submit the form concept

strutsng

I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
languages.

On page1.php,
<form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">

means 2 steps here:
1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
HTTP POST method.
2) open otherpage.php

Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself, that means post the page
to itself, or this is called POST BACK.

Is that correct? Please advise & comment.

Thanks!!

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
languages.

Since I'm replying from clpmisc, and before somebody else says it: Perl
is used for more than web programming. Many seasoned Perl programmers
are not doing web programming at all.
On page1.php,
<form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">

means 2 steps here:
1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
HTTP POST method.

Almost agreed. Rather than submitting the form you submit a set of data
by help of the form.
2) open otherpage.php

I'd say: "ask otherpage.php to do something with the submitted data".
Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself,
Yes.

that means post the page to itself,

No. You don't post "the page", you post some data. Neither do you post
the data to "the page", you post them to the server, asking the server
to let _the script_ handle the data.
or this is called POST BACK.

Have never heard that expression.

Jürgen Exner

I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web
server. PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
languages.

Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying that you are _not_ talking about Perl.

[...]
Is that correct? Please advise & comment.

Don't know. Do you have a question about Perl, too?

jue

Erwin Moller

I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
languages.

On page1.php,
<form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">

means 2 steps here:
1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
HTTP POST method.
2) open otherpage.php

Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself, that means post the page
to itself, or this is called POST BACK.

Is that correct? Please advise & comment.

Thanks!!

Hi struts,

Please do not post to a zillion newsgroups.
That is annoying.
And now I am annoying everybody in groups I never visit too by replying to
them all.

It is a common mistake to expect faster answers by posting to all groups
that possibly might have something to do with your problem.
Many people get irritated when you do that, as you maybe noticed.

If you post to 1 active group, you will get your answer.
Posting to many groups will lead to broken threads, and thus discussions
become impossible to follow.
Especially simple questions like this one will be answered in no time in any
respectable group..

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Patrice

No there is a single step. Data are just posted to otherpage.php.

PostBack is the ASP.NET term for posting HTTP data to a page (likely because
in ASP.NET data are most frequently posted to the same page than the one who
displayed data)...

Tad McClellan

[ Followups set ]

it applies to any web programming
languages.

Then posting to a programming language newsgroup is inappropriate.

Also, how is a "web programming language" different from
a "programming language"?

Please advise & comment.

Don't make off-topic postings.