on someone else's site?
    >>
    >> Sounds nefarious. Like spamming .. or mailbombing the owner ..

    > poppycock! Not even close to anything like that. Because it's not possible,
    > no sense in discussing.

    Since Kim has explained that it is certainly possible, and since you
    didn't volunteer any information as to the (other) reason you want to
    remotely submit someone else's form, we will have to deduce that your
    intentions are indeed nefarious.

    Unless of course you reply and give a reasonable explanation.

    > thanks

    You're welcome.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 7, 2005
  10. Shank

    > Shank wrote:
    >

    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    >> message news:x4mz96op7ey5.7ejmwfl46jb5$...

    >> > Ok, now you have piqued my curiosity. Why ... do you want to use a
    >> > "macro" to submit a form on someone else's site?
    >> >
    >> > Sounds nefarious. Like spamming .. or mailbombing the owner ..

    >> poppycock! Not even close to anything like that. Because it's not
    >> possible, no sense in discussing. thanks

    > It IS possible. In fact, I'm even doing that as we speak to someone to
    > sent me a scam mail. In Norwegian, mind you! (My native tongue!)
    >
    > So I decided I'd send an invoice to the company who sent me the scam
    > mail for services done on the site "as part of your job request" (page
    > testing, validation, that sort of thing). I didn't get as far as
    > putting stamps on the envelope when I found several news articles (from
    > reliable news sources), describing these people as scammers (as their
    > so-called address was pointing to a nonexistant mail box at an
    > apartment building - they did try to ring every doorbell in that
    > building, without a trace of the company).
    >
    > By taking a quick look at their order form, I found it to be insecure
    > enough for me to write a quick Perl script that generates a random
    > e-mail address (of the example.com domain-type) and processes the order
    > form with a blank order, invalid credit card (I believe I set it to
    > "1234567890123456"). This script is run on a cron job (scheduled task)
    > every minute, from 4 different Linux computers. That makes 4 invalid
    > orders a minute, 60 times per hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I
    > can only imagine the face of the bastard who has to sift through over
    > 5760 e-mails to find that 99.9% of them are completely bogus.
    >
    > Serves them right to try to mess with me.
    >
    > --
    > Kim André Akerø
    > -
    > (remove NOSPAM to contact me directly)

    >>Serves them right to try to mess with me<<

    <LOL> OK... for all that, I can explain a bit more. I am part of a
    membership that must actively participate in a website every week. Because I
    don't have the time, I've written a macro that interacts with the website as
    needed. However, on the login page, I can tab to the submit button and issue
    and <enter> key. For whatever reason, this does not work about 20% of the
    time. I don't know why. I just thought if I hard-coded a URL, it would solve
    the problem.
    Thanks!
    Shank, Dec 7, 2005
  11. Shank

    Shank Guest

    > Since Kim has explained that it is certainly possible, and since you
    > didn't volunteer any information as to the (other) reason you want to
    > remotely submit someone else's form, we will have to deduce that your
    > intentions are indeed nefarious.
    >
    > Unless of course you reply and give a reasonable explanation.
    >
    >> thanks

    You are right. I sent this right after Kim's post, but it did not get
    posted. Trying again...

    Shank, Dec 7, 2005

    ?

    > <LOL> OK... for all that, I can explain a bit more. I am part of a
    > membership that must actively participate in a website every week.

    Oh, ok then. It's only slightly nefarious. :)

    > Because I don't have the time, I've written a macro that interacts
    > with the website as needed. However, on the login page, I can tab to
    > the submit button and issue and <enter> key. For whatever reason,
    > this does not work about 20% of the time. I don't know why. I just
    > thought if I hard-coded a URL, it would solve the problem.

    Is this anything similar to a parolee who must check in with the parole
    officer every week? <g>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 7, 2005